Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Admiral

Elsewhere the subject of the clothing on a boat provided a reminder regarding UV Radiation -

Ultraviolet (UV) radiation is the invisible killer that you can’t see and you can’t feel. Heat or high temperatures are not an indication of UV radiation.

As Australia has the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world. More than 1400 Australians die from skin cancer each year, and 1 in 2 people will get skin cancer in their lifetime. The following

links from Australian authorities provide good information - especially keeping in mind the fact the skin cancers often start when children are over exposed and only later in life does the clinical evidence appear.

UV Forecasts from Australian Govn.

Sun Smart

Old 07-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Admiral

I might add that UV damage has also been implicated in cataracts forming. I have been lectured severely over the need to wear sunglasses by several doctors.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Elsewhere the subject of the clothing on a boat provided a reminder regarding UV Radiation -

Ultraviolet (UV) radiation is the invisible killer that you can't see and you can't feel.
Can't feel?? Oh yes you can, if only afterwards: after 4 hours on a rescue vessel with short pants on (and no sunscreen on my legs) I was in absolute agony for almost a week, and trust me, tomato red legs are perfectly visible!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:03 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
I might add that UV damage has also been implicated in cataracts forming. I have been lectured severely over the need to wear sunglasses by several doctors.
Since I had corrective eye surgery 4 years ago, I am pretty "naked" without my glasses as they had a UV blocking coating. I constanly remind myself to wear sunglasses. I've actually had a pair of clear glasses made with an anti-glare coating for use at night (driving and sailing, it really helps believe it or not) and since they're cute, I tend to wear them a lot. They have a UV blocking coating too--so my wrinkles may grow from my squinting in the sun, but a least my eyes are more protected.

Now, having said that. There is evidence that the far-blue color (right next to UV in the spectrum) is also damaging to the eye. As such, if you're given a choice of color for your sunglass lenses, those that have a red (or orangish) tint to them are most helpful in blocking the far blue light. We can literally say that it is healthier for us all to be wearing "rose colored glasses"

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote