Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Sailor

Home Port: Virginia Beach
Default New Sailor Reporting Onboard

Hi everyone, I am reporting in from Virginia Beach, VA and looking forward to cruising teh Caribbean in the next few months if I can find a good crewing opportunity. My wife & I recently returned from a Carnival Cruise and after a stop in Antigua, I caught the sailing bug again. I owned a couple of small sailboats and ran a sailing program for the US Navy (44' Luder Yawls) but have no off-shore experience.

If you or anyone you know needs a crewmember for a few weeks up to 2 months starting in June 2012, please let me know. I don't smoke, am very fit, straight male (not looking for romance). I just want to sail with an experienced Skipper to get the knowledge/skills I need to do an extended cruise in the future. I am a retired Naval Officer with years at sea on Naval Ships (FF, DD, CV, auxillaries, etc).

I would love to crew, I am handy at most mechanical task, have a pretty solid background sailing; however, I know I have a lot to learn. I can reached via this post or email: rob "at" domavector "dot"com

Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard, Rob,

Suggest you place a copy of this over in our CrewFinder forum as well.

The Luders Naval Academy yawls are lovely boats. Did you attend the Academy as well and sail them as midshipman? Where was the sailing program where you managed a fleet of the yawls? Before being sold off they were spread around many Navy sailing facilities.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Sailor

Home Port: Virginia Beach
Default Reporting Onboard

I visited the crew finder section and searched for boats. I will post something there if I don't find a good opportunity soon.

I didn't attend the Naval Academy but received 2 of the yawls for the Sail Training Program at Naval Training Center, Great Lakes, IL after the Naval Academy retired them. The Naval Academy went to the Navyy 44s, the yawls were in well worn shape when we received them. We spent more time working on the Westerbeke's, refinishing the huls and repairing the topside decks than we did sailing. Fortunately for me we had a nice source of labor from the boot camp and also got help from the Navy's diesel engine school in the area. They were beautiful classic designs and a lot of fun to sail. I often wonder what happened to the ones at Great Lakes.