Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Palos Verdes
Vessel Name: Corsair
Default My Taylors 030--Originally propane?

With my boat came a Taylors 030 stove/oven. But it has propane burners. I had always assumed that it had been converted since the front door says that it's Paraffin.
However, on closer inspection a stove-expert noticed that the rivets are all factory rivets as though the stove had come with propane burners originally. Also, there are no empty screw holes in the usual places that would normally be there had it been converted from kerosene to propane.
This is so odd! Has anyone else seen this in a Taylors 030?
Ginger

Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

They did make models 041 and 043 - now discontinued - which ran on propane (actually LPG) from new. The 030 was indeed a paraffin model, so maybe it was a special order.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
Ensign

That may be so. I'll see if I can get hold of the first owner again and see what he says about it.
I guess ultimately my real question is whether I should convert this lovely Taylors stove into kero despite whether it was ever kero before. It's just such an odd thing that it seems never to have been before.
Thank you so much for your reply.
Ginger
Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hi, Ginger,

Good to see you here on Cruiserlog. For the benefit of our other members--I've seen the pics of your stove before and will refer to them in this discussion.

Perhaps whoever did the modifications was really good with the rivet tool

More seriously, I have the same model Taylor 030 stove as you and I must note that there are very few holes required for the kerosene system.

It would be quite easy for those to be used for the propane system as well (plus a few little rivets?) While the stove may work wonderfully with propane, I wouldn't worry if I were you about doing a convert to kero since you're not changing it away from what it was built as, IMHO.

I just reviewed the photos and note that the style of knob is really and truly not from Taylors, the method of securing the burners to a bracket where the kero fuel line comes in normally is clever to reuse holes but is secured with what looks like high strength hex bolts isn't what I'd expect from Taylors; similarly the between the knob and the stove frame there are two little Phillips or Roberts head screws to secure a plate. Everything else on your stove is slotted head it seems.

Finally, cinching it for me at least: the front of your oven door says Taylors Para-Fin on it. Paraffin being the UK term for Kerosene, I'd think that at least the door is from a Kero stove.

Having said that--I've seen a pic of an older version of a Taylors gas stove and it looked much more like the model 030 than the new gas stoves model 41 and 43. I cannot find that pic on line anywhere now. Go figure

If I were to keep the stove as gas rather than convert back to kero (and I wouldn't because I don't like propane, I prefer kero) , the only worry that I might have would regard the source of the burners and whether they are appropriate for the marine environment. From the looks of them, they are similar to the very, very old shipmate gas burners (pre WWII) which were difficult to keep lit and somewhat undesirable compared to the modern gas burners that you could have on a boat stove today. Further, that oven has a heat shield between the burner and the oven itself. If the gas burner is too high of BTU, the shield will not be proper for the use of the burner. So--you might wish to investigate the propane burners you've got for a bit to figure out if you've got a stove set up that you'd like to work with.

Finally, I'd suggest that you get a carbon monoxide detector and use it no matter what you do.

Warm regards,
Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
Ensign

Hi Brenda,
Thank you for the close inspection of the pics.
I absolutely plan to go to kero. I really don't like Propane.
I just got a phone message reply from the first owner of my boat who had bought and installed this Taylors and he assures me it began life as kerosene. I haven't a clue when it was converted but I'm considering converting it back.
Do you happen to have a photo of the innards of your Taylors? I'd kind of like to know what it's supposed to look like. I am so looking forward to being able to cook on my boat!

Regards,
Ginger
Old 06-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #6

Default The insides of the Taylors Kero Stoves

Hi, Ginger,

Ours (a model 030) actually has been re-plumbed with a different set-up than Taylors normally has. I do have a "spare" (model 028) stove that I purchased to scavenge the two top Taylors burners from. I can snap a pic of that when I stop in at our storage unit.

However, much more useful is the wonderful scanned (.gif) pages here on a stove site: Blakes Lavac Taylors Owners Manual - Classic Camp Stoves - Powered by FusionBB

You'll see every last bit of how it is supposed to be plumbed as well as the burners on the scanned pages in above link.

Fair winds,

Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
Ensign

Hi Brenda,
No need to take a pic of it at the storage unit.
The link is terrific! Very clear and very informative!
Thanks for that!
Ginger
Old 06-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
Ensign

@ Redbopeed. I've traded a Origo stove for a beautiful Taylors 030 kerosine, but don't have a manual. Have you access to such a beast?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:39 AM   #9

Just access via the link in my post #6. When I get a moment, I'll try and email the guy and see if we can get permission to post those pages on our cruising wiki. No moment...

Fair winds,