Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #121
Ensign

Home Port: s

SOO sorry a mooring is permanent to be at anchor is not.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #122
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Working on the windows for the past few days. Here's a before and after shot:
Attached Thumbnails
window.jpg   eyes.jpg  

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #123
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post

Be that as it may, I eat potato scallops. The term describes a shape rather than an animal as in: Scalloped Potatoes Recipe - Taste.com.au
But, a 'cake' is not something which can be attributed to potatos cut into scallops.

But...'flake' remains one of the best things about Melbourne fish and chip shops.....
The term doesn't describe the shape of "potato scallops" at all, which aren't actually scalloped but thinly sliced. In culinary sense, the term originally referred to a seafood dish baked and served in a scallop shell, but now used more generally.

And I believe Willy the Shake wrote "That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet." I suppose you're going to spit the dummy and leave now too.

BTW I agree, flake is awesome.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #124
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Nah...I'm tough!

So, scalloped edges on a photo or a scalloped hem on a dress, like scalloped spuds, are not a distinctive shape, but full of fish. Fair enough.
And as to Bill, he actually wrote it as I said (True dinks!)...but his subby was a dick and wanted to ponce the quote up a bit. Hence the words you produced.

Your windows look good. I assume you are spending a fortune on Everdure. It's a timber restorer's magic wand!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #125
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Nah...I'm tough!

So, scalloped edges on a photo or a scalloped hem on a dress, like scalloped spuds, are not a distinctive shape, but full of fish. Fair enough.
I've never seen scalloped edges on a potato scallop, you must frequent some pretty fancy fish 'n chip shops. My guess is that the term as used in Australia came about through the similarity in shape, i.e. they both resemble a deep-fried hockey puck when cooked.

In defence of the term "potato cake", there are more types of cake than mere confections. One only need consider fish cakes, or cakes of soap.

Quote:
And as to Bill, he actually wrote it as I said (True dinks!)...but his subby was a dick and wanted to ponce the quote up a bit. Hence the words you produced.
Yeah, wouldn't put that past a sub-editor at all.

Quote:
Your windows look good. I assume you are spending a fortune on Everdure. It's a timber restorer's magic wand!
Actually no, I've evolved a technique of inserting a new piece of 9mm ply into the gaping wound and then bogging up the remaining small gap. Seems to be a more robust and permanent repair method, judging from the softness of the central cabin roof which is now cracking underneath. I may have to replace a whole sheet there unfortunately, what a waste of bog and Everdure.

As a last attempt I'm going to try a layer of fibreglass first to see if I can firm it up. Sadly, Everdure wasn't the magic bullet I had hoped for in that instance. I'll use the remaining 1.5 litres to repaint the internal timberwork.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #126
Admiral

Landed four bream off four consecutive casts this morning. The Lane Cove River is teeming with them. All undersized unfortunately, so they live to swim another day.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #127
Admiral

Tonight - one cast, one fish. This 28cm Black Bream became dinner.
Attached Thumbnails
dinner.jpg  

Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 AM   #128
Admiral

Put in a low-ball offer on a brand new VHF radio with DSC the other day, and was surprised to find out today that I won it.

Oregon Scientific TM338, as sold at Whitworths a couple of years ago for $250 each. Won it for $66 shipped. Mike cable sheath has split otherwise it's NIB, unused.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 AM   #129
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

HI Mate,

I've just tried to call but your phone is off. Give me a call. You have my number.

Pete.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #130
Admiral

Thanks Pete, good to hear from you. Seeya tomorrow!

Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #131
Admiral

What a busy day. Picked up my VHF radio from the post office, and when I got back Pete was ready to go aboard for the mast work. He's a man of few words and gets right down to business, and soon he's atop the mast and fixing stuff like crazy.

Retrieved the jib halyard, moved the spreader light to the front where, after a change of globe to white, it became a steaming light. A new pulley up top to replace a broken one, a new pulley halfway up on an unused bracket for a flag halyard, took some photos and he was down again. Thanks very much Pete, from the bottom of my heart. I now have a yacht that can actually be sailed, or will have once I pull some new lines through with that brickie's line you strung up.

The VHF radio works great, just listening to the local rescue calls on channel 16.
Attached Thumbnails
Image000.jpg   Image001.jpg   Image002.jpg  

Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #132
Admiral

Just checked Facebook to see if Pete had an entry, found this instead. Well I laughed!

Old 01-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #133
Ensign

No worries at all. I'm glad I could help. You're project is coming along well and she'll be a great yacht once you finish fixing her up. The best part is you really seem to be enjoying the whole process. What an exciting time for you. It inspires me to take on a simmilar project of my own one day. Well done and keep at it.

Let me know if you need me to take a run up your mast again. Now that I've checked out what's happening up the top, I'd be happy to use one of your halyards which will make it quicker and easier for me but a bit more work for you on the ground.

Enjoy,

Pete.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #134
Ensign

Hahaha... I haven't seen that before. I guess I should google myself more often. Just for the record, I have no affiliation with that show. Either in the form of creative rights or royalties. : ) I probably have a claim though seeing as though i was made in 1980 and that seems more recent.

Thanks for the laugh.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #135
Admiral

Next trip to the top of the mast, you need to replace the windvane. I echo Pete's sentiments. It's good to hear from someone who is positively enjoying the whole refurb process.
Cheers..

Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #136
Admiral

Pete, I've been thinking about you theory that the small broken pulley was used for the boom and I still can't see it. That thing is too lightweight for any serious application. Here's how I think it's actually set up:

1. The boom halyard currently attached is dual-purpose. The boom is lowered onto the cabin top to attach the sail and then raised with the port winch and is tied off to the large cleat above the winch.
2. The jib halyard - the one that needed to be retrieved - runs down the starboard side of the mast, through the lower roller, onto the ratchet winch for tightening that last bit, then gets tied off on the large cleat above that winch.
3. The small roller at the top rear that was replaced is for the flag halyard. This makes sense because it's at the rear of the mast and has a corresponding small cleat at the bottom.
4. The front bracket that got the new roller is still a mystery to me, but there's a use it could be put to that would make life really easy. I'm thinking of fitting a short furler to there and running the storm jib on it permanently. That would get rid of one sail from the storage locker, and also would allow an easily deployed sail for short runs, manoevering etc. It would also be w-a-y more convenient in an actual storm, since I wouldn't have to go forward to set it. Instead, I could just drop the #2 jib on deck, go back to the helm and deploy the furled storm jib from there.

Waddya think?

Rob

p.s. Thanks for the encouragement guys, it really helps. Oh and Auzzee, I thought that thing was to stop birds from perching on the mast. A windvane you say? :-)

Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #137
Admiral

It was probably rendered inoperable in the first place by a wayward booby (a sea bird rather than one half of a set).

Have a look here Windex Wind Indicators Large WX15

These nifty little doodads are very helpful when sailing close to the wind. The arms at the rear being set to show the point, just before which, the whole thing turns messy with banging, slatting and other worrisome events. The trick is merely to keep the trailing edge of the vane from setting in between the two fixed arms.

They are also helpful in judging wind shift.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #138
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

The spare pulley may be for a topping lift to keep the boom raised when the sail is down ....

Lexx
Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #139
Ensign

Rob,

Just to reiterate my sailing experience is limited so I'm completely guessing here but I'm still with Lex on this one. I still think its a topping lift. Imagine you're underway and the wind/swell is up and you decide to put a reef in. You don't want the boom bouncing around and scratching up the cabin top. You need a way to support it while your reefing. I agree that it seems undersized for the job of holding up a bouncing boom but we're probably just over estimating the loadings.

As for setting a storm sail on a furler - I recon it would be more annoying than helpful. Your jib would be running past it every time you tack and giving you extra chafe and with proper planning you can avoid most storms. So more experienced sailors on here can probably tell you how little they actually use their storm jib. The other thing you'd want to check is to see if that bracket is even through bolted. By memory it isn't and that's a place I would expect quite a bit of loading in a storm if you were flying the jib off it. I think it's just designed for hoisting your day shapes but as I said earlier I'm just guessing here.

Input from other real sailors welcome.

Pete.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #140
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx View Post
The spare pulley may be for a topping lift to keep the boom raised when the sail is down ....

Lexx
Yeah, that was Pete's theory too but have a look at the size of it in the photo above. Tiny indeed. At the moment the boom is held up by what I assume is the mainsheet halyard, and I see no reason to change it.

Rob