Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Ensign

Anyone ever use or have knowledge of FoodSaver Vacuum sealer?

Tom

Old 12-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Admiral

I have used one brand or another for many years, and find it useful for more than just food.

We vacuum seal our filters - fuel and oil - but packed in with each filter is a silica dessicant package to remove any moisture, as little as it might be, trapped in with the filter.

If you have a freezer, for many items it is better to freeze the food before packaging it. Vacuum seal the frozen items - meat and pre-prepared foods will then not crush or weep liquid that can compromise the seal.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Jeanne. Where do you get the silica packages?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Admiral

Right now I have enough to practically supply the ARC rally fleet. I bought some at a good price, and didn't pay attention. About 10+ POUNDS of silica gel for the price I paid in Australia 10 years ago for 2 pounds. Want some? I can package some up and send it, you pay postage. Then you just put it into coffee filter paper and glue it in.

I also take a lot of over the counter anti-inflammatories that are packed with those plastic barrels that contain charcoal and silica. I put those in empty bottles that I store with the tops on (without the charcoal/silica, the inside of the bottles tend to get moldy and/or smelly).

SY WATERMELON |

Old 12-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the offer. Can I take a rain check?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
Admiral

Sure. I don't think it's possible for me to use it all.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 12-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mitchell View Post
Anyone ever use or have knowledge of FoodSaver Vacuum sealer?
I buy food in bulk at warehouse stores and repackage with a Foodsaver. Although I understand Jeanne's point about freezing first I haven't had any trouble with chicken breasts, beef cuts, or ground meat.

For offshore passages I now cook a good bit ahead and seal one or two servings in a Foodsaver bag. With care, including using a trivet in the bottom of your pot, you can reheat the meal in the bag, reducing clean-up at sea.

Some of the Foodsavers have settings for moist content (they pull the vacuum more slowly) and fragile items (they pull less vacuum). These models are worth it - I use the 'moist' setting often.

S/V Auspicious
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:20 AM   #8
Commander

Forget the food part - - the foodsaver is worth it weight in gold as a device to vacuum pack you spare parts. Pumps, engine parts, alternators, everything goes into a bag and then is vacuum packed and put away in the bilge or other storage areas. Years later when you need the part it is good as new with no rust or corrosion from the salt atmosphere we live in. I buy the rolls of bags which come in two widths. Sometimes I have double bag the item as any sharp edges or corners can puncture a single bag.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissailing View Post
Forget the food part - - the foodsaver is worth it weight in gold as a device to vacuum pack you spare parts. Pumps, engine parts, alternators, everything goes into a bag and then is vacuum packed and put away in the bilge or other storage areas. Years later when you need the part it is good as new with no rust or corrosion from the salt atmosphere we live in. I buy the rolls of bags which come in two widths. Sometimes I have double bag the item as any sharp edges or corners can puncture a single bag.
The most brilliant post on this forum I have found! We do EVERYTHING, injector tips, sewing machine parts, electronic spares (and thats where the delux unit that you can control how much vacuum before seal is worth it. MEGA stars for this post!

Oh yeh, Linda does food with it too, but has to ask me for it....
Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
Ensign

I just picked up a brand new FoodSaver last week and now I'm addicted to the whole vacuum/seal process.

My older brother just got back from a 2 week cruise from Mexico and brought back with him over 20lbs of sealed bags of tuna!

These things rock!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
Ensign

Foodsaver really save the food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyspanker View Post

I just picked up a brand new FoodSaver last week and now I'm addicted to the whole vacuum/seal process.

My older brother just got back from a 2 week cruise from Mexico and brought back with him over 20lbs of sealed bags of tuna!

These things rock!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by caad View Post

Foodsaver really save the food!
Sounds perfect for preserving Spam - including the Bacteria !
Old 12-02-2011, 02:24 AM   #13
Ensign

Default They are great

Yes, those are very good for all kind of usses. Not just for food.

Tags
food