Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi, i'm relativly new to all this, i've finished comp crew and day skipper courses and would now like to buy my first boat. i have a budget of 20k for the boat alone. i'm looking for something in the 30-34 foot range, solidly built, that I could trust on long ocean crusies when I get more competent. I'm looking in the UK, and the boat should be comfortable enough for at least two people.

Could you please recommend some models to look out for which i might find in the UK?

Thanks a lot in advance, i apologise if these questions get asked a lot, i've searched but can't find an answer.

Michael

Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Michael - ask as many questions as you want.

Someone will be along shortly with some ideas for you I'm sure.

Hope you find your dream boat soon.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Admiral

Welcome aboard Michael,

It is difficult to give any recomendations without knowing a little more about your requitrements but you certainly should be able to find a god second hand boat within that price range.

We are all different but if I had that ammount to incest in a boat which would take me safely over the oceans I woul be looking at a long-keeled boat such as:

* Victoria

* Vancouver 27/28 (maybe a tod outside the budget though)

* You might also consider the Contessa 26 although she is a bit smaller than the boat you are looking for

* Cape Dory 28

or if you are prepared to look in Scandinavia, where boat prices often are a bit more reasonable, look at the following:

* OE32 (maybe a bit too expensive)

* Allegro 33 or her smaller sister the Allegro27

* L 32

* Vagabond 31

* Vega (a lot of boat for the money but maybe a bit too small for you)

* Storfidra, again the above applies re size and cost

These are just a few of the options. There is a good Russian site (Russian language only) http://goodboats.ru/ with listings of many suitable boats. Click arround the site. Even if your Rusian is a little rusty or perhaps non existant you can follow much of the information from the picturse and the basic boat facts.

If ou need any halp at alöl with the Scandinavian boats then let me know, I can assist in translations. That also applies to Russian too but there I certainly am a bit rough.

Good luck with your search

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

WELCOME

BEST WISHES on finding the right boat for you. yachtworld.com is a great place to do research on boats. You can see what the boats look like inside, and out. Also do some comparison shopping on price too.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

If you are willing to travel to California to buy a boat, there is a 1970 Columbia 43 that has been repo'd sitting for sale in Long Beach...it would make a great fixer-upper for someone.

The asking price is $34k US...but I'm sure you could get it for mid $20K. Needs lots of work, but it would be worth it in the end.

http://www.lbys.com/site_page_230/item_342...um_index_1.html

http://www.columbia-yachts.com/specs.html
Old 05-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
If you are willing to travel to California to buy a boat, there is a Columbia 40 that has been repo'd sitting for sale in Long Beach...it would make a great fixer-upper for someone.
But remember, if you buy a boat outside EU and bring it home (I assume your home is in the UK) then you will have to get it classed according to the Eurean Recreational Craft Directive. In short - a nightmare! The legislation is loathsome and imho is there only to protect European boat builders but the fact remains that you will have to follow the regs. Also, you will have to pay VAT on any boat bought outside Europe uless VAT has been paid in an EU state.

Bad news but better to hear it now rather than later

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 05-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Stephen,

If I moved to the EU on my 30yo vessel, would I have to go through all this as well?

Ken
Old 05-03-2008, 05:30 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Stephen,

If I moved to the EU on my 30yo vessel, would I have to go through all this as well?

Ken
I am affriad so. Ridiculous is it not?

The rule applies to ALL boats imported (not visitors) to the EU. The issue that really makes it ridiculous is that any boat which was in use in the EU prior to the legislation being enacted is exempt unless the boat is exported from the EU and then brought back.

If I took NAUSIKAA to South Africa, lived there for say three years and then brought her back (or just put a non-EU flag on her) then she would be subject to the Directive on her return despite the fact that there are a couple of hundred boats of the same type which are safely sailing around the EU. Even a well proven and seaworthy craft, like the Flicka, would have to be tested and would probably fail on some ridiculous item.

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 05-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
Ensign

Hello, thanks for all your useful replies, i've started looking into the Contessa and really like what i see, with my budget i could find a second hand contessa 32 which would be more than adequate size-wise and has a good seaworthy record. Plus I think it looks pretty good

My new concern is mooring costs, am I right to budget about 2k a year or would it be possible to find something cheaper (i'm in London) ?? I need a rough idea of how much it will cost me a year to run.

Thanks again

Michael
Old 05-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
Admiral

Michael

Mooring prices in the UK are beyond belief!

Nausikaa is in Denmark. She is kept ashore in a hangar like building and launched by the boatyard when I need her at a fraction of the price a UK berth would cost. Being ashore and indoors she is well protected from the elements. I pay about £2000 p.a. in total for that service, which also includes the cradle and hull cleaning.

I know many UK boat owners living in the south of the country keep their boats in France. With cheap Ryanair/Eurojet flights that seems to be a good option. I would suggest you look into the French option.

The Contessa is a great boat. Based on the Folkboat, she is very seaworthy if a trifle less roomy than more modern designs. In my books a long-keeler wins hands down as far as sea-keeping in northern European waters is concerned.

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 05-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
Ensign

It is far from London but Scotland's west coast has a few good marinas at reasonable prices. The Clyde in particular has rather a lot. I can recommend the marina at Largs. As compensation for 6 hours motorway driving from London you will have instant access to a fine cruising area.

James Lidstone-Collingwood
Old 05-07-2008, 04:08 AM   #12
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

You appear to be on the right track... The Contessa 32 would be my choice. It is a well built boat, though it can be on the "wet" side in large seas... Please ensure that you have it surveyed because picking a good brand and model does not ensure a good boat. Also be aware that there are some differences in the earlier and later models also depending on where they were built. But don't get tunnel vision and settle only one one model or brand and miss the great deals that are sometime right in front of you!

Good hunting and fair winds,

David

s/v Friendship
Old 05-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
Ensign

Thanks everyone for the comments, i do keep checking back. I'm trying to keep an open mind, and understand the Rival 34 would also be a good choice but might be at the higher side of my price range - Am I spending too much on my first boat?

I've now got to convince my other half of the whole idea :-(

Thanks again

Michael
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #14
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestmichael View Post
I've now got to convince my other half of the whole idea :-(
The concept might be easy for her to accept but wait until you tell her that there is only room for 3 pairs of shoes onboard!

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 05-11-2008, 04:42 AM   #15
Admiral

Michael,

If you are still looking, a well equiped Sorfidra has come up for sale. She is in the Canaries. Info available, in Swedish, here.

No photo either but if you are interested contact the seller. I am sure there are photos. Need any help with translation then conact me.

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 05-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #16
Ensign

Hi Stepehen,

Thanks for the tip of the Storifra, i'm actually thinking of spending less now as this is my first boat and I don't think I really thought about how much more i'll have to spend on equipment and mooring fees.

I'm actually considering the Contessa 26, although a wet boat she has a good record, i'm just worried about her being too small for a 6'1" 27 year old.

I need to go and see one, i've seen Red Admiral advertised for sale but I fear she needs Osmosis treatment (whatever that is) which can be expensive.

So, i'll keep you informed but if you know of any good condition Contessa 26's or a reason not to buy one, please let me know.

Thanks again guys

Michael
Old 05-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
Admiral

Hello Michael,

The Contessa is a good boat. There is no doubt about that. The only reason I can think of for not buying a Contessa is that, because of their ability as cruising boats, they are sought after and do demand a higher price than many similar boats.

Don't worry about space. I am 6' 2" and 53 years old (so larger girth I would imagine) and can happily live in a 26' boat - as long as the headroom is ok.

Osmosis treatment is another chapter and yes it can be expensive. The question is, do you, or rather the boat, need it? The answer to that will depend upon what you want to do with the boat. If you are interested in cruising with her for the next 20 years then I do not believe that a full osmosis treatment is necessary unless the hull is really far gone and "stogy". Otherwise, treat the blisters as they come along. If you are pedantic, as I tend to be, then go for the full treatment but, a word of warning, the treatment can cost more than the value of the boat in some circumstances. My advice would be to get a surveyor to look at the boat and present a report as to the condition and an estimate of costs to bring her up to scratch.

As far as a boat being a "wet" boat is concerned, I have a theory that wet boats are good sea boats. They are wet because they are not being thrown around, as a result of their weight and hull form, and therefore tend to go more through the waves then hopping over them. This makes a boat wet but comfortable.

Keep us posted as to how things go.

All the best

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #18
Ensign

The only Contessa 26 I can find for sale is in Bangor which is 4 hours at best from London, if I viewed it and liked it i'd need to move it to the South Coast of England where I could sail and work on her at weekends. Does anyone know how easy/difficult this would be?

Can Contessa 26's be road trailered easily? Do I need any special permissions and more importantly how much would it cost? I wouldn't feel confident sailing her round before doing some work and checking reliability, not to mention the time commitment that would take. Plus my inexperience, I think Road trailer would be the only option?

Sorry to bother you all with more questions...

Thanks

Michael
Old 05-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #19
Ensign

ok, so i made some calls and found out the cost of trailering the boat, it's looking at being around £600 which isn't too bad I don't think. Now i just need to go and arrange to see her, oh and convince the other half :-)

Michael
Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #20
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Aye // Stephen
I didn't mean to make "wet" sound bad, I only meant "wet" as some folks don't like that. My boat (a Pearson Vanguard 32.5) is "wet" and I wouldn't trade her for a "dry" boat. Sorry if someone felt mislead. My sea comfort is wonderful so far, and I love porpoising through the waves as others pound! David