Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSkipper

Hello Everyone,

I recently retired from the military and bought a Pearson Triton. It's currently on the hard slowly being worked on. I plan to go south to the Keys and live on her. I will live cheap and save money to finish refitting her to cruising specs and then I'm off. I hope to learn from the people on this site, because this is a new life for me.

Regards to all,

Jeff

S/V Alcyone

"If one does not know to which port is sailing, no wind is favorable."
TritonSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonSkipper View Post
Hello Everyone,

I recently retired from the military and bought a Pearson Triton. It's currently on the hard slowly being worked on. I plan to go south to the Keys and live on her. I will live cheap and save money to finish refitting her to cruising specs and then I'm off. I hope to learn from the people on this site, because this is a new life for me.

Regards to all,

Jeff
Hi, Jeff,

Welcome to the Cruiser Log

I have fond memories of sailing a Peason Triton in Corpus Christi, Texas in the early 1980's. We crewed for a fellow who did Wednesday night beer can racing there.

Are you doing the work yourself? It is very rewarding to do so and you'll know your boat inside out What is your sailing experience? What brought you to this particular boat? We'd love to hear more about your story and look forward to answering questions you may have.

Oh, where are you now? Hopefully somewhere that you will find some nice sailing and cruising to do before heading to the Keys?

Fair winds,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSkipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Hi, Jeff,

Welcome to the Cruiser Log

I have fond memories of sailing a Peason Triton in Corpus Christi, Texas in the early 1980's. We crewed for a fellow who did Wednesday night beer can racing there.

Are you doing the work yourself? It is very rewarding to do so and you'll know your boat inside out What is your sailing experience? What brought you to this particular boat? We'd love to hear more about your story and look forward to answering questions you may have.

Oh, where are you now? Hopefully somewhere that you will find some nice sailing and cruising to do before heading to the Keys?

Fair winds,

Brenda
Hi Brenda,

Thanks for the response! I am attempting to do the work myself. I have the bottom sanded to the gelcoat. Need to redo the electric, bought some stuff for that. Need to get atomic 4 running, other than that she is ready to splash lol. I have no idea what I'm doing and I ran into a wall financially, so I lost motivation for a while. It has been sitting untouched now for 3 months at the marina on the hard. But I started getting the itch again, so I thought I'd reach out and find motivation and inspiration. I have zero sailing experience...zero...I read James Baldwin's adventures on Atom and knew that was the boat for me. I am currently in CT and as you can see, no sailing in my future for a while.

Regards

Jeff

S/V Alcyone

"If one does not know to which port is sailing, no wind is favorable."
TritonSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:20 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hi, Jeff,

Ah, get the motivation back! Boat in the water as quickly as possible and then you can do some sailing on your own boat In the meanwhile, perhaps you know some sailors in your marina who can help you out with some sailing time?

Atomic 4...do you know what is wrong with it? Major, minor? How's the rest of the boat? rig and so on?

Are you now working another job after your retirement? As such--not much time for working on the boat?

Fair winds,

Brenda and David

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome to the forums Jeff. Make yourself at home.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Welcome to Cruiser Log Jeff. As a fellow retiree I can tell you that cruising is the best way to enjoy one's retirement.

Fair Winds

Vasilis

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote