Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #61
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

For a change I cooked a proper meal tonight instead of making sandwiches or opening a tin of soup. The recipe comes from Bruce, an old flatmate.

Fry one chopped brown onion in oil until clarified, then add a mug of cold water. Throw in a packet of instant rice - sate, chicken or oriental work best - and crush one pack of instant noodles in as well. You can throw away the flavour sachet, it isn't needed. Add a small tin of tuna (drained) and stir on low heat until the water is soaked up. Then add half a tin of coconut milk and half a tin of pineapple pieces and heat for a few minutes more to heat the pineapple and soak the coconut milk into the rice and noodles.

Voila! Takes about 5 minutes, costs $5.00 a serve and it's delicious. Serves two.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #62
Admiral

Cleaned the barnacles and green slime off the rest of the hull from the dinghy yesterday, and might have to do some fishing as I noticed a curious and fair sized bream hanging about.

Started on the paint repairs to the hull after buying 2L of matched paint Thursday but the wind beat me and so I had to quit with only half the transom done. The surface comes off in sheets, a product of not one but two poorly done paint jobs. At base we have a cream colour directly on the concrete, then there's a layer of a sticky substance that hasn't set, no idea what that is but it's water based thankfully and washes off. Then there's Lobelia Blue, a nice colour to my mind but the last owner decided to cover that with light grey. He didn't remove loose paint or sand anywhere, and most places seem to be holding but in some areas it's falling off. So I'm having to peel, scrape, wash then paint. I use bilge water for the washing - I tasted it and it isn't salty, just rain water - to save drinking water.

The 100AH battery hasn't been supplying enough grunt and I suspected it was tired, so last night got on ebay and bought a pair of Century 100AH AGM marine batteries for $280 which is quite a bargain.

Total costs have now gone over $10k for this project, but that includes rego, mooring fees, mooring inspection, a bunch of radios and electrical stuff that I won't use, ham licence, HF marine licence, various tools, two dinghies and all sorts of sundries that wouldn't happen in a normal year. I expect another $5k and 6 months will finish it.

Still a damned cheap boat.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #63
Admiral

Fitted the HF radio after painting the wall near the exit hatch. Looks like it was meant to be there.
Attached Thumbnails
kestrel.jpg  

Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #64
Admiral

Some new photies for ya.

1. Deck rot stripped back and drying.
2. Ugly transom.
3. Handsome transom.
4. Too much white inside so I repainted the centre strip grey throughout the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
deck rot.jpg   transom1.jpg   transom2.jpg   wall.jpg  

Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #65
Admiral

Pulled the sails out of storage tonight to inspect them and figure out what I have exactly. The first to come out looks to be a storm jib, it was only 12' along the root. Made by Lee Sails in HK and marked "KPL" for Keppelena I assume.

The second was a #2 (this was marked on it) and bore the faded inscription of Hood on the brand tag. Number is SM666, probably owned at some stage by a kinky devil worshipper knowing my luck.

Tonight I invented a new recipe on the spot and it came out so well I'll share it.

Boil a handful of rice with the lid on so that it absorbs water rather than boiling it off. Meanwhile chop one brown onion and throw it into a frypan with some oil. Don't heat it yet, I'm assuming a single burner stove here. Once the rice is mostly cooked, drain it and wash to remove the glugginess, then refill with about a cup of water. Fry the onions until clarified then add the rice, some salt and ground pepper to spice it a bit, and a packet of instant beef noodles with the flavour sachet to give it a little of what Escoffier would call "umami". Then add a drained can of corn kernels and cook until almost ready to eat. Finally throw in one drained can of peas and a sachet of Keens curry powder. If you have any sultanas around they would also go well, I didn't have any. Continue to cook while stirring until the peas are heated and curry is disbursed evenly.

There ya go then. Bon appetit!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #66
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Good to see it's coming along well. Appreciate the updates.....but I'm not so sure about the tucker!

Keep 'em coming!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #67
Admiral

Don't knock the nosh until you've tried it!

Forgot to mention, the sails appeared to be in perfect condition apart from some rust coloured staining and wrinkles. Not a stitch missing anywhere and all hanks present and accounted for.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #68
Admiral

Thanks timmaykiem, but I already have a forklift licence.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #69
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

Hi Haiqu,

Do you still need a monkey for your mast jobs? I may be able to help. I'm an Industrial Rope Access operator and qualified rigger. Check out Industrial Rope Access Trade Association for more details on our industry. I can bring my gear and take care of your mast issues quite quickly. If you don't have any available halyards, don't worry. I wouldn't rely solely on just an old halyard anyway. I've been following your project and will be happy to do it at no cost. You may need a little patience though as I am going away tomorrow on holidays for 10 days. So it would have to be just before christmas if you can wait that long.

Let me know if you need a hand.

Pete.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #70
Admiral

Mate, you just became my new best friend!

I have 20 metres of brand new double knit 14mm rope here if that's adequate. But I'm sure you'll be able to advise on what's required anyhow, even if you have to come out for a look first. Even just putting up some cheap string to haul ropes through later would be one option.

Let me know when, I'm definitely interested. You can SMS me on 0452 464 774 any time.

Auzzee, did you see what just happened there? Must be Christmas.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #71
Ensign

Saturday the 22nd or monday the 24th is the best for me at this stage. I travel back to work on the 25th so if we miss those dates due to Christmas commitments or whatever it won't be until the new year. I'm back for 2 weeks from the 10th of Jan. Let me know if Jan is better for you. It may give you more time to work out which lines you need to run. I've sent you a message so you now have my number as well.

As a bonus I'm only a few suburbs away from you in Chiswick so Woolwich is pretty easy.

Due to time constraints before Jan, If you want to do it before christmas I probably won't just be coming for a look. I'll have my stuff ready to go if you can have yours organised. All I need is a rough diameter of your mast at the base and top to work out what slings would be best.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #72
Admiral

That's because it's Orstraya, mate!
Good onya Pete, it's blokes like you who help make the world a better place.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #73
Admiral

Pete, Monday 24th would have less water traffic - and therefore wake disturbance - so it seems best, especially since most people will be doing Xmas stuff.

Trouble is I've never rigged a yacht before and don't really know what I need. As far as I can tell (and as Auzzee pointed out) the main halyard (or maybe jib halyard?) has slipped up the mast, with the wire end coiled on top of the cabin roof and rope end going up the front of the mast, probably to a knot at the top. There's also a wire to a rotary winch that goes up the port side of the mast, unsure if that's for the main or jib but it won't shift either. There's no third halyard present and there's an empty jack-type winch on the starboard side.

We also have two 3mm wires originating from the mast halfway between the top and the spreader that go out to the ends of the spreader then wind their way down the side stays and dangle into space, I have no idea where they're supposed to attach.

The base of the mast is 7" x 5" (18cm x 13cm) and narrows above the spreader to about half that size. My guess at the height would be about 40ft (12m). Hope this all helps.

Didn't see any PM from you.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #74
Ensign

We'll work it out on the day mate. 24th is good for me. I sms'd you at 21.20 last night so you should have my mobile number now. I'll be in touch for more details after the 20th.

Have you got / need to install, a Windex, lighting, antenna's or anything while I'm up there? might be worth thinking about.

Cheers.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:25 AM   #75
Admiral

I think the wires from the mast to the spreaders are the remnants of running stays. One thing is for sure, you'll know the boat backwards and inside out when you get her fully prepped and sailing.

All that and you're having fun as well!

Best wishes..

Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #76
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_winning View Post
We'll work it out on the day mate. 24th is good for me. I sms'd you at 21.20 last night so you should have my mobile number now. I'll be in touch for more details after the 20th.

Have you got / need to install, a Windex, lighting, antenna's or anything while I'm up there? might be worth thinking about.

Cheers.
Got your SMS, thanks.

I'd already been considering a UHF ham antenna and a windex is also a great idea. The VHF antenna doesn't need to be mounted so high. Really depends what I can get my hands on within 12 days, I usually shop Asia via ebay and they take longer to deliver.

I'll get you to remove the spreader light, it's both the wrong colour for the side it's on and non-standard. There's a small bit of exposed timber near it where the old light was removed but painting that would probably be too much trouble.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #77
Admiral

And do let me know if I need some more rope, it would be a bit embarrassing to get you over here and not have what's needed. The 20 metres I have was probably bought for jib sheets, it isn't long enough for anything else.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #78
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
That's because it's Orstraya, mate!
Out bogging the cabin roof this afternoon and a 40' cabin cruiser with about 25 drunks aboard chunders past.

"Show us your dick!" yells one particularly inebriated blonde.

Now that's Orstraya mate.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #79
Admiral

Bought some timber the other day to replace the side bash rails aft which were rotted out. Due to measuring error I bought the wrong stuff so instead made a start on the rear seating area (totally missing) which needed a couple of 8ft lengths of 35mm x 70mm hardwood as a base anyhow.

I'm still considering how to repair the port side of the open cabin section (photo posted earlier in post #13) which really needs to be pulled out totally. The timber yard tell me they can do routing so I may get them to make it rather than messing with a coping saw. I'm pretty sure I could cut the window frame but it will look prettier if they do it. Shudder to think of the cost of 25mm marine ply but it has to be done.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #80
Admiral

An ordinary day of bogging, sanding and cutting hardwood. Got bored with TV tonight after 20 minutes and went looking for something to fix. I found the navigation lights didn't work and traced that to a broken fuse holder. We now have a green one, I suspect the port lamp has blown. Will check the sizes and order LEDs for them tomorrow.

The new batteries are heaps better but I still need more charging capacity, tend to be spending all my nights in semi-darkness to conserve energy. Thankfully Del has offered me his 100W wind generator when he replaces it later in the summer. Could have used that today, it has been blowing a gale again.