Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-21-2017, 10:58 PM   #61
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Actually there was one more onerous task to do. I have been storing about a hundredweight of old radios aboard for want of somewhere better to put them. They're now in the van and on their way to the tip as soon as I get back to Queensland.

That freed up a cupboard to store all my paint and glues, instead of having them out in the open.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #62
Admiral

Monday morning 5am and I'm gobsmacked that I have nothing to do for the next three days. I'm planning to take the ferry from Woolwich to Circular Quay on Thursday and mingle with the people doing the traditional Rocks pub crawl. I rarely drink but I'm sure it will be amusing anyhow.

Friday I might see if I can find a laundromat, then Saturday is the reunion. I'll most likely be back in Queensland next Monday.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 PM   #63
Admiral

After discovering 200 litres of dirty fresh water in the central bilges below the head yesterday there was yet another task to add to the list. I lifted the solar panels to find the cabin top below them full of cracks and holes, which explains where the water was entering. Filler and paint done, relaxing again until I find something else to fix urgently.

She now weighs one tonne less than when I arrived, thanks to all this water I've pumped out.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:34 AM   #64
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Water ballasted boats are all the rage on the racing circuit these days. Good to hear the old girl is coming back to life.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #65
Ensign

Home Port: sydney
Vessel Name: pegasus

Go for it , some times you need a bit of a push by seeing others doing your dream. If you don't go in company there are plenty of cruising folk to head you in the right direction. I'm chasing my rainbow around June , scary but I need it for me.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #66
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Water ballasted boats are all the rage on the racing circuit these days. Good to hear the old girl is coming back to life.
Holding action mainly, most of my attention is going onto Shenoa in Qld. I'm not a fan of the water ballast after the reports of MacGregors sinking due to owners forgetting to fill the ballast.

At least the annoying sloshing noise has stopped!

Old 01-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #67
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboyracer View Post
Go for it , some times you need a bit of a push by seeing others doing your dream. If you don't go in company there are plenty of cruising folk to head you in the right direction. I'm chasing my rainbow around June , scary but I need it for me.
Actually I have a snowball's chance of being ready for April, there's just too much work needed. But that won't stop me trying. Yeah, chase that rainbow, we're a long time dead.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:09 AM   #68
Admiral

I'm off the boat and on the wander for a few days. Nice to stretch the legs again.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #69
Admiral

Attended the Australia Day celebrations at Circular Quay on the 26th and last night was the reunion. I'm now in Port Macquarie on the way back to Brisbane, and can feel the weather getting hotter already.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:43 PM   #70
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

Hope you have a safe trip mate,
Old 01-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #71
Admiral

Yeah, I don't take any risks while driving. Amazed that I can still drive 1000km within 24 hours but today I'm feeling a bit knackered.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #72
GOF

So I take you are back home a just busting to start on the clean and preen.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #73
Admiral

Doing my fair share of long distance driving. Just made an interesting calculation. Convert US gallons to Imperial gallons, then to litres- multiplied by average Oz cost per litre, puts the price of regular fuel here in the US, at 69 Australian cents per litre.

With rare exceptions, fuel here contains 10% ethanol, which slightly lowers the distance travelled per litre, but it's still a very cost effective means of travel, especially on the Interstates at default speed limit of 113kph.

Thankfully, the wind is still free (Don't tell Donny Trump though), and there is plenty of it.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #74
Admiral

Auzzee: Yeah, and the water is still free (Don't tell Peter Brabeck).

I'm on LPG and pay about that price for fuel, although it does rise to 80.5 cents in country areas. Unfortunately Caltex changed their nozzles a while ago and only about half of them work now, at least on my VW van.

Squizzy: Rarin' to go mate. Although one of the guys here just picked up a Roberts fibreglass yacht in very nice condition for $4000 so I might be wiser to scrap it. I've been told by one of the yard workers that it wouldn't cost me anything to do that, they have an arrangement with a steel recycler. Tempting.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:15 PM   #75
Admiral

Here's an idea..
Attached Thumbnails
443ebf8b798191054c3743dec6fd0e3d.jpg   Midsummer-in-Shetland-week-3-0864.jpg  

Old 01-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #76
Admiral

The land they stand upon is far too expensive for my budget.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #77
Admiral

Sleeping far more than Sydney. It's definitely the heat, I'm exhausted all the time here.

Off to my brother's place tomorrow to exchange the van for the Isuzu truck again. Next weekend visiting a friend 100km north of the boatyard. I need perspective.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:49 AM   #78
Admiral

Catamarans have been grabbing my attention again. Spotted a 1992 Grainger 40'er for sale a few days ago. They do have quite a few advantages over monohulls for the older sailor.

This one has twin Volvo Penta 59hp diesels with saildrives (but at 6000 hours they'll need a rebuild soon), a freshly painted mast that needs to be reinstalled, a couple of soft patches on deck near the forward hatches and is on a mooring in the Philippines. 1000 litre water tanks, 500 litre fuel tanks, 2400 watts of generating capability (solar/wind). At AU$80k it seems like a very good deal, especially with Australian registration.

This is the sort of yacht that couldn't disappoint me in the long term for world cruising. If only the damned rules hadn't changed regarding application for the pension. It showed up just 18 months too soon for me.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #79
Admiral

Made an offer but it was rejected. Meh, back to scraping the hull.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #80
GOF

Lol...photos of the progress?