Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #61
Ensign

Home Port: sydney
Vessel Name: pegasus

I purchased a second hand jib for my boat because the price was right and the old one had seen better days , not exactly correct size but close , figured it would do until I got a new one . It was a hank on , I have a furler so I took hanks off put on sail slugs and ran it up the track . I wouldn't use it furled but it does the job . Still using it , got a new main instead .

Old 07-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #62
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Just a thought ... most of the damage to the sail was stitching coming undone between panels, although a little tearing has occurred. If I got it repaired by having a UV strip fitted would that be worthwhile? My doubt is whether the UV strip material is as strong as regular sail cloth.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:46 AM   #63
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The UV is not as strong as sailcloth. It is there only to act like a parasol. However, you can have the sail resewn, and it is not expensive. If the leech is torn, it can be recut, or patched. Resewing the sail also allows you to get rid of any unnecessary bagginess which will give new efficiency to an old sail.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:20 AM   #64
Admiral

Probably needed doing anyhow, it was obviously UV affected otherwise it wouldn't have torn when the stitching on the edge let go.

High winds here today, along with about a metre of short chop. I'm being swung around the anchor at the rate of about 90 degrees in two seconds. Not comfortable at all, I think a really big storm is brewing.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:16 AM   #65
Admiral

Yacht right next to mine broke mooring and ended up on the rocks on the other side of the river. I spotted it was missing within about 45 minutes of the event (it was there, then it wasn't) and the owner was called. They've just towed him to the jetty. Wild day indeed.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:37 AM   #66
Admiral

Del is off again. Left Suwarrow and is heading for Samoa.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #67
Admiral

Seems as if that cold snap a couple of weeks ago was rougher than I realized. Neighbor told me today that this yacht broke mooring and was rescued by QLD Maritime. Evidently they messed around for about 3 hours untangling the anchor chain again. I guess that loose jib pulled it away down river.

That also explains why there's now a fender and rope attached to the darned anchor now I suppose. It's wrapping around the chain so I'll have to remove it.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:44 AM   #68
Admiral

Just bought a second tender, so I won't have to move the first one between Sydney and Brisbane when I travel interstate. This is pretty good because when I put it in the van it always drips on my bedding, and the dying barnacles smell awful.

The other downside is that if there's a dinghy in the back I can't actually use the bed, so I can't stop off on the way. This trip I had to bring the trailer as well, which makes parking tricky when I go shopping. In short, I really needed another dinghy.

It's identical to the one I have but in much better condition, and this time I didn't pay $600 for it, but a mere fiddy bucks. The guy in a nearby yacht bought it for his girlfriend to row aboard but she never used it, then buggered off anyhow. So he wanted it gone.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #69
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

Finally managed to get Eleuthera onto the hard on wednesday morning. Had her own little eco system growing underneath.
After the water blasting found a couple of little chips where she had bumped a few things here and there. Tad of a grind and some hempel. Replaced three skin fittings, two ball valves and the gland packing on main shaft. Serviced engine and gearbox. Found water inlet to engine had been fitted back to front by previous owner when fitting new engine so removed and replaced with new bolts the right way round,,,,Duh..
A Couple of new coats of anti foul and have booked her to be lauched at 11.30 friday.
Then the friends and family that helped with this little task and I are going to wander up to the Houtman Abrolhos for a week.
The it starts all over again I get stuck into Stand Easy's refit...Wife wants more wood less paint...Aha,
Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 AM   #70
Admiral

That should tide you over for a while. More wood? Good grief, as long as she's willing to do the annual treatment I suppose.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #71
Admiral

Del just announced he's getting married. Crikey, a bit radical that.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #72
GOF

Did he meet a mermaid on his trip?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #73
Admiral

No, he's marrying the Vietnamese girlfriend he had at the start of the trip. Once he arrived in Asia they were going to be spending some time together anyhow, I guess the trip gave him a chance to think it over and come to this decision.

I wish him all the best.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #74
GOF

Same here
Old 08-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #75

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Thanks guys.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #76
Admiral

I've been a bit absent lately, so this is just to let you know I'm still here.

The court hearing happened yesterday. We lost 21% of my father's estate plus $50k in legals and 40% tax on all income for the past two years, but at least it's over. The assets of the estate will probably be put on the market within a fortnight to pay out the "winner", unless we can somehow find interest-only finance for $250k in a real hurry.

Things should normalize again soon around here, although my income will permanently drop to a level that may make the sailing lifestyle impossible. I'll probably have to go back to work and am considering selling both yachts at this stage. Very discouraged indeed.

Cautionary tale: if you need to make out a will, get it done properly and be sure it can't be challenged. If you get it wrong the ones who will gain from your errors are the sponges, the lawyers and the government.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:31 AM   #77
Admiral

One week before I leave Shenoa for Sydney again. I'm off to NZ for the remainder of the year, hopefully to do some work on the house. With the current state of finances I would have cancelled if I could but the tickets were bought in April and are not refundable.

I also plan to collect my airplane from Hamilton, and before the great financial debacle occurred was also planning to do some flying lessons. That may still happen if the aero club takes credit cards but they're not responding to emails.

In fact I'm finding getting anything done in the aviation area in NZ to be a right royal PITA. Both organizations responsible for recreational aviation are full of self-important twonks who make up the rules as they go along, and don't understand the actual legal requirements. Sailing is a lot less stressful.

Went ashore for the weekly shower and shopping trip today. For a change I bought a block of chocolate because it was on special. Can't recall the last time I did that. Mmmmmm ... chocolate.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #78
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

Sorry to hear the boats might have to go. Here's hoping things work out a bit differently
Old 09-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #79
Admiral

Well, with the amount of work required at least one of them would have had to go anyhow. I'm just a bit too old and tired to stay enthusiastic for the moment. Hoping it's a passing phase but every time I think things couldn't get worse, life surprises me.

Having two yachts, a house and an airplane to restore at 61yo should be a fun challenge, but I'd be doing much better if I were still 35 and had the energy to keep going for more than a few hours a day.

I have a bit of soul searching to do now. The yachts have served their purpose, which was to allow me to survive a couple of years while my income was really low. Unfortunately, barring a windfall, I'll never have the cash to complete the repairs and sail either of them. They're daily looking more like a millstone.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:29 AM   #80

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

yikes on the millstone. Gotta get one of them out and sailing to enjoy the experience, soon.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote