Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist
Default Exercise at sea?

Some of the conversation in the gaff rig thread got me to thinking...

When out to sea for extended periods how do you stay in shape, if you stay in shape? Calisthetics and maybe jump rope come to mind off hand. Or if you have a gaff maybe not using a block and tackle and raising and lowering the gaff repeatedly or climbing around in the rigging. Or would that be harmful to the gaff and rigging?

Old 01-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Admiral

oh c'mon... somebody has to have an at sea exercise routine.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

G'day, such impatience does not compliment your 'atavist' nickname. As this is a cruising forum, it is safe to assume that many regular contributors are at sea or live on their vessels and are not, as such, able to be perpetually online.

I am sure many will answer your post. Meanwhile I think a trawl of Cruising World magazine and one correspondent who names himself Capt. Fatty Goodlander, may give you some satisfaction whilst our more fitness minded seafarers make port, or visit their local internet cafe.

Best wishes.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:38 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Atavist,

As I am to understand it, one of the best aerobic activities is swimming. I don't think that should be a problem on a boat!!

As long as you are travelling with a significant other...well, we all know what the second best activity is!

Other than that, pick a destination and go for a brisk walk in the sand or thru town! My wife and I walk anywhere between 2 and 5 miles a day just checking out the local scene.

Other than that, consider the 12ounce single handed curls!! I LOVE THOSE!!

Maybe you can kick the diesel out and replace with peddle power!![xx(]

Bajamas
Old 01-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
Admiral

Thanks for the tips Bajamas...but actually it's those 12 ounce curls that I'm trying to counter...

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
Ensign

Atavist

Next time you are in a decent sized port, walk on down to the local Physical Therapist (Physiotherapist in the UK) and pick up some Theraband. These elastic bands of different colors with graded resistance allow you to replicate any and all exercises of the gyms of the world. I ran my therapy clinic on this product and found it to be easy to use by all ages and physical capabilities. Attach it to a firm cleat or just pull it between your hands. Loop it aroumd your feet and to your leg exercises. As an added bonus, hold your gut in as you do the Theraband exercise for core control exercises.

If they charge you more than $.75 a foot, they are greedy.

Ken
Old 04-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
Admiral

Thanks for the advice Ken. That's a much better idea than bringing a bunch of dumbells aboard....

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I just moved to DC (one step closer to the sea) and have been a bit disconnected.... it's good to be back, you guys keep my dreams afloat.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

This looks interesting. Anyone have one?

http://www.smartvest.net/index.asp

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #9
Lieutenant

I find this topic very important as I tend to excercise 4 times a week and at the end of the month I going on a month long sailing trip! I remember reading an article by Yachting monthly or Sailing world a few years ago regarding the matter! I'll go through my pile of magazines!

I would love to hear some more tips!

so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and

impatient when least effective."

-Henry David Thoreau
Yachtmaster81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:03 PM   #10
Ensign

My feeling is that the easest way to keep in shape is just to do more of the automated systems by hand. My yacht has no roller furling, no electric winches and nothing on the anchor. So everything is done via muslce power with a pulley system set up for the much too heavy jobs. Keeps the power needs of your yacht down too!

I've lost a fair amount of spare tyre since I bought my floating lady...

Speaking of ladies, as Bajamas said:

Quote:
As long as you are travelling with a significant other...well, we all know what the second best activity is!
Amen to that!
Old 05-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
This looks interesting. Anyone have one?

http://www.smartvest.net/index.asp
While mine is a different brand I do have one of those... adding 20lbs to your body weight makes a huge difference when doing calisthenics... though already having bad knees I would never run with one.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:35 AM   #12
Ensign

Although I have not tried this while cruising since I have not been on any long passages I have a road bike that is very lightweight and a stationary trainer that I plan on bringing along on long passages for exercise. Has anyone tried this?

trainer

Jackie
Old 05-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
Rear Admiral

Hi JackieP,

It looks like the option has some merit. It seems that would work in calm seas, but would have problems as the wave action increases, unless one securely fastened it to the deck, or other parts of the vessel.

Discussing bikes in the past, some mentioned the space requirement of taking a bike can be an issue. Some prefer folding bikes. It was also pointed out that if the bike parts could rust or corrode, they would very rapidly in the salt air and sea water environment. You may want to consider the materials a bike is made of, or plan on dealing with rust and corrosion prevention.

The bike debate ashore, at various destinations, pointed out the fact that most often there is not a suitable path to drive on, either sand or rocks. Further, in some places bikes are required to be licensed, and subject to fines if not.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from packing a bike, rather just pointing out the practical side.

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
Admiral

Hi Jackie,

What is the configuration of a stationary trainer. Is it similar to an exercise bike?

David.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:53 PM   #15
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Hi Jackie,

What is the configuration of a stationary trainer. Is it similar to an exercise bike?

David.
David,

Yes. It is a device that adapts a regular bike to staionary use. From the photos, it appears that is has the capability of providing a varible resistance.

Click on the underlined word "trainer" above Jackie's signature block. It is a hot link to:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/prod...=0&CI=1,229

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:45 AM   #16
Ensign

Hi Jeff,

You have some very good points regarding calm seas and space requirements and there is no doubt that those thin tires will not work in most remote ares. I also imagine that rust will be a problem on all except the very expensive road bikes. Unfortunately, I do not think that the trainer can be used on bikes other than road bikes but I am not sure of that.

I have seen quite a few of the foldable bikes but to be honest the ones I have seen look uncomfortable and difficult to ride but I have not looked at what is available in foldables (only West Marine) and perhaps there are some models available that would be more well adult size?

Jackie
Old 05-23-2007, 03:38 AM   #17
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiep View Post
I have seen quite a few of the foldable bikes but to be honest the ones I have seen look uncomfortable and difficult to ride but I have not looked at what is available in foldables (only West Marine) and perhaps there are some models available that would be more well adult size?

Jackie
Greetings, a quick surf produced plenty of "Bikes to Go"

A selection of bikes that were light, rustless, foldable or separable included

this bunch :-

Alex Moulton's

http://www.alexmoulton.co.uk/frames.asp?id...es&range=ns

---------------------------------

S @ S Machines

http://www.sandsmachine.com/

------------------------------------

Dahon's

http://www.dahon.com/intl/speedprott.htm

-----------------------------------------

Giatex's

http://ridethisbike.com/products/Giatex-BI...olding_bike.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A wander down any marina visited by cruising yachts will reveal the fact that

the development of a bike suitable for cruising has meant that these are now a common accessory .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an aside , the mere process of active cruising is itself an energetic pass-time/vocation ; up and down the companion way 20 times a day cannot be unhealthy . Whilst maintaining balance on a passage in moderate seas requires continuous muscle use.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:41 AM   #18
Rear Admiral

IMHO unless you own a Megayacht (and therefore could carry a personal trainer to help you out), a full sized bike is not practical on most boats. Simply too big. So not sure the bike to exercise machine add on is suitable either.

Lots of small wheeled folding jobbies around - various grades and prices to match. We've got 'Bike in a Bag' made I guess in China and at lower end of cost range, but very little rust after 3 years.

We swim as often as possible - for me this is best exercise around. Also like to do longer walks - and even of shorted ones it is possible to push yourself. Running of course only takes up space for a pair of trainers on board.

We find upper body exercise comes naturally with boat handling.

Sit ups and press ups worth doing daily.

We also have a loop of think bungy cord to pull apart in various ways.

All combined this seems to keep us (relatively) fit for a couple of wrinklies.

Good luck

JOHN
Old 05-23-2007, 04:32 AM   #19
Admiral

I agree with Swagman. Any yacht which can comfortably cater for an athlete on a stationary bike is going to be big! I have an aircraft grade aluminium foldable which is fine. Made in China, and about AU$350, it is quick to fold/unfold, has 5 gears, a good sized luggage rack, 20" wheels and I have no trouble riding it despite being 183cm tall and 100kg.

Most yachts carry very effective rowing machines on the foredeck or in davits. Obviously these can only be used when the yacht is at anchor or tied up in a caravan park, but a quick row can set the old heart a-pumpin'.

David

Old 05-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #20
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to sailman

I have found that after a few years of land food that my body go's into self destruct. After a month at sea your body naturally adjusts to the sea motion and you self exersise without knowing it. I can lose 25 lbs and lose my love handles in three or four weeks of sailing.