Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Cruiseship47

I was wondering if anyone has any of recipes (favorites perhaps?) that use mustard possibly with Grey Poupon Mustard? anyone have it stored somewhere on their yacht currently?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseship47 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any of recipes (favorites perhaps?) that use mustard possibly with Grey Poupon Mustard? anyone have it stored somewhere on their yacht currently?
Pork loin with apples, prunes, and mustard cream sauce

This dish, or some form thereof, can be found in most Scandinavian countries. The apples and prunes are usually stuffed inside the pork roast, but here they are in the sauce.

Active time: 1 hr Start to finish: 1 1/2 hr

Servings: Makes 8 servings.

1 (4-lb) boneless pork loin roast, tied by butcher

1 3/4 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 Granny Smith apples (3/4 lb total)

1 large onion, chopped

1/2 cup packed dried pitted prunes (sometimes called dried plums; 4 1/2 oz), quartered

1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (12 oz)

3/4 cup water

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 tablespoons coarse-grain mustard

1/2 cup dry white wine

Preparation

Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 375°F.

Halve pork loin crosswise, then pat dry and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper (total). Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown pork, 1 piece at a time, turning occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes per piece. Transfer to a small flameproof roasting pan as browned (do not clean skillet) and roast pork until thermometer inserted diagonally at least 2 inches into meat registers 150°F, 40 to 50 minutes.

While pork roasts, peel, quarter, and core apples, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet, then cook onion in skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add apples, prunes, broth, and water and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in cream and mustard and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and keep sauce warm, partially covered.

Transfer pork to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes. Add wine to roasting pan and boil over high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until reduced to about 1/4 cup, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir pan juices into cream sauce along with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper and heat sauce over moderate heat, stirring, until hot.

Discard string from pork and cut each half crosswise into 4 slices. Serve pork with sauce.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
Ensign

Jay's Tangy Mustard Sauce

This is really good on Salmon, asparagus, etc.

1 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp Coleman's Dry Mustard

1 cup Mayonaise

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp A-1 sauce

2 tbsp each, heavy cream & milk (can use all milk)

pinch of salt

Place mustard in a mixing bowl. Add mayo and beat for one minute.

Add remaining ingredients and beat until mixture is well blended and creamy.

Cover & chill.

Should be prepared several hours in advance to allow flavors to meld.

Keeps nearly forever refrigerated.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Admiral

For those of us in the rest of the world, where all ingredients bar A-1 sauce are available, can you recommend an alternative?

Although I don't know what A-1 sauce is, the recipe sounds good anyway and probably could be made without it. Any suggestions?

Thanks // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
Ensign

We'll think about that. A-1 is a "non-tomato based" steak sauce.

It's thick, dark and kind of tangy.

Maybe I could send you a bottle!

Jay
Old 11-24-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
Admiral

Thanks for the kind offer Jay but I think it would be safer if I look for one here. I am sure I can find something that fits the description on this side of the ocean - without worrying the postal service or customs.

Sounds like a good recipe which I will definately try within the next few days.

Many thanks // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:43 AM   #7
Admiral

Although Peter can't eat a steak without it, I don't like A-1 sauce - too sweet-sour for my taste, but its ingredients are (in order on label, by law meaning in the order of highest quantity down to leastl): tomato puree, corn syrup, vinegar, raisin paste, "crushed orange puree", spices and herbs, dried garlic and onion, caramel color. A bit like a sweet and sour, but very thick and concentrated.

Lots of foods are improved with the addition of mustard. I put a small amount into potato salad dressing. Deviled eggs, of course. A large pinch of Coleman's dried mustard into creamed chipped beef. One of our English friends said that you could vary the taste of Coleman's by the liquid you added - milk, white wine, water, mayonnaise, for example.

Mix mayonnaise and a little dried mustard (or prepared mustard) and use it to coat chicken pieces. Roll them in bread crumbs and cook in a bit of oil in a pan (or better, bake in the oven if you have one).

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 AM   #8
Admiral

The original steak sauce upon which A1 is based was created in 1824 by Henderson William Brand, chef to King George IV of the United Kingdom. It went into commercial production under the Brand & Co. label in 1831, and continued in production under this label after bankruptcy forced ownership of Brand & Co. to be transferred to W.H. Withall in 1850. It was renamed A1 in 1873, after a trademark dispute between creator Henderson William Brand and Dence and Mason, who had since purchased Brand & Co. from Withall. It was then introduced to the United States under the ownership of G.F. Heublein & Brothers.

Ownership of A1 passed to R. J. Reynolds in 1982, after it merged with Heublein & Brothers, and then in 1985 to Kraft Foods, after it merged with the Reynolds company.[1]

Kraft was purchased by Philip Morris in 2000 who retains ownership, and US manufacturing of the product is currently being done by Kraft Foods, part of Philip Morris's holdings. Canadian manufacturing is carried out by Renée's Gourmet Foods Inc.

The present Kraft A1 contains :- tomato puree (water, tomato paste,), distilled vinegar, corn syrup, salt, raisin paste, crushed orange puree, spices and herbs, dried garlic and onion, caramel color, potassium sorbate (to preserve freshness), xanthan gum
Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
Cruiseship47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleinamessag View Post
Jay's Tangy Mustard Sauce

This is really good on Salmon, asparagus, etc.

1 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp Coleman's Dry Mustard

1 cup Mayonaise

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp A-1 sauce

2 tbsp each, heavy cream & milk (can use all milk)

pinch of salt

Place mustard in a mixing bowl. Add mayo and beat for one minute.

Add remaining ingredients and beat until mixture is well blended and creamy.

Cover & chill.

Should be prepared several hours in advance to allow flavors to meld.

Keeps nearly forever refrigerated.
thats pretty awesome that make you make your own mustard bottle. if you definently enjoy a more tangier mustard one that i can recommend to you is Savory Honey (its got clover honey and subtle mix of spices), from Grey Poupon Mustard. its really good it works really with vinagrettes and i can imagine you kick up that sauce dish that you have.

and since i read that you put the mustard sauce on salmon I found a good salmon recipe for ya: its up on the Grey Poupon Mustard website (www.greypoupon.com) the recipe is called Oh So Easy Salmon:

Oh-So-Easy Salmon

Prep: 5 min.

Total: 20 min.

Makes 4 servings, one fillet each.

4 salmon fillets (1 lb.)

2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. GREY POUPON Harvest Coarse Ground Mustard

16 crackers, crushed (about 1/2 cup)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Place fish in single layer on foil-covered baking sheet; spread evenly with mustard.

Sprinkle with crumbs.

Bake 25 min. or until fish flakes easily with fork.

totally recommended!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
Although Peter can't eat a steak without it, I don't like A-1 sauce - too sweet-sour for my taste, but its ingredients are (in order on label, by law meaning in the order of highest quantity down to leastl): tomato puree, corn syrup, vinegar, raisin paste, "crushed orange puree", spices and herbs, dried garlic and onion, caramel color. A bit like a sweet and sour, but very thick and concentrated.

Lots of foods are improved with the addition of mustard. I put a small amount into potato salad dressing. Deviled eggs, of course. A large pinch of Coleman's dried mustard into creamed chipped beef. One of our English friends said that you could vary the taste of Coleman's by the liquid you added - milk, white wine, water, mayonnaise, for example.

Mix mayonnaise and a little dried mustard (or prepared mustard) and use it to coat chicken pieces. Roll them in bread crumbs and cook in a bit of oil in a pan (or better, bake in the oven if you have one).
ive been hearing alot from people that they use mustard on deviled eggs. i never tried it b4. it sounds mighty good though. hmn. but yeah on potato salad thats pretty good. maybe a bit of mix when you're having a turkey sandwich with mustard w/ potato salad. lol. i've never heard of creamed chipped beef...what is that?