Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello friends

We are planning on moving north from San Diego to the Pac NW soon Does anyone have some good advise or local knowledge regarding weather and the best times to travel. We can probably get to San Fransisco in about 2 or 3 days and wait for a while before making the last leg to cape flattery (5 days) What kind of weather windows can one expect in Feb or so. Are there some good hidey holes to seek shelter in case the weather turns bad. We like to remain fair weather sailors if we can... Thanks for reading love to hear from you...

Dennis

Old 12-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Ensign

This isn't the time of year for sailing up the coast. As far as places to duck into, most of the harbors along the Oregon, Washington coast have bars that are all but impassable when the weather comes up. Stay where ya are until at least June. We've had gales every week, sometimes several times a week since Sept 1. Three weeks ago, it was 114 knots and 48' combined seas.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
This isn't the time of year for sailing up the coast. As far as places to duck into, most of the harbors along the Oregon, Washington coast have bars that are all but impassable when the weather comes up. Stay where ya are until at least June. We've had gales every week, sometimes several times a week since Sept 1. Three weeks ago, it was 114 knots and 48' combined seas.
Sounds pretty scarry any other comments out there?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

I don't know how I missed this one. SCARRY is not embelishing. You can do day hops until Santa Barbara. Then it is a good distance to any safety after that. I rounded Point Conception in 45 knot winds going south. I would not have wanted to be going north. Read 2 years before the mast, and you will understand.

I left Santa Barbara in Oct, and made SF in 52 hours in a 30ft. Columbia sloop motoring. After S.F. there are few, and what there are are small anchorages heading north. Keep us informed if you decide to go, or whenever you decide to go.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
Ensign

[q
Quote:
uote name='imagine2frolic' date='Jan 8 2008, 04:58 PM' post='16738']

I don't know how I missed this one. SCARRY is not embelishing. You can do day hops until Santa Barbara. Then it is a good distance to any safety after that. I rounded Point Conception in 45 knot winds going south. I would not have wanted to be going north. Read 2 years before the mast, and you will understan
I did the last part of this trip (to Puget Sound) a few years ago in a sailboat in early summer in good weather. We would tack out to sea with our last sight of land a tall tree on top of a hill. Then we'd tack back. Same damn tree. We did this a lot before we got there. (Is this what they call the "tall tree method" of navigation?) Anyway, I read "Two Years Before The Mast" after we got back and learned, IIRC, that sailors back in the day along that coast didn't talk about "north" or "south"; they referred to "upwind" and "downwind", and nobody ever had to ask which was which. That explained a lot.

None of this has much to do with a tugboat, except to highlight prevailing conditions. The ride is always rougher going uphill - throw in a little(!) weather and it'll get your attention. All the best, whatever you decide.

Bill
Old 01-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Ensign

This next week might be the perfect opportunity weather wise. The High looks to be stalled off the coast until at least the 24th. Enjoy the trip.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Keep an eye on "StormW"'s excellent daily synopses:

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/index.php?showforum=53

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Keep an eye on "StormW"'s excellent daily synopses:

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/index.php?showforum=53
Thanks for the tip on the weather. We have managed to find a more permanent slip here in San deigo so it looks like we will be staying for a few more months.. I would like to remove this topic from the forum but I couldn't find a way to do it .Can you help?

Best regards

Denny
Old 01-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Hi Denny

We can't delete the topic because there are 3rd party contributions. We can move it to another board if you wish - your topic, your decision.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
Ensign

Waiting until April's probably a good call so enjoy the ride and holler once ya get up in my neck of the woods.

Tags
pacific