Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Ensign

Greetings World Cruisers!

I have a dream.... that one day... I will sail around the WORLD! That is the idea anyway. I joined this forum to see what I can pick up about ocean cruising. I am also considering books/magazines to get if anyone has some suggestions.

Long story short: I am 25 years old and want to sail around the globe before I am married or otherwise obligated. I have realized after 7-8 months in the workplace that I have but one life to life (debatable depending on your religion I suppose) and that I had better make the best of it (noone on their death bed every says "I wish I would have worked more"). My best friend and I have been talking about finding a fixer-upper and spending a few years fixing it up for under $50k (realistic or not... that is the goal). We think that there ought to be something up on Lake Superior that is seaworthy that we can fix up, sail out the St. Lawrence waterway, down to the Bahamas/BVI/all the other great spots in the Gulf, work in the Caymans for a while to pay for the Panama canal and then shoot over to HI, Samoas, & finally New Zealand.

SO, that being said I am really anxious to get input and advice from everything to how long a cruiser we should get (I am thinking 45'-55' for a [permanent] crew of 2) to what it takes to navigate and endure the open seas.

Both my friend and I are fairly experienced sailors on inland lakes (I was in a Regatta on a Hobie Tiger in HK last year) and are raring to do this! Finance is one thing, but where there is a will there is a way... and there is DEFINITELY a will.

Anything anyone has to offer is greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,

-Nick from MN

Old 07-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Nick.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Admiral

http://www.boats.com/

http://sailboattraderonline.com

First, look at what is available in your price range. I would say that a boat in your price range would most likely need around $20,000 or more to fix it up. More if you have no experience and will be learning as you go.

Can it be done? Look at some of the contributors to this forum and you will see it can be done. How much? No idea. Find a boat first and then you will have a better idea of what it would cost to fix it up.

Are you a US citizen? If so, what skills do you bring to the table for working outside the US? If you expect to work illegally, you are either competing against the non-skilled labor of the country you are visiting, or depending on selling your services to other yachties. Keep in mind that the US is kinder than many/most countries. The US doesn't put people in jail when they're caught working illegally. Other countries aren't so considerate, particularly those countries where they don't feel an obligation to feed their jailed "guests".

Have you considered signing on to crew on other boats to get you around the world? Helps build your skill set and is a lot cheaper. Easier to bail out if it's not for you or your friend.

Lots of questions, not many answers for you this early in your dream. If you haven't done it already, take the time to read more about cruising and voyaging on this board. It might help.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote