Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #41
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Ooh, look ... a lurker!

Thanks Bruce, nice that you noticed. I guess if we just keep an eye on the goal, no amount of setbacks will damp the enthusiasm. One of the issues has been my lack of what's really needed in a marine environment, so the learning curve has been steep and a little expensive. However it has the advantage of being educational to others, and also an interesting challenge for me. I'm sure that my appreciation of the end result will be worth it in the long run, being able to proudly say "I did it myself."

There's also an underlying theme here. I regard the ferro as the sort-of underdog of the yachting world. They're pretty unloved by many people, and often present in awful condition due to years of abuse/misuse/poor repairs. OTOH they're cheap and relatively plentiful, and you really have to respect the poor sod who spent five years of his life building them in the first place. So in a way they suit me, as the underdog both financially and socially.

Hope you have a dream to sail one day, and if you do keep an eye out for ferros. They're the best bang for the buck, hands down. And yeah, if we do meet a beer is definitely on the cards.

Cheers!

Rob

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #42
Admiral

Foredeck scraped and painted, waiting for small cement patches to dry before patching the paintwork. That chain locker cover will need to be replaced, and there's still some cement work needed on the edging:
Attached Thumbnails
foredeck.jpg  

Old 11-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #43
Greenhorn

Home Port: Runaway Bay Qld
Smile Found a 55ft Ferro for Under 20G's

Hey Haiqu,
Yes, I'm in the market for a sailing vessel, but my search criteria does not lend itself to the ferro's of the yachting world.
Having said that I have just now noticed a 55 ft ferro for sale for .... get this...... $19,995.
She needs A LOT of tlc so I thought, with your love affair with ferros, you might be able to find someone with a similar interest to give her that much needed 'kiss of life'. She can be viewed at this link...

Used 55 Sayer for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

Her name is Ocean Leopard.

Cheers, AussieBruce
Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #44
Admiral

Oh man, now that is a bargain! She's certainly in no worse condition than Keppelena was when I bought her, and has more equipment to boot. Surprised that I hadn't spotted that one, thanks.

To take on a 55'er would need a team, not a single person of my age. Certainly single-handed sailing would be out of the question. There's about 12 months' work for two people there to clean, paint, restore and refurbish. But what a grand home once she's finished. I'd estimate about $25,000 on top of buying cost to bring her up to condition, so for $45k or so you'd have a great yacht capable of going anywhere.

About six months ago I could have had a 55'er for free if I could fine somewhere to store it. The yacht had a list of about 15 degrees and had likely lost a chunk of the keel. NSW Maritime had issued an order that she be immediately slipped for repair, including restepping the masts. I had to let it pass by, even with a newly restored engine thrown in it was beyond my means.

But Ocean Leopard looks to be in merely neglected condition, not damaged. That's quite a viable boat there. Must do some research on Sayer, never heard of the designer either. [Edit: Date in the ad is wrong, Sayer didn't start building ferros until the late '70s. I suspected as much.]

So Bruce, what kind of boat do you see youself sailing? For goodness sakes don't say Benetau ...

Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #45
Admiral

Oh no! I just found this quote on a forum discussing ferro boats:

"Boats are like rabbits; you can have one boat or many, but you can't stop at two" - A. Onassis

Now I'm in trouble.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #46
Admiral

That's quite recognisable as an Ev Sayer design. Just found a very nice 36'er that looks almost identical:

About Zinkwazi | Zinkwazi

Ev Sayer is retired, he started building in Whangarei NZ and travelled all over helping people plaster their yachts. Sounds like a cool guy.

The Queensland company Sayer Design (aka Premier Yachting Services) is owned by Ev Sayer's son Jon so this one may have been built in 1969 after all, although it would have been one of Ev's first and probably built in NZ.

Not much else on the 'net about them, which is unsurprising given the age. Even useful data about Hartleys is hard to come by, except for the efforts of Hartley NZ.

That yacht was listed at $40,000 not long ago: Sayer 55 1969 For Sale | Boats for Sale on Boat Deck

Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #47
Admiral

Damn, I knew it would happen eventually. This cute girl wants to run away to sea with me, what should I do? Not a random, I actually know her from Melbourne.
Attached Thumbnails
Bronny3.jpg  

Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #48
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
So Bruce, what kind of boat do you see youself sailing? For goodness sakes don't say Benetau ...
While I understand that people denigrate concrete boats, I don't generally support their contentions. But, I don't understand why people are so critical of the Beneteau.

I have had a lot to do with both. I am wary of the build quality of many concrete boats, and I am respectful of the Beneteau for many of the same reasons which has made them the world's most popular production boat yard.

For the record, my last concrete boat was designed by Ben Lexen, built by Joe Adams and was the 55' younger sister of the legendary 'Flying Footpath', Helsal. Helsal tribute to Joe Adams in Rolex Sydney Hobart - Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2013)

I love concrete boats, but would never buy, for instance, a home built Hartley without submitting it to a full, out-of-the-water, X-Ray survey. Samson boats on the other hand, built by recognised yards in both Western Australia and New Zealand are usually built to the designer's standards.

Re kitting a 55' concrete boat would be a costly exercise. Because the engine is clagged, it's a fair bet that the rig is past it also. Re-rigging a 30 tonner could cost upwards of $60,000 and sails which will probably be buggered also, will cost another $15,000. Big boats like that are good offshore, but a second hand rig and sails is not a good idea in the middle of an ocean. Then, it needs a repower (how much for a reliable 70-100hp diesel engine, gearbox, electrics, new bearers, perhaps shaft, prop and maybe even fuel tanks) and the electronics will also be 80s vintage and be in need of an update. Just taking it out of the water and giving it an antifoul, then re launching could be an $1800 job, providing there is nothing else nasty lurking below the waterline; such as shaft and rudder bearings.

Let's argue that one could do a lot of the work oneself (And hats off to you as you seem to have the determination to do just that), you may still need $100k including the original cost of purchase.

For that you could buy a sub 40', five year old Beneteau Oceanis, designed for world cruising and ready to go.

I have restored three old boats, a GRP 27 footer, a 34' glass over ply trimaran, and a 45' concrete, Joe Adams Whimoway. Restoring a boat for offshore work is a huge, full time task and, I suspect the $20k bargain may be a huge pain in the bum.

I follow your progress with great interest and I am in awe of your enthusiasm. I know you will eventually have a boat to be proud of, but Bennies are not a floating scourge.

They are the world's most popular production boat for good reason, no matter what the knockers say.

And now, to the cutie:
PUT THE TROWEL DOWN LONG ENOUGH TO GRAB HER WITH BOTH HANDS.

Fair winds.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #49
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
And now, to the cutie:
Quite agree and give her a paintbrush
Old 11-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #50
Admiral

Quote:
While I understand that people denigrate concrete boats, I don't generally support their contentions. But, I don't understand why people are so critical of the Beneteau.
You're reading too much into my comment there Auzzee. It's just a bit of a cliche is all, everybody wants one.

Quote:
For the record, my last concrete boat was designed by Ben Lexen, built by Joe Adams and was the 55' younger sister of the legendary 'Flying Footpath', Helsal. Helsal tribute to Joe Adams in Rolex Sydney Hobart - Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2013)
Interestingly this name probably derives from Jon Sayer's first design, aptly named the Floating Footpath.

Quote:
And now, to the cutie:
Well, she's the daughter of a fisherman and grew up on the beach in Seth Efrica, and has a degree in something or other, but can she cook?

:-)

Old 11-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #51
Greenhorn

Home Port: Runaway Bay Qld
Post My Turn to reply about a Beneteau

Hi again Haiqu,
I can certainly see your love affair with the ferros, and i can now see a dilema for you with Ocean Leopard, with what you have dug up on the internet regarding her Pedigree.
I agree with Auzzie re the costs of potential restoration of a ferro. This one appears to have been properly built in NZ as you have noted, ALSO, the rigging and engine condition (I believe) can only be guaged by a proper inspection, AND, the true potential costs can then be estimated. You however, Haiqu, are a man of extraordinary resources, so if anyone can save her, it just may come thru you. I'm not suggesting you buy her my friend, as boats are like woman and consume much from a man. Perhaps she may still be around ( the boat), after you are satisfied with your efforts with the two Hartlies. Then you may decide to lavish your time & energy on another vessel.
As for the lady, well..... how much time do you have now Haiqu? Me thinks a lady friend at this point might just dowse a bit of the flame you have for your two Hartley girls. Ponder this carefully as you have come along way with those girls.

AS FOR THE BENETEAU.....
I'm in the market for a 3 double cabin cruiser (sail of course).
My specification reads long, and includes... long keel... self furling main... aft corner galley... solar... wind turbine... bow thruster... and the list goes on & on. BUT, as you can see, I WILL have to compromise, as we all do.
AS FOR THE BENETEAU..... I also agree with Auzzie regarding the 'Oceanis' stable of Beneteau. They have racked up many a sea mile and have the runs on the board (so much for my long keel as you may say), but I'm not writing anything off until I do MY comparison and come to the compromise I'M willing to accept.
Your love affair is with the ferros and is commendable and I hope you continue doing what you are doing. It appears from your readers comments, that we are all behind you and wish you well!!! but we all have our personal likes and dislikes, & for me, I love the lines of the older boats, but I can't afford the general upkeep of most of them. So no matter what my compromise becomes, I will always turn my head when an older sleek lined 'lady of the sea' goes by.
Fair winds to you Haiqu.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #52
Admiral

I found some more information. This yacht Ocean Leopard was/is owned by a Paul O'Malley who in 2007-08 was an active member of Port Stephens Yacht Club. It was listed in the newsletters as a 50'er which is likely the LOD, the sales blurb probably includes the bowsprit.

There is also a NZ tour company and an 80' charter yacht by the same name.

My estimate of repair costs includes the observation that she seems to have viable rigging and at least a mainsail, and that 202 Holden motors are a dime a dozen. I'm also an optimist and do most work myself to contain costs. As you say an inspection would be vital, and I may try to fit that in when I head to Newcastle in less than a fortnight to board Chiara Stella for the trip to NZ.

Point taken about the girl, I need to channel my energies. Then again she might not be ready to make a move for 12 months due to work commitments anyhow, by which time I may well have finished both yachts. I have no plans at this stage to restore another, but you never know!

Good luck with your search for the perfect "mistress of the sea."

Old 11-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #53
Admiral

After the recent liberating experience of tossing out some scrap timber I've instigated a policy of finding three things a day that are useless and binning them. Today I found five redundant items while going through the cupboard looking for a shackle for the jib sheet, and it would have been six except that the thing that looked like it could have belonged to Jaba the Hutt's girlfriend turned out to be a spare diaphragm kit for the manual bilge pump.

Speaking of girlfriends, it seems to me that travelling the world alone wouldn't be optimum. I'm not the sort who sees himself as an aging Lothario with a girl in every port (and vice-versa) and a bit of company would probably do me good. Then again, as they say in Trinidad, "Biatches be creazy, mon." Dunno, I'll play it by ear.

Getting a bit antsy about NZ, I'm fully packed already apart from items I'm still using day-to-day. Exciting!

Old 11-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #54
Admiral

Sydney's weather has been rubbish since Friday. Two days of gale force winds and torrential rains, followed by a gloomy and overcast Sunday reminiscent of my home town, Melbourne. Today I planned to take a shower and visit some suppliers but there are severe weather warnings until at least Wednesday.

With only one battery aboard and the 100W solar panel packed away I'm finding that life is pretty boring. Even if I had power I can't use the ham radio because of constant static crashes, and can barely use the internet because the mooring swings around like crazy.

I managed to survey the contents of the chain locker Friday. There's a nice large plough anchor which I've now hung off the bow rollers ready for deployment, a smaller auxilliary or emergency anchor of Danforth style, and a much smaller Danforth which looks appropriate for a dinghy.

At my next mooring service the chain from the concrete block to the mooring line needs to be replaced, the links have almost worn through. I was worried about the cost of this in addition to the regular service fee of $200 but it looks as though the problem may be solved. The 10 metres or so of chain attached to the big anchor is too large for the winch and will need to be changed anyhow, so it can be used for the static mooring instead. I love it when that happens, it makes me feel lucky.

Not so lucky is the missing anchor winch handle. I've discovered four winder handles in various cupboards but none of them fit the 3/4" (19mm) square winch shaft. If anyone has a spare handle of this type I'd be happy to barter for something, or for that matter if you know where such an animal could be acquired this could also help. Really don't feel like making one from raw metal at this stage.

I was going to take the Venu A2414N wi-fi extender from the yacht to the house in NZ but decided instead to buy the big brother Mars A2414N 44dBi model and have it delivered by post. Didn't like the idea of taking apart a working installation, and besides that's one less thing I have to carry halfway across NZ.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:57 AM   #55
Admiral

Nothing like a bit of sunshine to change your demeanour. Battery is all charged up again and life is looking rosy.

First order of the day was to sort out the bilge pump, which hasn't been running. It seems to have filled up with oily sludge from the bottom of the bilges, which haven't been pumped in years evidently. Loosened the hose and rotated it to right the pump so the switch operated reliably, then with the use of some (biodegradable) kitchen detergent and a few buckets of sea water she seems to be running fine.

Then I hopped ashore to the council amenities and took my usual cold shower, which I almost needed after five days. Visiting that particular little jetty is always fun because of the lizards that live around it. They're about three times the size of a common skink and half the size of an adult bluetongue, and dart about through the bushes as you walk up the path.

Then off to Bunnings Hardware for a few items. I particularly asked for a Ryobi charger that works off 12 volts, and was almost back on the dinghy when I decided to check inside the package. Damn, they gave me the 240V version. So back to the store again, a round trip of 14km.

Finally got aboard after all that and realized I'd completely forgotten to buy cement to patch the edging. Grrrr. Anyhow, at least I have some fresh bread and bacon, so tonight's dinner will be better than the usual rice stuff I make. And corn flakes, how I missed them when they ran out!

I just looked up anchor styles, the one I described yesterday as a plough is known as a CQR anchor. Looks really solid and dependable.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #56

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

There's nothing intrinsically wrong or bad about a CQR, many boats have them, however the newer breed of anchors (Rocna, Sarca, Bugel, etc) have many times the holding power for the same weight & surface area. CQRs in particular are adept at pulling out and not resetting should your boat swing over the top of them. Check the recent articles in Afloat, Cruising Helmsman, Yachting Monthly, etc.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #57
Admiral

Yes, I could see how that would happen. There's nothing in the design to roll it over again if that happens.

I was sitting at the table squinting at the computer and imbibing my first coffee this morning when a rubber dinghy tore past and I heard a loud "thunk". Imma be all like "Dafuq just happened?" so I go out on deck, to discover the Whitworths (chandlery) 2013/14 Summer Bargain Catalogue on my deck.

Wayqool ... a $10.00 discount voucher, and I was planning to go to that shop today too!! :-)

Old 11-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #58
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Great to see a retailer who recognises that not all marketing needs to be on the 'net. Kudos to Whitworths...Dey be de bomb!

I agree with Del on anchoring and while I have never had a 'Secure' (C-Q-R) lose its grip, I now have a 35lb Delta, a 35lb Bruce and recently bought a new Fortress aluminium anchor because the blurb said they are the best in the world. Fortress Anchors – The World's Best Anchors!
They are a little bit of a nuisance to stow on the fine bow of a 37'er, and they are substantially bigger than a CQR needed to stop a boat of the same size. But one needs good brakes! The Fortress is 2 sizes bigger than I really need (It's an FX37 and cost $650) and I will see just how good it is as time goes on.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #59
Ensign

Home Port: coos bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
In 2004, 17 people world wide were killed in shark attacks. That's the most in any recent year. In the same year, 43 people were killed by falling coconuts.
What's worse is several thousand die on couches each year in the USA alone! I think we should get up a petition to pass a law banning couches
Old 11-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #60
Ensign

Home Port: coos bay

Quote:
Great to see a retailer who recognises that not all marketing needs to be on the 'net. Kudos to Whitworths...Dey be de bomb!

I agree with Del on anchoring and while I have never had a 'Secure' (C-Q-R) lose its grip, I now have a 35lb Delta, a 35lb Bruce and recently bought a new Fortress aluminium anchor because the blurb said they are the best in the world. Fortress Anchors – The World's Best Anchors!
They are a little bit of a nuisance to stow on the fine bow of a 37'er, and they are substantially bigger than a CQR needed to stop a boat of the same size. But one needs good brakes! The Fortress is 2 sizes bigger than I really need (It's an FX37 and cost $650) and I will see just how good it is as time goes on.
I like the delta fastset, but to be honest the old Danforth always seems to hold better and is eaeier to stow than all the rest. It sets with a shorter rode than most. Don't know why you don't see more of then in use? Maybe cause they are ugly?