Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

The boat I just got has white plastic flooring... it gives the whole enterior a very plastic feel and I'd like to put down carpet. getting some cheap carpet and cutting it to fit is easy enough but what about finishing the edges?? Having the edges professionally finished would be prohibitively expensive I would imagine... but I don't care for the tattered edge look of just cut and laid as is either... Burning comes to mind if the carpet is synthetic or maybe some type of clip on edging, if there is such a thing... or maybe tape of some sort....

any clever ideas out there for finishing the edges?

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Admiral

Have used epoxy successfully -- 3/4" edge treated.

Otherwise consider carpet tiles - which can be scrubbed. This Website

Old 03-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Admiral

what techniques did you use with the eopxy to get clean edges?

...and carpet tiles definitely look like they have potential.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
Old 03-29-2009, 01:19 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Are the edges in places where you can use a metal edge like a door strip?

In this pic of our other boat you can see an aluminum strip along the carpet at the edge of the dinette area. Also, even the gold colored edge trim around the seating is actually carpet edging. We put it there because the previous owners of the boat had used wallpaper on the walls and the edges were crappy.

link to larger pic: here

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:41 AM   #5
Admiral

Wall paper on a boat???

Who'd a thunk it... I wouldn' think it would fair very well with all the moisture...

Old 03-29-2009, 03:16 AM   #6
Admiral

Step 1: Clamp carpet edge between 2 lengths of angle iron, (flat bar --- whatever) trim off any rough bits.

Step 2: Reclamp the carpet edge with 3/4" (20mm) showing -- apply epoxy -- remove clamps before epoxy goes off.

Carpet tiles are magic - I had them on 2 boats - they come in 3 grades = Industrial, Hotel and Light. I used Hotel in areas where there was maximum traffic and Light in others.

They are easy to clean : scrubbed them in sea water then with fresh water with dish-washing liquid, finally rinsed in fresh and dried outside. Did not shrink - they fit close together, barely see the joint.

Richard
Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Ensign

The way I have always edged carpet was with a 2mm strip of cloth, staples and glue.

with stainless staples you can staple the cloth strips to the edge of the carpet then over lap to cover staples and glue on the bottom side of carpet.

Mario
Old 05-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to gslabbert5119

Take a trip to your local hardware store, (Home Depot or Lowes here in my part of the world) and go to the carpet hardware section. There you will find all kinds of different edging, quite surprising how many different flavors, shapes and lengths. Most of what I have seen there have been plastic or aluminum (aluminium) in a myriad of colors and edging types.

https://BlueWaterCruising.com

https://photographybygavin.com

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
gslabbert5119 is offline   Reply With Quote