After finishing the bookcase and crockery racks we were literally oozing creativity out our ears and decided to try our hand at shelves for the galley and heads. The fact that we also had a dozen handles left over and couldn't get the car in the garage because of the mountain of offcuts was just a coincidence
Our galley and heads are not overly large and finding places for all the bits n bobs like herbs, sugar, coffee etc is often a pain. You either have bulk containers you have to haul out of the hold each time you rattle a pan or a kettle, or you have small containers flying and spilling everywhere.
So here was our solution:
We purchased a 2m length of Teak fiddle with a 12mm groove. Taking some 12mm ply we glued some laminex on one side (left over laminex from our new bench tops). This was then cut down to a number of oblongs and the teak fiddle cut and glued to three edges with 45 degree corners on a mitre box. Even with the added 1mm for the laminex, the teak still slid over the edge with a little care.
Again, using scrap teak we made a number of 'ends' which were attached to the shelf from below with countersunk screws. The stainless steel 'handles' were then attached by using a forstner bit of the same diameter as the handle to make a small countersunk hole. This then gave the impression that the 'handle' went right through the teak ends - a lot neater look.
A smaller hole was drilled through the back of the bulkhead and a long bolt screwed through to secure the shelves to the wall. The other side of the wall we simply cut teak plugs to match the wall. A coat of varnish over the teak and all hunky dory.
Now for the truly magical part:
Dunderhead that I am, I probably should have sourced some containers first and made the shelves to fit
Fortunately my better half was right on the ball and after trawling through Ikea, Freedom Furniture and Target came up with a set of various sized clear perspex containers with sealable lids. They even had pump action dispenser version!
Better still, each container has a slot in the bottom that allows it to be stacked on the other and holds it in place.
Guess what? They fitted so neatly everyone round here is convinced that we planned the whole thing!
So now we have a neat and tidy galley and heads area with all our bits n bobs stored and safe. We have been out in some thumping seas and they all stay safe and secure so fingers crossed.
We have sunscreen in one pump container and liquid soap in the other for the heads. The galley has one filled with olive oil and the other with washing up liquid over the sink. (Mental note - don't mix those two up!)
Obviously the shelves could be scaled up to fit larger containers for those with the luxury of added space.
Our shelves now match our crockery racks which match the glass and cup storage racks - all looking professional and coordinated - and all out of scrap and a little imagination.