Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #101
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

And dont worry it is never ending with all of us. Last weekend VHF did the frying turkey trick. So today bit the bullet and bought a new VHF..Whitworths have a Horizon GX2200E . IT is GPS - AIS receiver - DSC - and VHF all in one package with about twenty other little bits to go with it..Got to love technology.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #102
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Squizzy, I delved deep and thought hard before making this decision. The hull repairs don't faze me a bit but when you discover that the drive shaft is frozen in place and that the rudder is made of 3mm fibreglass that has separated down the middle it becomes more difficult to see a result at the end of the line. Some people just can't be arsed doing a good job of building things, which - I suspect - is the origin of the term "half-arsed" in relation to handiwork. This yacht contains many examples.

The original timber mast was cut off when the new cabin was built, but the new deck-stepped aluminium mast was fitted about 10" forward of that position, with no mast partners. The mast base was affixed with plain steel tech screws, which are now rusted out. The whole cabin was shot with flowcoat, but in many places it has separated because there's no fibreglass underneath. The internal plywood shelving in the galley is only 3mm thick so placing more than 10 cans of food in there makes the whole thing bend drastically. Need I go on?

The end result would be 12 months of really hard work, for a yacht whose value would possible increase by $2000 at most. At 64 I have better things to do with my precious time. I couldn't even give this thing away while it's costing $520pcm to sit on the hard. It's all about economics, and a glut of really good yachts on the market that can be had for $30-40k. I just want to go sailing.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #103
Admiral

Speaking of which, I spotted what was advertised as a John Pugh 36 yesterday, just up the road in Scarborough. I showed it to one of the other denizens of the marina and he recognised it as a Van De Stadt that had been here when I first arrived.

The owner, a meticulous German who has 30 years in the marine industry, had rebuilt it from a bare hull and almost everything was brand new, including the engine. He had planned to sail the world but discovered it was just too small for his needs after a trip to the Whitsundays. $42,000 ONO.

Excitedly I shot him an email asking if it was on the AMSA register, since he was advertising it as being ready to go right now. The ad vanished off Gumtree a few hours later. Bugger.

Well anyhow, there's still that half-finished Benford Dory but he wanted $65k and delusionally thinks the interior can be finished in a couple of weeks. Yeah, right.

So hard to find an honest cruising yacht at an affordable price.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #104
Admiral

I have a friend in New Zealand who is a caring old soul. She runs a poetry group and worries about everything and everyone. Anyhow, her younger friend (mid-50s) just sold her house and needs a place to use as a staging point for the transition to caravan living. Her van needs a lot of renovating and could take quite a while to prepare.

My old house, being off grid and powerless, isn't a rentable proposition. But having someone taking care of the place rent-free has advantages since there will be far less likelihood of it being damaged, burgled or have goats breaking in again (it's a long story ...)

So anyhow, rather than needing to put up a temporary shack to live in while working on the caravan I'll be letting this woman use my house, and she can conveniently park the caravan in the yard. It ain't much but it will keep the rain off and who knows, she may even mow the lawn.

Another problem solved.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:46 AM   #105

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I like that, LOL, no more goats breaking in (geeze!)

"and who knows, she may even mow the lawn."

Positive thinking, my friend. Good for you!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #106
GOF

Maybe she does a lovely goat curry. Like they sas bit by bit... things get better.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:27 PM   #107
Admiral

Mmmmm ... goat curry.

There's a junk rigged schooner called a Colvin Gazelle that might be coming up for sale at the marina soon. The owner built several of them when he was a boat builder, but at 80 he doesn't think he has another circuit left in him. It has just been completely repaired and painted.

Anyone have an opinion about these yachts? I believe they sail upwind like a refrigerator but are regarded as a bit of a classic. The price is right, and she has circumnavigated ...

Old 03-02-2017, 04:15 AM   #108
GOF

Off to Houtman Abrolhos on Saturday morning for a couple of weeks,
Old 03-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #109
Admiral

Have a great time Squizzy.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #110
GOF

wish you were here
Old 03-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #111
GOF

122 islands and lots of fish crays and crabs to kill......grin
Old 03-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #112
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The Colvin Gazelle is a good looking old classic. There was a bloke sailing a Colvin Witch (similar to the Gazelle) out of Darwin forever. It had some rust issues (probably due to its amateur construction), but it always looked great and sailed a couple of Darwin Ambon races in the 80s.
This could be of interest. Nice looking boat..http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2010...s#.WLi3RoVFw2w

I hope it works out well for you.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:40 AM   #113
Admiral

My friend Priska with whom I stayed in Noosa recently just sent me some old photos. I now have proof that I was actually happy once.

Taken in 1974 the day we went hang gliding at Kurnell sand dunes. The young lady in the picture is Anna, my daughter's mother.
Attached Thumbnails
kurnell.jpg  

Old 03-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #114
GOF

and the hair......
Old 03-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #115
Admiral

It also proves I had hair once.

It also proves I had a girlfriend once ...

Old 03-04-2017, 06:48 AM   #116
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
The Colvin Gazelle is a good looking old classic. There was a bloke sailing a Colvin Witch (similar to the Gazelle) out of Darwin forever. It had some rust issues (probably due to its amateur construction), but it always looked great and sailed a couple of Darwin Ambon races in the 80s.
The Saugeen Witch is supposed to be quite a yacht, especially if built in aluminium as some were.

There are two Gazelles here, the 74yo guy who sold me the 20' container has one as well. He rigged it quite unusually with the mast sloped forward 10 degrees. It's a cutter but the main is also on a furler. Should be very easy to operate.
Attached Thumbnails
Image010[1].jpg  

Old 03-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #117
Admiral

Webb Chiles in SV Gannet has made it to Jamestown, St. Helena today. He predicted three weeks from the day he departed Durban (10th Feb) but went backwards for three days off the Cape of Good Hope so actually a fast passage.

Meanwhile Fatty and Carolyn Goodlander in SV Wild Card are about 500 km NE of the easternmost point of Brazil and have just crossed the equator. They left Luderitz, Namibia the same day.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:00 AM   #118
GOF

Moored at pelsart island. Funny how no one else is anywhere near here.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #119
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsquizzy View Post
Moored at pelsart island. Funny how no one else is anywhere near here.
That's because it is a portal to the underworld. Eat lots of garlic.
Love the Abrolhos.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:49 AM   #120
GOF

So I can go home soon then, according to some I have the soul of a devil. Ask any of my children grand children or great grandchildren. Ogre poppy.