Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #181
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

When I made the transition from power boats to sailing boats in the early 80's, I was lucky to have a particularly crabby, largely intolerent, but very knowledgable local chandler to give me instruction.

Whenever I went in to buy something he would demand to know what I wanted it for and would then lecture me about 'doing it bloody properly'. At the time I thought he was just a cantankerous old nuisance. But he was seriously never wrong.

For those who sailed through Darwin, he had the chandlery at the DSC. 'Cocky' passed away from cancer a few years back.

As a sailing neophyte, I was often left feeling intimidated and now, I wonder how I put up with it. However, our reason for being a part of CL is to both assist and receive assistance and to encourage those who have the occasional suicide day.

It's great to hear of your progress and I am one of many who look forward to sharing an anchorage with you at some stage.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #182
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Today was a tad damp (see photo #1) so I got into some of the internal work reserved for days when working outside is out of the question. Today's task was to replace the Negative Link From Hell (tm) with something more modern (photo #3). Hopefully this should eliminate the earth leakages I've been expoeriencing.

Sorry about the last photo, it was getting dark at 17:45 when I took it.
Attached Thumbnails
rain.jpg   nlfh.jpg   neutral.jpg  

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #183
Admiral

The Icom M710 HF radio arrived a few days ago, but it didn't come with the all-important DC power cable (p.n. OPC-568) and after pricing them at anything from $63.00 upwards I decided that wasn't going to happen. The plug is a 9-pin square block similar to Molex but with a non-standard 1/4" pitch.

Today I bought a Molex pin remover tool and a pair of 4-pin PC style power connectors complete with pins for $17.00 ... if the original isn't available you make your own. In this case it will be a design improvement since I can get spares anywhere for next to nothing.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #184
Admiral

Auzzee, I agree that "doing it bloody properly" is the standard to aspire to. My manual skills are fairly broad but somewhat rusty, and this is new territory ... especially the parts that have to be waterproof.

The idea of moving the backstay to the roof came from Shenoa, where this has been done already. I'm fully aware of the loads, they wouldn't fit six healthy SS bolts to the transom unless necessary. Not sure how well engineered Shenoa's modification was, will know when I go back to Brissy in a few weeks.

And I too look forward to running into some of the guys on CL, I'm sure it will be beers all round.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #185
Admiral

Been going through the many cupboards and emptying them out, painting, getting rid of junk, sorting what's there and repacking them. Today it was the instrument cupboard, so called because this is where instruments are stored away from prying eyes when the yacht is going to be left for a while.

Below photos:

1. Before wiring was removed completely.
2. Painted and repacked, all wiring in new corrugated conduit (right side). The instruments visible in cradles at top are a Danforth Constellation 4" compass and Fuji Royal RF-120 depth sounder.
3. The parlous state of the red wiring being removed. This stuff was an electrical fire waiting to happen, and was very leaky.
4. The new ladder, cleaned and ready to install.
Attached Thumbnails
prewire.jpg   instcupbd.jpg   oldred.jpg   ladder.jpg  

Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #186
Admiral

Antenna tuners for yachts are essentially crap. Most were designed so long ago that they are outdated, including the highly-touted and fairly expensive AT-130 and AT-140 models. The trouble is they chew up 2A when running due to the relays used to select components, and I can certainly think of better ways to spend my hard-earned solar panel juice.

I've been considering this for a few months and vacillating between various possible solutions. My preferred model was the MFJ-926B but it really isn't suitable for yachts as it stands, so I ordered a combo 4:1& 9:1 balun from the UK in readiness for ordering the tuner. Then the auction came up, and today I collected the resultant swag from the post office:

1. MFJ-204B Antenna Bridge
2. MFJ-247 Antenna Analyzer
3. MFJ-948 Deluxe Versa Tuner II
4. Yaesu YD-844A Desk Mike
5. Daiwa LA-2030 144MHz linear, 30W

And all that for $190.50 shipped.

I've tested all the MFJ stuff tonight and it's in as-new and fully working condition. The MFJ-948 is particularly nice, having outputs for two coax antennas, balanced line, single wire (the one we need) and a dummy load all switchable from the front panel. It managed to easily tune 2182kHz - the international emergency frequency - which is about as low as I'll ever want to go. The best part is that, being entirely passive, it uses NO POWER AT ALL. That's the way to go.

Guess I better advertise that balun on VKHAM.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #187
Admiral

Way back in technological prehistory I had an old Codan 8121 with no antenna tuner. It seemed to work pretty well using just a long whip ariel off the stern.

Simple days.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #188
Admiral

Yeah those things are like a brick, unkillable. My PCM Kestrel 132-12 is of the same ilk, simple with just enough channels to call for help. However, it's not much use if 90% of the power is being reflected back down the wire even if the radio is robust enough not to explode.

Tuners are a good idea, and judging by the SWR I'm reading without it (via the new antenna analyzer) not much signal would have gone out. When I got 6215kHz tuned properly last night I could hear one of the seafarers' nets operating all the way from New Zealand. I would have given them a 5 by 4 rating on a signal check.

Best solution is a simple tuner with multiple pretuned channels, selected automatically when you change channels on the radio. The Kestrel had a companion tuner that worked in this fashion but they're Unobtainium nowadays. Next best in terms of efficiency - but not operator convenience - is the setup I have now, with a manual passive tuner. This has the flexibility to be used for ham as well, which I like. Then comes the MFJ-926B with latching relays and huge memory, very low power but really designed for the home station and not maritime operations.

Also ran, the power guzzling AT-130. If you're a typical yachtie and constantly rely on an engine it won't matter, but I plan to operate off solar almost 100% of the time.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #189
Admiral

Yesterday's efforts:

1. Prepping a nasty wall for lacquer (sorry, a bit fuzzy).
2. Barometer being cleaned of corrosion.
3. The final result.

I'm a bit disappointed actually, the orbital sander left deep scour marks in the timber. Next time I'll use the gas burner exclusively to strip the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
prewall.jpg   barometer.jpg   postwall.jpg  

Old 02-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #190
Admiral

Got the SR161 AIS receiver in today's mail. Here's a shot of OpenCPN with AIS overlays. The green and yellow triangles are ships detected. I'm getting 3nm range with the antenna at 6ft ASL which is great. I plan to run this via a bluetooth dongle into the PC, and GPS data will be integrated when I can find a receiver at a good price.
Attached Thumbnails
AIS.jpg  

Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #191
Admiral

There's a special spray on laquer (comes in an aerosol can) apparently used by the navy, for coating the bright shiny bits. Most chandleries have it and I have used it widely. Out of the sun it lasts for yonks and looks brilliant.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #192
Admiral

The barometer was coated with lacquer and corroded anyhow. I've got plenty of Brasso.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #193
Admiral

The radio stack - HF, Ham and VHF with tuners, all working.
Attached Thumbnails
radios.jpg  

Old 02-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #194
Admiral

About a week ago during a storm there was a simultaneous bright flash and an earth-shattering Kaboom! (I love that little Martian cartoon) and I thought I'd been hit. Shook myself down and checked everything but it was all still working.

Today Andrew and Wendy from Kooka, the next boat over, paddled up in their dinghy and asked if there had been any recent electrical storms. Evidently their whole electrical system is fried, batteries included.

There but for the grace of God ...

Old 02-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #195
Admiral

Yesterday was my 60th birthday. While my friend John Neill - who has the same birthday - celebrated on Saturday night in Melbourne by hiring a whole nightclub and inviting everyone he knew, I was quietly enjoying being alone aboard Keppelena and scanning the ham bands. He had booze aplenty and a stripper, I had my solitude. He enjoys fast women, I prefer slow ones if I have the choice. And by that I don't mean stupid, just relaxed and laid back.

Yesterday I spoke to only one person, a French-Canadian tourist in a canoe who was worried about an impending storm and stopped to ask for advice for the safety of him and his friends. I told him they'd be OK for the next hour, and afterwards wondered if my assessment would be good enough. The storm didn't break for two hours, so they were safe.

Lifestyle choices sometimes come along and send us in a new direction. At 30 I would have revelled in that party, and in fact would have traveled to Melbourne just to be there. After all it was my birthday too, and I was invited. The theme of the party was "30 Again" and yet I've been there once, so it seems silly to repeat the performance as an aging actor on a creaking stage.

My brother sent me some photos he had collected over the years. I'm not that guy any more, but people remember you as you were. So, here's me at 2yo and again more recently (Sept 2012, Qld). Neither is an accurate depiction of who I am today. Boats change you.
Attached Thumbnails
Rob.jpg   RobSept12.jpg  

Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 AM   #196
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Happy belated birthday for yesterday Rob ... you are only just over a year behind me, and yes I can understand how you spent yours having done similar myself.

Have a great week playing with your yacht ...

Lexx
Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #197
Admiral

Thanks Lex, much appreciated.

Tonight I decided to test out the Icom M710 rig. It can be set for 20W, 60W or 150W and I selected 60W since I'm so close to land. Jumped on a regular 40 metre net called 7130 DX net and waited my turn, then receive signal reports of 5 by 9 from such diverse locations as the Adelaide Hills, SA and Kingaroy, Qld.

I'm satisfied with that.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #198
Admiral

Awesome night on the ham bands. Listened in as a couple of Aussies contacted the USA, Korea, China, Denmark, Mozambique (!), France, South Africa and a few other call signs I didn't recognise. All on the 40m band with about 400W.

Feature contact of the night was a novice with a 10W transmitter making it to Canada.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #199
Admiral

Pete, I noticed that you're heading off with Lex at the end of March, congratulations. Guess I'll have to start making plans to get the mast work sorted out.

I have here two 75ft coax cables, two VHF antennas and electrical mount hardware, and one replacement Ronstan pulley that all need to go up the stick some time before you leave. I'm looking for better retainer clips for the cable, the ones used previously have mild steel nails which means they'll doubtless fall off at some unspecified time in the future. And I still don't have a windex to fit.

Will give you a hoy when it all comes together here.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #200
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

Sounds good mate. I'm in Sydney until late march and have plenty of weekdays free. Just let me know when you're ready and I'll pop down for the day. Happy birthday for the other week too.

Pete.