Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #1

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Sometimes this living on a boat thing is funny and challenging in unexpected ways. For example, tonight we’re going to a Commodores’ Ball hosted by three San Diego yacht clubs. This means we’ll be in formal wear. In my case a silk dress and in David’s case a tux. The sort of thing one doesn’t want getting covered in salt water while rowing to shore from the boat and the sort of shoes one doesn’t want to get wet at all.

Since we’re always anchored out somewhere, we briefly considered getting a slip and then decided it was too much of a hassle to find one and get the car positioned near it. The logistics continued to stump us for a bit until we decided that we’d anchor at La Playa adjacent to San Diego Yacht Club and use their nice shower facilities for getting dressed. I called the SDYC to confirm that we can use their facilities as well as leave our dinghy at their docks for the evening and now everything is set. The plan is that I row to shore, drop off David to pick up the car parked in a neighborhood near La Playa anchorage, I then row over to SDYC and tie up the dinghy at their docks and David meets me in the yacht club parking lot with the car. That’s the basics of transport.

I still have to steam the wrinkles out of David’s tux this afternoon on the boat and we still must manage to get the formal wear to shore (in a bag!) without damage but it is easier this way than wearing it for sure. Oh, and since we don’t have a blow dryer, I’ll be washing my long hair around 2 pm and sitting in the yacht club reading room letting it dry for a couple hours before getting dressed…but, I have a plan!

When we return, we do the whole thing in reverse–change clothes, David takes the car to the neighborhood parking area, I row over from the yacht club to the beach rendezvous with David and back to the boat we go.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Admiral

Brenda,

Can you remember the details of returning to your Schooner?

Richard

Old 11-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #3

So Richard, do you suspect we were sloshed?

We actually ended up, last minute, deciding not to leave the dingy at SDYC but rather we canoed to the beach, put the canoe on the car, drove to the club, showered, etc. This was so that, after the event, we could quickly change out of our formal wear (in the car parked near the beach) and just portage and launch the canoe to the boat quickly. Plus, it is very easy to lift the canoe onto the deck and stow it quickly at night. All's well that ends well--no oops overboard moments to-or-from the boat and we had a wonderful time in between. Some folks did wonder why we brought our canoe to the party, but hey leave them wondering...

Old 11-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Admiral

If Perry Mason asked,

"Can you remember the details of returning to your Schooner?"

The answer given to the question was wrapped up in "All's well that ends well--no oops overboard moments to-or-from the boat and we had a wonderful time in between."

Erle Stanley Gardner might have added " you remember 'we canoed to the beach, put the canoe on the car, drove to the club, showered etc.'"

Unfortunately no details emerge as to how you returned to the boat, was it by your own canoe? Were you together? Some folks wondered why you brought your canoe to the party - Did these same folks see you leaving in the same canoe or did they see you leave by other means? Is it possible that you swam back to your boat, leaving a canoe on the roof of your car?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #5

Richard, I'm beginning to think you're the one who's sloshed...

Old 11-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post

Richard, I'm beginning to think you're the one who's sloshed...
As I seldom ever touch a drink - not guilty.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: victoria bc
Default https://livingaboardboats.com/

I always prefer to be anchored out then in a slip. i like the freedom
Curtis
Living Aboard Boats

Tags
living aboard