Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #221
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

Good to see you're staying busy mate.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #222
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Yep, there's still plenty to do here.

Just picked up two Cummins 4-cyl 20hp diesels off eBay for $812 the pair, and at least one matching gearbox. Brand spanking new. Count 'em, not one but two.

If Shenoa's renovation doesn't preclude reinstalling an engine, and if she still has a fuel tank, then she may get one of them. Otherwise I'll fit the 10hp outboard and keep one diesel as a spare for Keppelena.

Yeah OK, I've gone over to the dark side and now have bloody engines to take care of. At least I didn't fit another 50hp fuel guzzling monster, and this is a far better size than the recommended minimalist 1hp per ton.

And let's face it, the price was right. You can't buy an alternator - or an exhaust elbow, hi hi Delatbabel - for some engines for this money.
Attached Thumbnails
Cummins1.jpg   Cummins2.jpg  

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #223
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The correct engine size.
ING...BULLCRAP WARNING...BULLCRAP WARNING...BULLCRAP WARNING...BULLCRAP WARNING
For each foot of boat length (not including overhanging spars, duckboards and the 10% increment which always magically turns a 36' boat into a 40'er) you need to calculate .89416hp where the engine is new and 1.0100423hp where the engine is more than 18 years old. Or, for each ton of displacement .97634hp where the boat has a fin keel, rising on a curve to 1.101569hp where the keel moves from fin upward to full. Factor in an extra .002697hp TO .03201HP on a similar curve between spade rudder, to keel hung appendage. For each 10cwt of personal crap and the necessities such as water and fuel, add a further .02309hp.

Multiply the result by pi, then divide by 2.76 and guaranteed, you will have the correct engine size to match your particular sailing bote.

Bugger it. I just applied the maths to my boat and discovered I should have a 41hp rather than the 30hp which currently inhabits the engine cubby house.

I feel quite upset now..........

There should never be any argument. It's not that difficult.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #224
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

Aha, and the answer was, I need a bigger paddle........bugger
Old 03-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #225
Admiral

I just did the calculation for Keppelena and it worked out at exactly 20hp. Jaysus and bugger me, it must be St. Patrick's Day.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #226
Admiral

Been a busy few days, mostly due to the perfect weather but also contemplation of leaving for Brisbane is giving me added energy. So far today I've cut some panels to secure the entrance - Keppelena had no door! - and repainted the transom where the dinghy bashed a few patches off. While I was out there I also painted the strip above the waterline all round to cover the discoloured paint where the waterline changes from salt to fresh water. And finally, I caught another fish!

1. Trial fit of the patch panel in the head.
2. One cast, one fish. A 33cm (13") bream.
3. Today's lunch.
Attached Thumbnails
ceiling.jpg   fish2.jpg   dinner2.jpg  

Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #227
Ensign

Hi Rob,

My mate finished the bracket today. He should be dropping it off tomorrow or Thursday. When do you want me to throw it up for you?

Pete.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #228
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Are you getting excited yet Pete ???

We are still hard at work getting a list of jobs done and will be ready to sail on time no worries ...

Hey Rob I love reading about your accomplishments, its good to see someones thought processes ...

Lexx
Old 03-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #229
Admiral

Hi Pete, Send me an SMS when you're ready to go, I have the bolt and nyloc nuts here, and the right cable clips too.

Lex, Thanks mate. As usual all encouragement is appreciated.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #230
Admiral

Now that attention is off sealing leaks I'm looking for other tasks to complete. Bought a second gallon tin of paint the other day and yesterday painted the sides of the cabin. I now have a reasonable 100ft boat (i.e. looks pretty good from 100 feet away).

There are old repairs at the deck join that will need attention, filling rotting timber with bog - as someone did many years ago - isn't a great way to secure the cabin to the concrete.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #231
Admiral

Several days of one step forward, two steps back.

Thursday I applied some two-part body filler, only to find that by Friday morning it still hadn't set. Scraped it out, muttering to myself at my stupidity for having forgotten the catalyst (I assumed) and reworked it. Same again the next time, and I was sure to mix it properly. Body filler that only works sometimes? Whoooooa there.

Started painting the porthole frames, only to have the skies open for the first time in a week, just for long enough to make it all run and need repainting.

Cleaned and filled the galley hatches, and the filler fell out due to further rot that I hadn't detected. Took one off to work on it inside and just as I finished painting it the skies drizzled enough through the open roof to leave light spots all over the paint. Arrrgggghhhh.

Anyhow, you get that on the big jobs.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #232
Admiral

Scored a Wagner 829MR HF radio from a guy in Adelaide who is renovating an old boat. He's sending it for the price of postage. Nice.

Will be meeting with a Beneteau owner up at Middle Harbour to advise on installation of his Icom 802 in a few days.

Bluetooth headphones have arrived and after seversal days messing with drivers they now work. Should be awesome with the Flex SDR-1000 radio when I dig it out of hiding.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #233
Admiral

Couple of weeks ago I informed NSW Maritime that the covers on Scarab, a yacht moored near me, had been torn off and that they should contact the owner to give them attention.

I thought nothing more of it until yesterday when Jubilee Moorings showed up with that same yacht in tow and asked me where it should go. Evidently she had broken mooring and drifted off a few days ago and I hadn't noticed, although I did sense there was something different. Water cops had handed them the job of putting her back in place again.

Sorry for the info overload, my connection has been patchy for a few days.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #234
Admiral

Oh yeah, and a light amphibian aircraft did a touch-and-go right in front of me on the river Thursday. For a moment I thought it was an emergency landing.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #235
Admiral

Pete has been again, and as usual there has been progress. The AIS and VHF antennas are now atop the mast, reception is much better on both. I'm getting 12nm for AIS which is pretty good from this sheltered position.

Thanks Pete! Enjoy your time up north with Lex.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #236
Ensign

It's been a real pleasure to read about your progress, and then see it first hand. No boat jobs go perfectly to plan it seems but we got there in the end. Good luck up north with Shenoa and I'll see you when we both get back from our trips... Or maybe even in a distant port...

Pete.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #237
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Jeez Rob, I hope you haven't worn Pete out ... laughs.

Isn't the cruising lifestyle grand, lots of nice people always willing to lend a hand. Over the years I have found that yachties are just a nicer kind of people.

Have fun,

Lexx
Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #238
Ensign

No chance of that Lex, my energy is infinite. I think my greatest difficulty when we travel will be slowing down.

Pete.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #239
Admiral

Just pulled an all-nighter to get the AIS and GPS working. Here's the result - it ROCKS!
Attached Thumbnails
AIS-GPS.jpg  

Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #240
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx View Post
Jeez Rob, I hope you haven't worn Pete out ... laughs.
You just take good care of my main man there, y'hear?

Quote:
Isn't the cruising lifestyle grand, lots of nice people always willing to lend a hand. Over the years I have found that yachties are just a nicer kind of people.
I'll have to concur on that one.