Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

COLE SLAW

This is a version similar to what the fast food chain Kentucky Fried Chicken {KFC}, serves.

8 cups finely chopped cabbage (about 1 head)

1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 medium carrot)

2 tablespoons minced onion

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup buttermilk

1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar

2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

1. Chop the cabbage and carrots into very fine pieces (about the size of rice). Methods may include chef knife on the cutting board, food grater, or food processor.

2. Combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, and lemon juice in a large bowl and beat until smooth.

3. Add the cabbage, carrots, and onion, and mix well.

4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

This will keep well in the fridge, for a week.

A make ahead side dish, handy to have in the prepared inventory.

Hints and Options.

* Buttermilk - I only use it in cooking, and rarely. I buy it; use a bit and the rest spoils. I found a solution is to buy dehydrated or powdered buttermilk; often found in the baking aisle in US markets. If it is not available; omit it. The results will be slightly different; the dish should still be good.

* Milk - Powdered should work likewise.

* Minced Onion - Dehydrated works.

* Carrot - Mostly adds color appeal. Other options may include any color of mild bell peppers, or a little purple cabbage.

* KFC does not include, but other slaw recipes often include celery seed, which I like and add.

Enjoy,

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cape Town

Jeff,

Thanks for the "cruisers salad". Another addition is a handful of raisins - makes it especially good!

Those that have not been "out there" for weeks on end should realise that a cabbage will last you for a good month or more. If it starts to looks sad on the outside, pull off the outer leaves and the inside should be good for a slaw.

John

Old 07-06-2007, 02:26 AM   #3
Kuapaa

.... mmmm. Good cole slaw recipe Jeff. Here's a 'da kine' Hawaiian version.

Sorry, I don't know any measurements - LOL.

GREEN PAPAYA SALAD

Green papaya (the less ripe the papaya, the crunchier, crisper, mo' better slaw.) Grate or thin slice lots of it! Can be found ready to use in some farmer's or china town markets.

Dikon, or substitute jicama. Some, maybe 10-20% as much papaya. Grated.

Carrot. Some for color.

Mau'i onion (or other sweet onion such as Walla Walla or Vidalia). A little to taste. Don't use too much.

Fresh fruit for sweetness. Pineapple or raisins, star fruit, etc. Julienned, or chopped. A handful or so.

---------------

Dressing:

Olive oil and macadamia nuts. Make a paste. Can be done by hand, but I use a blender... much easier. Can substitute crunchy peanut butter if no macadamias handy.

Lime juice, fresh squeezed.

Garlic. (fresh; I don't know how long it keeps aboard, since it gets used so fast. 'Garlic' and 'too much' do not belong in the same sentence.)

Thai sweet chili sauce. Just a little splash or two.

---------------

Directions:

Mix together. No need to let it rest, although it won't hurt.

Don't know how long it will keep, there's usually never any left over. But if there is, it's good for breakfast. Try it with a nice piece of grilled mahi mahi or super quick seared ahi.

Ono Grinds ! Enjoy !

Aloha,

John K.

s/v Pomaika'i
Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Just to add. To spice up this slaw. Add a hand full of raisins and two hand fulls of raw (I prefer par bolied)of Brokoly. How every you spell that. It may not sound that great, but it is. Its kinda like trying a cheese burger for the first time. It dosn't sound that great, but they are.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
Rear Admiral

Folks, there you have it; chefs, cooks, and hungry people from everywhere, putting their spin on a recipe. That is OK. ....and that is how I often prepare food. ....that is how new recipes come about.

It seems the addition of raisins is popular; and I will have try that.

Thanks all for the ideas, and suggestions, perhaps with more to come.

Daytrader,

At first I thought you meant Bok Choy {Chinese Cabbage}; but par boiled, made little culinary sense as it is high in mositure content, would become limp upon parboiling, and would not adpat well to this recipe of raw, mostly crisp vegetables with very mild fermimtation.

I think I figured it out, you mean Broccoli, correct? This stuff:

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Yes, by par boil I mean just hit it with some boiling water for a few. Raw works just fine as well. I have no back teeth, so easy soft food is kinda my thing.

You have to try adding some raisins to it. Use the big fat type not the small hard type.

It adds a sweet addition that you would not expect. It mixes very well. Like, you I have some experiance in food service. The wife and I own a small country type grocery store with a deli. very small as we have the only store for this town. We sell eveything. Fresh meat and 30 weight oil we got it.

That odd size left threat bolt for your combine. We got it. Fresh lambs leg. No problem.

I do alot of crap, but love helping folks. The folks in this town LOVE our store. Food. I like it, but I have to give credit to my wife and mother. They really get into this stuff.

I clicked on this thread because of the KFC slaw. That is some great slaw in my book.