Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #281

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

It seems that cleaning the hull is an easy fix to this situation. It will make it clear that your boat is cared for and maintained.

If Keppelena is in a harbor with need for more moorings but limited space (is she?) then they may be pushing hard to get boats that don't look like they're being used by the owners out of the harbor. They may do that push even if the harbor has plentiful moorings for all boats. It is a fine line these harbor authorities walk.

Traveling here in the US, we come across situations where all the moorings or free anchorage areas are taken up by boats that literally never go anywhere nor are the boats being worked on/maintained by the owners. The big beard of bottom growth is just one external indicator. So, those of us who are actually using our vessels are then stuck with literally no room in the harbor. We have anchored outside of safe harbor, in roadstead anchorages, simply because the anchorage or mooring field is full of essentially abandoned vessels. In worst cases, the local harbor authority will put in place a ban on ALL anchoring (or beyond 72 hrs) and yank the moorings out so they do not have to deal with the headaches of these derelict boats. That practice also places a force upon cruisers to just leave the country. Easier to leave than try and deal with the local harbor authorities. Yes, these are lovely destination harbors, they've just been abused first by bad boaters and second by clamp-down actions by the government authorities. So much easier if boaters were thoughtful of their own actions and how their actions impact other boaters in the long run.

Good luck getting your bottom cleaned and everything as you want it there with Keppelena.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #282
Lieutenant

Home Port: Stockholm

Seems you're in the right so dam the torpedoes full speed ahead

Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #283
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Thanks guys.

Redbopeep: All sensible comment as usual. The mooring area I'm in is surrounded by $6M houses but there have been no complaints about me or my yacht, even when I was working on her for 18 weeks straight. I'm unobtrusive and don't abuse what freedoms remain. There are four people on the waiting list for moorings in the area but I doubt that this is a significant factor in their decision.

Simply getting a clean done isn't possible before I arrive in Sydney in 6 weeks. Contractors in Sydney are notoriously unreliable and this was outlined to the maritime authority in my initial response. I also pointed out that the hull had been cleaned from a dinghy to a depth of 450mm below the surface before I left so they must be noticing recent growth, except maybe at the heel under the helm which was unreachable.

There's also a financial consideration. Even if I could find someone to do the job at short notice, the standard charge is upwards of $500 and this would be required at least quarterly due to the heavy growth in the area. My sole income is from an estate, which has recently been challenged. Income has dropped to subsistent levels due to the administrators having to pay legal fees and accountants, and I just spent a large chunk of change on a house in NZ leaving me with severely depleted reserves. I was living well within my means but the income suddenly went down to half of normal 8 weeks ago and is likely to continue in that vein for the unforseeable future.

It's tough but I'll muddle through it.

Rob

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #284

Best of luck in these sorts of muddle through times, Rob. Hopefully you'll be all sorted out and the authorities happy with you soon enough.

Fair winds,

Old 09-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #285
Admiral

Some good news from NSW Maritime. I've been given a reprieve until 30 Nov to get the hull cleaned, which is tons of time. They sent an inspector out and checked her over and came up with a few more trivial items to do (like tidy up the cover, which has apparently come loose) but all in all I'm happy with their response.

Phew!

Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #286

So when will you make the trip to go clean the hull and all? Do you have a couple other good projects to do at the same time?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #287
Admiral

I was planning to return to Sydney in mid-October anyhow, which is why I was disturbed at their insistence to fix such a trivial issue earlier. The new diesel will be installed in November (the crane barge was booked last March) and I still need to finish the pilothouse roof.

There's still plenty to do, but if all goes well I should finally be mobile early in 2014.