Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

While working on life and such was wondering if any of the folks here make their own liquors. Now I am not talking distilling as in the control by government type, but I am talking about making things like Lemonceelo's, Agrumi's, Amaro's, and other flavored Liquors from a base of high grade spirit (you can us 40% vodka but have to compensate for the flavor it gives the final product). In mainland Europe (mainly Germany and south) you can buy 70% and higher pure spirit which makes for a wonderful base for making home recipes of liquors. just wondering if anyone did and if anyone would like some recipes to try out. One simple one is the following:

100g lemon rind NO pith (the white part, or as little as realistically possible) chopped like potato sticks

300ml Spirit (70% or higher is good)

Place in bottle out of sun light and shake once a day do this for one week minimum.

strain fluid into another bottle

100g Sugar

300mlwater

Heat water with sugar until all the sugar is in suspension than pour into the bottle with the spirit cap or cork immediately and chill

Let age for another week (though can be drinkable once chilled down)

Best served cold

If you folks like that I have others that have learned over the years. In the US you can use Everclear as the spirit base.

Michael

Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Admiral

Michael ,

Somewhere in the forums we have a topic dealing with such recipes for Liquors - I used to nearly fill a Kilner jar with something like vodka - then jam a large orange (skin and all) into the neck of the jar, displacing vodka with orange until it was inserted to its greatest diameter. Ater a few days the colour of the orange in the alcohol would change from orange to nearly white - then take out the orange and turn it around and reinsert for another few days -

Voila CHEERS

Old 07-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Admiral

Michael,

Thank you for the recipe. And for the information that high-proof ethyl alcohol can be bought legally in the US. I had found a recipe for limoncello but lost it, so I appreciate being able to enjoy it again.

Now, another one I lost was for a substitute for Kahlua - coffee - flavored liqueur. Got one?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Jeanne,

1.5 liters 90% alcohol

250 grams coffee beans

1.5 kg sugar

750g of water

Yes I know the water is by weight and not volume, blame us Italians who do things strange.

You take the roasted coffee beans and grind them to a medium level. Place in a glass or crystal bottle and let set for 4 days shaking once to twice a day. Than you take the sugar and water mix and heat to near a biol and let cool. Once cool place in bottle with other ingredients and let set for another 8 days. pour off through filter twice (depending on how fine of a filter you are using) and bottle in a clean bottle. let sit at least two more days and done.

OR

250g 90-95% alcohol

100g ground coffee (for Italian coffee pots [fine ground])

2 sticks of vanilla

400g of water (approx')

500g sugar

put sticks of vanilla in the alcohol and leave four between 2 to 5 days (your nose will tell you)

take coffee grounds and make a slurry with enough water that is weighs 500gs total maximum

Pour this into alcohol and let set for anywhere from one to five days. Filter well and you are done.

STRONGLY suggested that you CUT this with other NON alcoholic items before drinking.

I have a few other ones, but think this might help you either get started or remember how you folks did it. another one that I enjoy is the following (though this is not coffee based):

Zest of one orange, one semi large Lemon (Large for those folks out side the Med' or areas where they grow to normal sizes and slightly green is preferred), two to three mandrin orange peels complete, two to three Clementine (or of such family) skins complete

.5 liters alcohol

500 grams sugar

.5 liters water

You cut up the zest and skins to match stick size and place into the alcohol. Let set for a week to two shaking daily to twice a day. Your nose will tell you when done (start with a week if unsure).

Than bring water to near boil and let cool. Than place first the sugar water in the final bottle and than the strain alcohol off the zest and skins and pour it over the water. set aside for another week at least and than serve (I prefer chilled but it can be enjoyed at cellar temp as well.

Hope you folks enjoy.

Michael
Old 08-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Admiral

Thank you, Michael, for those! I'm sorry I'm late in replying, I just found it! My computer and I have been at odds recently, and it hides stuff from me!

The citrus one will be very good, I know! No worry about water by weight, since one l of water is 1 kg of water, or 750 g = .75 liter I love the metric system for that.

It is so very hot where we are, how about

White Wine Sangria

1 litre white or blush wine

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup limeade - I usually find Rose's Lime Juice to work okay

1/3 cup apricot or peach brandy

1 lime, sliced in small sections

1 orange, slice in small sections

1 lemon , in small sections

1 peach, skin on

1 cup strawberries, halved or quartered

2 12 oz. (355 ml) cans ginger ale

I love it, but it's so fruity that it is easy to drink too much!

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Commander

Sounds good, there is a way to make a Madeira from a low to medium quality red wine that we use in Italy (not officially or course as Madeira is a "protected" trademark and name mark). You take 3L of the red table wine, .5 to 1kg of sugar and 1l of 85% or higher. You put the wine in a large pot and heat enough to suspend the sugar in the wine. You than add the 1l of high proof and bottle. Let cool and age for three to four weeks and than drink. It can be aged with some oak chips in a large bottle and than decanted at the end of the primary aging if you wish, we don't.

Michael

PS your welcome and still looking for the cream based coffee recipe, I know it is around here somewhere.