Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-08-2017, 01:51 AM   #81
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Nyet. That's Russian for "not yet".

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #82
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

Need before and after shots...otherwise people should'nt take photos of children just grumpy old farts. Was explaining to some guy today that life is like a coin dropping from a building, Some arehigh some not so high some have a few ledges we bounce off and some are a straight drop, But that bloody coin seems to go so much fasteras it gets closer to the bottom.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #83
Admiral

Before shots are in #14 of this thread. After you'll have to wait for.

I'm off to the Noosa hinterlands for the weekend, courtesy of an invitation from my friend Priska. We recently caught up briefly after 40 years and it will be nice to spend a weekend at her place.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #84
GOF

What about during? One needs to keep abreast of things.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:49 AM   #85
Admiral

Tempted to post a titty shot after that comment, but this isn't Sailing Anarchy.

Both Webb Chiles and Fatty Goodlander have left South Africa today. It's also my birthday.

"Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64."

Old 02-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #86
GOF

The best part about getting old, Is that you have. So many people are not afforded the privilege of getting old. Happy birthday mate and may you enjoy many more.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:43 AM   #87
Admiral

Squizzy: Yes, getting old certainly beats the alternative.

Just picked up a 20' container for $1000 from a guy who is leaving the yard after 8 years here. I'll need to also pay an extra $99pcm ground rent but the extra convenience is well worth it. Now will be able to empty the truck and sort my crap, throwing out anything I don't need any longer. It will also make a nice shaded workshop for working on stuff.

With any luck I may even be able to resell the truck and go back to the VW van as my primary transport. It was only really needed to collect my stuff from Melbourne after all.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #88
GOF

Sounds like a small price to pay to have an area that you can set up as a workshop and storage area.. Also a lock up so tools stay yours.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #89
Admiral

The decision has been made. Once I get my stuff in the container I'll be selling the truck, crushing Shenoa and sending her to the recycler then going back to the VW van until I can find a decent yacht. Shenoa just has too many issues and any money spent on her would be wasted. I'll be keeping anything I can salvage, including the mast and sails, radios, lighting, porta-potty, anchor and chain, winches and so on for future projects.

Cost to have her crushed: one slab of Mercury cider, as agreed today with the owner of the Bobcat.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #90
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

You will have to give thought to the swan song, for those nameless people who built, commissioned, owned and sailed on her. They deserve acknowledgement. I am not sure if there is a ritual, but if nothing else, it would be a fine excuse for a moment of quiet (or noisy) reflection.

It's always a sad time when a vessel is returned to its basic constituent parts. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust and all that......

I hope you can make it a memorable occasion.

I once owned a timber yacht. It was a silly project. The boat was long gone as a sailing boat when I acquired her. She was equipped with an effigy of Guy Fawkes and dispatched on November 15th 1974. A Viking's funeral for Guy, lashed to the mast, a magnificent end (albeit on land) by fire for the boat and many beers (back in the days when many beers, for me, meant more than two), and Sadarar was no more.

Footnote: Sadarar = Sex And Drugs And Rock And Roll, at a time when sex, for me was sparse, there was plenty of rock and roll, and drugs...well I still haven't tried them but what the hell I'm still only 66.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #91
Admiral

As with most ferros, it's likely that hardly anyone ever sailed aboard this yacht. She has probably been home to a succession of hopeful hobos like myself and certainly hadn't moved for many years until I motored her out of the Brisbane River last June.

But I agree, there should be a moment of silence after the deed, followed by many Mercury ciders. You didn't think I was going to let that Bobcat driver drink all of them, did you?

I like the name Sadarar. Sex was OK from what I can vaguely recall, and rock-n-roll was a major improvement over Perry Como and Peggy Lee. I stopped doing drugs in 1973, and it was probably the smartest thing I ever did. If you've managed to stay away from them all these years I wouldn't go there.

Now to figure out how to dispose of Keppelena.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #92
GOF

With so much free time on your hands maybe you should come for a drive this side of the country. We use our ferros here,We are in the middle of a two day wander out to the five fathom bank and down to Bunbury for an overnighter then back to Mandurah tomorrow..Posted a couple of pics. Just the wife, daughter and grandson. Little bit of fishing along the way.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:31 AM   #93
Admiral

Sounds like heaven Squizzy, but I'm still trying to figure out where you get the idea I have time on my hands. Maybe when I get rid of all this stuff that's costing me money, eh?

I do want to visit WA though, I think I should at least visit every state of Australia before leaving it all behind as a bad joke. Certainly won't be retiring here, can't afford it.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #94
Admiral

Anybody have an opinion about the Benford 34' Dory as sailed extensively by Pete and Annie Hill? There's one that was only launched last year, still incomplete in the water here at Beachmere which I admired as I came in last June, and it has just come up for sale. According to their ad the owners have had a change of plans about sailing the world, although I do know they have another dory as well.

Could go for the cost of materials ... bargain time.
Attached Thumbnails
dory.jpg   dory2.jpg  

Old 02-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #95
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Don't know much about the particular boat but, as with most classics of a similar size, the accommodations generally stop at the main bulkhead. Anything aft of that is cramped stowage only. It makes them very small boats for anything other than day sailing. Headroom could be a problem and it is doubtful there will be a berth sufficiently large for two....unless, of course, you stack them on top of each other.
Cheers.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #96
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

Well they sailed Badger extensivly, so the boat is capable just a case of if it suits you
Old 02-21-2017, 05:27 AM   #97
Admiral

Auzzee: The thing with the Badger is that it was designed with only one double berth, unlike many yachts that seem oversupplied with sleeping quarters. It's ideal for a cruising couple as long as they don't mind an odd shaped bed. Settees can be converted into single bunks but that isn't their prime purpose.

Internally, everywhere apart from for the double bed has full headroom. I figure it would be almost the same as the Hartley Queenslander except that there are no side decks, which allows for tons of bookshelf space.

Here's a link to the designer's page for the layout:

http://www.benford.us/dories/34.html

Old 02-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #98
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_h View Post
Well they sailed Badger extensivly, so the boat is capable just a case of if it suits you
Sounds sensible to me.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #99
Admiral

I've withdrawn my offer for the catamaran based in the Philippines after discovering that, despite it being Australian registered, GST and import duty would apply on re-entry to Australia if it changed hands while overseas. What a stupid system.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:29 PM   #100
GOF

How much is wrong with Shenoa. With the help of the array of people that usually congregate in the field of dreams boatyards can she be made seaworthy in twelve months? The reason I ask is You all ready own it. The ease of repair for a Ferro. The fact that she is a bilge keeler and that already that has saved you once due to a slight oops. And at the end of the day if you can return her to a useable condition for a heck of a lot less than another buying another craft. Also as a bilge keeler anywhere in the top end of Australia with the large tides the need to go on the hard basically is nought. Maybe twelve months in one spot could be worth it.