Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Austin
Default something very, very, wrong...

Something very wrong with me. I've made my living on the water most of my adult life, and intentionally moved inland to the area I grew up to escape the water... kind of. I thought living on the shores of Lake Travis would reign in those gypsy vibes.. but the low lake level from the drought hasn't helped.

Once again I find myself with that urge to to something totally insane... like buy a boat. I work on vessels of 200-300' for 4-5 weeks, and then I'm home for an equal amount of time off (more or less). I may have a problem. I may need to combat that urge with some crewing time or just listen and talk to cruisers before I step over the edge... thank you for support in my moment of crisis

HCS

Old 08-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Seems like you are drawn and i don't feel there is anything wrong with you ... so do it ... step over the edge. My only regret is that I didn't do it earlier in life.

Follow your own path, wherever it may lead.

Lots of luck,

Lexx

Old 08-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I eschewed the boating life in Australia for an extended motorcycle tour in Asia. One is usually drawn back in. It's like a failed divorce. You know? The one where you have to keep going back for just one last stoush. The bike goes in a few weeks, I get on the big silver bird, fly from Chiang Mai to Osaka, Los Angeles, Phoenix and then to Mexico to remarry with the life of the ocean gypsy.
T'ain't nuthin wrong...It's the salt in your veins which needs a top up. Don't fight it. And, at the moment, boats in the US are still, relatively speaking, dirt cheap. There will always be some sort of positive consequence when someone crashes an economy.
Buy and be happy!
Best of luck.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Austin

I suppose one could say this is positive reenforcement (or negative). Thanks Auzzee and Lexx. Or perhaps we could sum it up in a few words from the community I live in... our motto is; "We're All Here Because We're Not All There". I understand completely the ex wife analogy.. a recent dicussion with a Brasilian associate put it like this when referring to an ex girl friend he was going to see later that evening. "She is like McDonalds'... you know it is bad for you but you keep going back". Not a McNasty's fan, but it communicated very well.

I guess we are all drawn to it for different yet similar reasons... yep... that driving the economy thing into the ground. Don't get me started. Very sad state of affairs, your absolutely right. One man's disaster is another mans opportunity. Roll with it as it comes and goes. Thanks guys.

HCS