Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi, my name is Jesse, I'm 23, and I'm looking for information about sailing and other kinds of ships.

I'm about to graduate from college this spring and intend to spend some time traveling around and writing. I've always been an adventurous traveler and a hard worker; I've worked on a cattle ranch and small farms, packed mules in the Sierras, and spent time on every continent except Africa and Antarctica (though I'd like to get to both of them).

I'd really like to try my hand at sailing, and figure out a way to get from North America to Europe for as little money as possible. I'm just trying to figure out how feasible this plan is. Do boat owners hire people like me (reliable, hardworking, intelligent... but with no sailing experience) to work on ships? Do people sail from North America to Europe? What route do they take?

Ideally I'd like to work on a ship going from the East Coast of the United States that sails up the eastern coast of Canada, past Greenland and Iceland, and ends up somewhere in Europe, but again, I have almost no information. Is this a common route? How do I go about learning more or finding someone willing to take me on?

Thanks so much, I'm really looking forward to learning more,

Jesse

Old 01-24-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decilar View Post

Hi, my name is Jesse, I'm 23,

I'm about to graduate from college this spring and intend to spend some time traveling around and writing.
Jesse,

What will be your major when you graduate? In order to travel and write will require financing, how do you intend to do that?

Your best course of action might be to move to the coast and find work in the boating or shipping industry, at least that way you will be gaining relevant experience and building a nest egg.\

Here's a link to give you an idea:- C L I C K

Old 01-24-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
Rear Admiral

G'day Jesse. Follow Richards advise, you'll not get much better - in you whole life. The link is full of great leads (thanks Richard 10/10 as usual). Go to your local sailing or yacht club & get on as a crew. That's the starting point for sailing. Go to the commercial wharves in a sea-port & get a job, that's the starting point for shipping jobs, knowledge & traveling. Work hard at fulfilling your dreams and they will come true. Good fortune & stay focused. Ciao, james Remember - take the first step. Do it, just do it.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Admiral

Hi, Jesse,

What school are you attending? My nephew is in school in New Haven, graduating this spring also.

If you are looking for commercial ships, whether cruise ships or freighters, the route you are interested in is an uncommon one. For sure any ship or private vessel is not going to be venturing north to Iceland in the winter, nor would you want to be on one of them if you had your 'druthers. If you're looking to hitch-hike as crew, well, you might check out our Crewfinder to get an idea of where private yachts are traveling.

Generally, East Coast US private yachts sail to Bermuda, then jump off from there to Europe, either to the UK or the Med. Those that head for Nova Scotia or Newfoundland for the summer aren't usually heading to Europe that year from that location. And you most likely wouldn't get on a sailboat with either destination without experience. Sailing across oceans is not for the novice. Do you even know if you get seasick?

Another good source of information and ideas might be The Triton, Nautical News for Captains and Crew

which caters more to private yachts and chartering.

With no experience you are at a competitive disadvantage, and as Silver Raven suggests, learning how to sail, and volunteering as crew at the local yacht clubs, is one way to start getting a working knowledge of yachts and sailing.

All that said, you can do it.

Good luck.

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote