Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: To Be Determined
Default Yo - better late than never

Yo everyone...I go by 'JP'

Although being a member for over two months I had not realized that I never introduced myself ... sorry for that oversight. So in reflection here are some tidbits about me.

I have wanted to own a sailboat since the seventies; to venture forth and circumnavigate, but, as with many others out there, life twisted my path into different directions.

I have never owned a boat but have hopes of buying one within the next two years. I do spend time looking at boats online and have seen a few that would possibly fit my needs. My goal is a cat or tri sailboat ... of course funds and models available will dictate which one is possible. I like the platforms of both and will be looking into older used vessels which are viable, still feel the call of the blue and have an aspect of spirit.

I have over twenty years of professional experience using powerboats (steel, aluminum and fiberglass). Most of this time was spent within the coastal U.S. (eastern and gulf) with a couple years of blue water. I do not have any organizational certification for my experience. I have never learned celestial nav nor used GPS ... I am from the old school of DR, Omega and Loran. I know GPS is easy and will learn celestial within the next couple years. I have extensive knowledge into waterside safety and emergency procedures (tho not current by over ten years and very rusty). I think that I have experienced every kind of weather on the water and not always by choice ... hopefully someday such an assumption will not prove me a fool.

In conclusion: I am landlocked but I have been fortunate enough to go out on some short day trips with friends on their sailboats. I do so look forward to the next time I can be in the right place at the right time. I expect that during the summer and fall of this year I should have time available to go adventure. I feel that more time on others boats 'crewing' and 'sail handling' is a prudent path to follow before I get my own boat.

One last note: Tho maybe not of great importance here on this site, I am and have been a vegan (tho I do have an affliction for non-rennet cheese at random times) since the early seventies. I no longer use the term 'vegetarian' because it has been so corrupted by corporate marketing crap and their phantom ingredients thereby changing the terms original use.

Be well,

JP
JPPonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard--we're glad to hear about you!

Enjoy the forums--contribute where you can and ask questions as well.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Swab

Home Port: Honolulu
Vessel Name: Lealea

Don't let the lack of "professional" training stop you from getting out there. I have never taken a sailing class. Look into joining a delivery crew and gain some experience without the additional stress of being in charge. My first three passages were made on other peoples boats and I learned a tremendous amount just seeing how other boats were set up and figuring out what will and won't work on my boat.

Your desire to get out there oozes out of your story. Get out there and have some fun. I'm going to make breakfast now, hmmmmmmm bacon and eggs I think.

The best boat to sail on is your friends........

Fair Winds
Mate1860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Welcome to Cruiser Log. Please take a look to our Cruiser's Guide wiki, even better contribute your knowledge.

Wish the best in acquiring a boat.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
Lieutenant

I like sailing on other people's boats. Lots of boat owners like having an extra hand on board for short delivery type trips. You can find out who needs help by looking at the crewfinder here and by getting in touch with the bigger yacht clubs near you. Where are you now exactly?