Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
Admiral

I am tall, with very long arms (as my sister says, "we're not long out of the trees"), but those top-loading refrigerators are a challenge to everyone, and almost impossible for the height-challenged.

Years ago I created a system of boxes to make loading and retrieving food from the refrigerator easy and organized. It took three tries until I was satisfied with the system, and attached is my description of it, with pictures. It's a .pdf document readable with Adobe Reader. I haven't posted it before now because I had expected that I would have completed the revisions and additions to my Cruiser's Dictionary by now, but that hasn't happened! I decided to upload it here where it will be easy to access.

RefrigBoxes.pdf

Comments are, of course, welcomed.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

I like the tray, and handle idea. I have a 2.2 cubic foot house freezer that I use. It already has a basket on top, but breaking the bottom into 2 compartments is a sweet idea, and simple too! Sometimes experience is everything, and thanks..................

Old 12-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

That is a really good idea. Thanks for sharing it Jeanne.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
I am tall, with very long arms (as my sister says, "we're not long out of the trees"), but those top-loading refrigerators are a challenge to everyone, and almost impossible for the height-challenged.

Years ago I created a system of boxes to make loading and retrieving food from the refrigerator easy and organized. It took three tries until I was satisfied with the system, and attached is my description of it, with pictures. It's a .pdf document readable with Adobe Reader. I haven't posted it before now because I had expected that I would have completed the revisions and additions to my Cruiser's Dictionary by now, but that hasn't happened! I decided to upload it here where it will be easy to access.

Attachment 306

Comments are, of course, welcomed.
Hi Jeanne

Thanks for your welcome. Where are you now ? I followed your links but mostly it seemed to be a long time ago so you plainly have been enjoying the cruising life for ages - lucky thing.

Loved the idea of your fridge boxes. Sadly our fridge is shaped to the hull so I am not sure how I could emulate the idea - certainly the separation sounds excellent and I have heard of others using boxes inside the fridge. Lateral-thinking cap on !

Penny
Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

neet idea with the cutting board material... I always just used old grocery store shopping baskets, which don't stack very well and end up squishing anything squishable.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post
Where are you now ?
We are still liveaboards, still cruising, but generally limited now to the east coast of the US and forays into the Bahamas and time spent in the family homestead in New Jersey for holidays. We had a not-so-great summer this year, so we've not gone as far as usual, but we hope to get back to exploring new places after the holidays.

Yeah, we've been at it a long time. We tried the land thing after selling sv Watermelon in Singapore in 2003, but that was a non-starter. We bought our present mv Watermelon instead. I haven't been particularly good at keeping our blog up to date. Just not as ambitious anymore. I keep promising myself that I'll do better "next time". Perhaps.

J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Ensign

We took out the shelves an we're using drybags in our fridge. They work very well for us. We like that we know what color the "eggs" bag is and the "veg bag" are and can easily pull bags from underneath other bags without causing a mess. Also, if something goes bad or leaks, it is contained in the dry bag.

s/v Estrellita 5.10b, Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Our Cruising Blog

The Interview With A Cruiser Project
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote