Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #41
Ensign

Home Port: Ipswich

Hey Mate,

I was curious about her name. Do you think she has any former ties with Keppel Island?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #42
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_one View Post
Hi Rob,

I joined cruiser blog so I keep abreast of your triumphs and tribulations. All I see so far are triumphs!! Have you had time to take pics of eutechtic fridge & deisel engine? How about the Evinrude? just curious.... Trev
Hey bro, nice surprise! See you got the internet back, cool.

I sent you photos of the eutectic fridge via gmail, check your mail. Not the diesel, she's a gonner. Too many bits have been ratted by too many ignorant previous owners I'm afraid.

Evinrude is a 9.9hp model so I'm unsure if it will even be usable except in glassy conditions with no tidal action.

Rob

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #43
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_one View Post
Hey Mate,

I was curious about her name. Do you think she has any former ties with Keppel Island?
This occurred to me as well. As far as I can ascertain she's always been in Sydney, but full history is missing. Might even have been built up there, who knows.

Rob

Old 12-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #44
Admiral

After: V-berth hatch ready to be refitted.
Attached Thumbnails
hatch-after.jpg  

Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #45
Admiral

Hey Trev, I wish I'd taken that s/h battery hammer drill now. Bloody 240V unit won't run on the inverter so I can't drill holes to mount the outboard. :-(

Old 12-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #46
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

So out with the bucket...
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #47
Admiral

Bit hard to row a 10 ton ferro ... with a bucket! (What on earth did he mean?)

Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #48
GOF

LOL....That was meant to post after you mentioned you had your loo working...Murphy's law it sat in my putor until I reopened this thread,,,,Sorry about that.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #49
GOF

And only ten ton ?... Would of thought she had a tad more weight than that
Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #50
Admiral

Did a water run at 6am today, so that I didn't have to drag the dinghy up and chain it. Another 40 litres means she's full (100L total in the tank) and I can relax for a while.

Yesterday's mail brought all sorts of good stuff, including much needed vaping (electronic cigarette) supplies and Swedish Snus to keep me off the smokes. There were also some tools I ordered, and the 26mm hole saw has already been put to good use. Below is a photo of the new cigarette socket fitted to the V-berth next to the old 32V caravan style point. I can now charge stuff there or use 240V via the little 150W inverter on the shelf. No more extension leads from the 1000W inverter!

It was fitted where previously a wall switch that controlled a dome light lived ... you can see the shadow on the wall above where that has been removed. I ordered a replacement with an inbuilt switch. I've done the same in the galley where yet another dead dome light is being replaced, and a third socket will go in the head for shavers and so on.

Gawd, all this and it's only 9am. I think I need a coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
cig_socket.jpg  

Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #51
Admiral

The lack of intellect of the previous owner still surprises me. He either took the mast down or climbed to paint it and fit new LED mast and spreader lights. What he omitted was the ropes to haul sails up. D'oh! Now, guess which side that RED spreader light is fitted on, and win yourself a cupie doll. That's right, it's on the starboard.

Looks like I'll have to do some frigging in the rigging. Anyone know how to climb a mast without footholds?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #52
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Have you got no halyards at all from the top of the mast. You should have at least three, one for the headsail, one for the main and a topping lift. If you have just one, you need a working winch, a mate, a bosun's chair and a six pack. Make sure the halyards are in good nick before trusting them with your weight.

If you dont have any halyards, it gets tougher. Best bet is to drop the mast, check all the sheaves, change the lights, check the standing rigging and install all new halyards. Make sure all the masty bits are okay, then stand the mast back up and make it secure.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #53
Admiral

Last two dead fluoros. Trying to make one working unit from the pair:
Attached Thumbnails
fluoros.jpg  

Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #54
Admiral

Auzzee, I have one rope halyard that connects to a coil of wire on the cabin roof. It appears to be affixed to the top of the mast solidly. No winch, no mate, no way I'm drinking when I attempt this. If a bosun's chair looks like a wooden kids' swing then I have one of those too.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #55
Admiral

Hi Q,

The six pack is for payment of the deckie after the fact. I think the halyard you have, has slipped up the mast. I guess the rope end has a knot in it, and that is hard up against the sheave at the top of the mast. It needs to be retrieved. It's looking more and more like the easiest option is to drop the mast. If it is deck stepped that job can be done with a couple of extra hands (easier if the boat is tied to a dock), If it is keel stepped, then there is a bigger problem, in that you will need an independent derrick/crane.

OR....find a willing mast climber to shinny up the stick and feed the halyards back through the sheaves and down to the deck.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #56
Admiral

It's deck stepped thankfully, but I don't fancy lowering it. Simplest answer is to hire a climbing monkey to retrieve the existing halyard. Or fit the outboard and find a convenient low bridge.

Oh, I do have winches on the sides of the mast ... one is a standard winch and the other works like a jack. I think these should do.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #57
Admiral

The wire to cordage halyard is in all liklihood,very old. I suggest using it to draw a new all cord halyard through. It might be a good idea to service the winches before trusting them too much. A sticky pawl could have dangerous consequences.

I've attached a Yachting Monthly, Step-by-step guide to winch servicing here http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileB...h_ym_04_06.pdf

Most winches are similar in detail. Some use circlips rather than screw-ons at the cap. Be extra careful when sliding out the pawls. The tiny little spring behind each is vital, yet it is very fine and unless handled carefully will spring out, over the side and into the great pawl spring receptacle we call the ocean. I once lost a spring and a needle roller bearing in one disasterous sitting.

Do you have a hollow spar, or is the mast solid timber? Just wondering if the halyards are led up inside the mast or are they external. It makes a difference in the ease with which you can locate and snag the tail of the halyard when the 'monkey' retrieves it.

Cheers.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #58
Admiral

Yes, all new halyards are on the agenda. The mast is solid, everything's external thankfully.

Thanks for the file.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #59
Admiral

Still working my butt off here, although most improvements aren't apparent to the naked eye. The two dome lights arrived and were fitted, the radio licences and registration papers have been mounted in frames and the hall ceiling has been painted, these items are obvious. What's less obvious are the myriad items done inside cupboards and the minor incremental changes.

Cable tied all the 12V wiring leading to the batteries. Added a junction box to cover a join in the 240V wiring. Cleaned and painted one wall section in the galley. Bypassed an open-circuit negative wire to get an existing dome light working and fitted LED bulbs to it. Ripped out many cable clips that no longer held cables. Added a neutral link in the aft cupboard and wired it direct to battery negative to avoid a long redundant loop through the switchboard. Filled unused switch holes in head and painted over the filler. Bought and fitted a hook-and-eye to the v-berth hatch. Lots of little things.

The 60 grit paper I've been using on the cabin roof wasn't cutting it, so to speak, so I bought 40 grit yesterday. Much better. Also sizing and searching for various pieces of timber to replace weathered and broken bits.

It's a chore, but I'm having a ball. I think I'm happiest about finally having a light in the head.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #60
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsquizzy View Post
And only ten ton ?... Would of thought she had a tad more weight than that
Naah, that's about right. This 38' South Seas is stated to be 12 ton, mine's only 35'.

http://http://www.afloat.com.au/aflo...h#.UMFDDayANYs