Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-11-2015, 12:52 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Block Island
Default Outboard Power for an Outremer 43

I recently bought an older Outremer 43 that needs a full refit including new outboard power. It's set up for a single central outboard on a retractable mount. The motor was stolen and no one presently associated with the boat knows what size it was. The boat is a very light and slim performance sailor and will undoubtedly sail very well, but I need reliable and efficient power for a 2000 mile coastal summer delivery trip. I've owned two smaller outboard powered cats, and circumnavigated on a larger Outremer diesel cat, but I'm hoping that there is someone out there with first hand knowledge and experience on these boats who can give me some real insight.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:09 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I cannot give you any advice about the outboard requirements for this vessel and, given your history with the brand, I guess any testimonial would be akin to preaching to the choir. However, a friend of mine had an Outremer 40. It was superbly quick, shallow in draft and once, he went straight above a reef which I had to sail 18 miles around to end up in the same anchorage. The only criticism he had of the boat was its load carrying capacity on a long passage and tendency to bang a bit in a heavy sea. Still, this is a familiar mantra for those who sail cats generally. Good luck with finding a new power plant.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

Smaller cats often use the Yamaha 9.9 high thrust long shaft. This is a very good engine but you may want more HP. I don't know of any other high thrust engines I am afraid.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:13 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Weeki Wachee, FL

My gut says take a look at the Yamaha T25, but my head says to check the retractable motor mount for hp rating or listed manufacturer and model number, to research it's rating first.

Thrust Motor, Outboard Engines | Yamaha Outboards

Mike