Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
Zog
Ensign

Hi everyone. My name is David and I'm from Queensland, Australia. I have never sailed before in my life, never gave it any thought really. I do love the ocean though and worked on a few fishing boats when I was younger. I have allways known that I would one day live on a boat of some kind, however I had allways envissaged a trawler type motor boat. For some reason it has only recently hit me that a yacht could be what I'm really after. Currently the only boat I own is a 17' powerboat that I take fishing from time to time. I have no problems spending 2 or 3 nights on board and the only thing that brings me home is the need for fuel or work commiments, I allways wish I could stay out longer.

Anyway, I am thinking that maybe I will look around for a small, trailerable sailboat in the next year or so that I can learn to sail in. Maybe after a year or two I can look at something a little bigger.

It is great forum you have here, and athough I won't really be able to contribute much, I just thought I would say hello so I don't feel like some wierdo lurking in the shaddows.

Cheers,

Dave.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Welcome to our group Dave. Any boat is good as long as you enjoy her and have fun. But a small sailboat is great for learning.

Vasilis

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post
I won't really be able to contribute much
Welcome aboard Dave.

You know, we ALL have something to contribute - even if it is just the experiences you gain whilst learning to sail and you buy your boat. I am sure there is more though - maybe something along professional lines? We always have folks asking questions about law, medicine, electronics, engines etc. etc.

We look forward to hearing how things turn out for you and when you get this far (I am in Spain) with your boat I will buy you a drink!

Cheers Dave. It is good to have you here.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Dave. Make yourself comfortable and don't be shy.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Zog
Ensign

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. There is so much information and experience here, I am sure I will find it a very helpfull rescource.

Sailing for me may be a little way off yet as other things have to take priority, paying off debts, buying a house etc etc, but I am only young (33) so have plenty of time ahead of me yet. But, as one gets older, we start to realise how quickly our lives can change and that dreams should maybe not be put on hold, else we may never realise them. It seems strange to me that I have never given sailing a thought until recently, having had a love for the ocean for as long as I can remember. Despite that love, I have spent almost my entire life living hundreds of miles away from the nearest ocean, how bizzare. I enjoyed a few years working on fishing boats early on, but the money made was not enough to keep me at it. Nowdays I work in a coal mine, the money is good, the working conditions are good and we get plenty of time off. It's not a job I would want to give up for a while, so long range cruising will be a long time away yet, but week long trips would be no problem.

Getting a bit ahead of myself, I know, but just the thought of being able to stay at sea for a week at a time has me quite excited. I am probably quite fortunate in that the Whitsunday Islands are pretty much on my doorstep so there will be no shortage of weekend cruising targets available. There are many islands to the south as well around 60 NM away, well out of the range of my powerboat, but within range of a sailboat with a few days to spare. I have no qualms about heading out into the wide blue yonder on my own in my current boat for days at a time, so a sailboat would appear to be right up my alley. I have been doing much reading on the basics of sailing and am starting to get a grasp of the fundamentals, of course putting that into practice is a very different thing. Most would probably sugest a sailing course, but I tend to do things a little differently to most. Anything I choose to learn in life usually begins with lots of reading and research so I get the concept worked out in my head first, then, I have a go. When it doesn't go to plan, I find out why and make sure I don't do it again. It might not be the easiest way to learn things, but it's just the way I am.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome, I'm sure I will enjoy my time here.

Oh, and Nausikaa, concerning this :-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
We look forward to hearing how things turn out for you and when you get this far (I am in Spain) with your boat I will buy you a drink!
Don't start pouring just yet, but I hope to one day be able to take you up on that offer.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

G'Day Dave and well done on making the decision.

All you need to do now if put it into action - which should not be too tough.

Suggest you consider a 20 off foot trailer sailor yacht as a starter - it's what we first acquired when in WA and enjoyed many a weekend sailing and stopping away.

Anyway - wish you all the best - and do be sure to keep us all posted with progress.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
Ensign

welcome
Old 02-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Welcome Dave,

You are starting out as many of us did, I more recently than most. The small, trailerable sailboat is where we began, and I can't say that the larger boats that we have now have proven to be any more fun. Many of our best sailing memories were made in a 22 foot boat!

There is some truth to the saying that it takes a short time to learn to sail, but a lifetime to master it. That will keep it interesting along the way. It has certainly never become boaring for us!

Some of the best sailors that I know started out in sailing dinghies. They tend to amplify mistakes and somewhat hasten the learning curve. Welcome aboard, and I hope that you enjoy this most enjoyable pastime/lifestyle.

David