Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Crestline
Default Volunteer at your service

Hello all skippers/captains,
a friend and myself are saving our extra income to buy a boat for the liveaboard life. Neither of us, however, have any sailing experience. Which brings me to my offer:
I am more than willing to volunteer on a vessel and really learn the ropes that way when the time comes, I am prepared for my expedition. (As prepared as one could be at sea anyways!) I am not asking any compensation for any services I may preform, just the opportunity to learn! As of now my schedule is free to go out for days, weeks, or even months if necessary. The more time out on the water as far as I am concerned, the better!
Hope to hear from someone willing to take me up on my offer. I can offer a fit, able, and high spirited body as a temporary addition to your crew with the desire to learn. As well as the capability and confidence to preform just about any task.
Not to mention I am a musician if your up for some music on board! (Optional) HA HA
Thanks for your time;
-Jordan

Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Jordan, aiming for a liveaboard life is a fine goal and one which brings great satisfaction and joy to the world's cruising community. While I am sure you will find many people who will be willing to help you learn, I suggest you make yourselves known at the local sailing clubs and offer to take part as casual race crew, and to volunteer to learn the ropes on safety and start boats.

Some experience is always more welcome than no experience when you are looking to join a sailing boat as crew. Particularly if the boat is voyaging. Even watchkeeping requires some elemental knowledge.

The general rule for even experienced sailors joining a voyaging boat is that they share expenses. You will be expected to share the costs of provisioning on an equal basis and you will need to pull your weight onboard.

Unless you gain qualifications and then seek a spot on a commercial vessel or skippered private yacht, you will receive no financial compensation. Crew are taken on to assist in the running of the ship whilst they travel across the seas and oceans of the world with the only financial transaction being the sharing of costs.

It is a great way to see the world, meet new friends and experience things which are not generally on offer to the dirt dwellers.

Best of luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
Ensign

Thank you Auzzee! That helps. My only problem is I don't live in an area that has any sailing clubs or anything of that nature. Which is why I am trying to fid someone who would agree to take me out if I travel to them. I will be moving once I buy a liveaboard. I understand my lack of experience will really hold me back, but I figure if I keep at it and am patient I might have some luck. Thank you for your response! I welcome any advice and help people are willing to give! Cheers mate!
-jordan
Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Where do you live? Are there lakes or rivers nearby? Even small boat (dinghy) sailing will help you.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Ensign

There ARE a couple of lakes about 30-45 mins from here. Anytime I've been around there I haven't heard of any sailing clubs, but will definitely check it out! Thank you