Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: campbell river
Red face SaltWater in Bath?

Hey Cruisers, I am a newbie and hope this is not to stupid of a question. I have small portable bathtub, and was wondering if was okay to add some seawater to it? I have salt baths at home all the time, but want to be "safe". Thanks so much for any input...

Old 01-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I have no specific medical knowledge, but......

The benefits of a saline bath are best delivered when the concentration of sodium chloride is at the same level as that of the salt which exists naturally in our bodies. For this reason, saline solution is used to clean wounds. Sea water contains a whole lot of things, some of which are beneficial, some of which are not. Cuts which are exposed to sea water and which are not then flushed with 'clean' water, can readily become infected and ulcerated.

One of the major contaminants of sea water is waste. Faecal streptococci and industrial pollutants have well documented negative effects upon inshore fisheries, and can lead to illness in humans who either injest water by mouth or whose scratches and cuts are exposed.

I assume, therefore, that bathing in sea water drawn from the open ocean would be far safer than that which is drawn from inshore waters, especially near larger communities.

An internet search will help you I am sure. In the meantime, if one assumes the major purpose of bathing is cleanliness, there can be no substitute for fresh, clean water.

Analagous to this, of course, is that little kids piddle in their bathwater and it doesn't seem to do anything other than to make people laugh...expecially when accompanied by the bubble butt.....

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
Ensign

Default E Gadz

Well, that doesn't sound encouraging, lol. I have paid a lot of money for DeadSea Salt, etc. for adding to the bath, and since I'm living on the sea, (floathouse - north Vancouver Island - off-grid) I thought I could save money by just adding filtered sea water to the bath, but it seems that may not work for me, would rather be safe and pay.... Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Salt water in the bath?

If you were down here in Oz we'd strongly recommend the wearing of a stinger suit and perhaps the addition of some red and yellow flags placed at either end of the tub to ensure you keep within the safe designated bathing area and avoid any rips. The hanging of a shark net from the faucet above the plug end of the tub might be worth a consideration also.

Read my Tuba post - lots of bities out there in the water

Fair winds,

Australis
Old 01-19-2013, 02:59 AM   #5
Ensign

Default Sharks?

I'm hoping they'll get caught in the filter,, roflmao
Old 01-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
Rear Admiral

If not you could always try harpooning them with your loofa!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
Ensign

Default roflmao

ROFLMO,,,o god, i can just picture it,, lol
Old 01-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #8
Rear Admiral

rubba dub dub, I got JAWS in me tub!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #9
Rear Admiral

Or in those immortal words of Roy Schieder....

'You know what? I think we're gunna need a bigger tub'

Old 01-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #10
Ensign

Default to funny

I can't seem to find that post you were referring to... is a tuber a shark? too cold up here for sharks,, lol,,, I have to worry about icebergs,,, lol
Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #11
Rear Admiral

Sorry - we're in the transition period between vessels and currently posting as 'Mico' although our new ketch is called Australis II. We don't know what to call ourselves
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Admiral

When we were cruising full time, mostly in the tropics and usually in undeveloped islands and countries, we bathed in the sea most of the time. Then we'd rinse off with fresh water. We didn't do this in areas that we knew were quite polluted, such as Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. but we rarely anchored in such places.

e coli, for example, normally can't survive in salt water, though where the sea water is diluted with fresh water outflow, such as an estuary or mouth of a river, the salt content might be too low to kill the bacteria. Using normally saline water to supplement your fresh water bath would be fine,, IMO.

I wouldn't worry at all about using sea water for bathing unless the sea water is known to be polluted.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
Ensign

Default Thanks

Thank you everyone for your input, I do believe there is many years of experience on this site,,, Thanks again,,, dawn, Vancouver island, Canada
Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
Rear Admiral

Not so fast gogogirl! We have yet to wax lyrical about the recuperative and cleansing powers of bathing in bilge water. It's guaranteed to do wonders for your complexion!