Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Japanese cooking is easy, wholesome, healthy and very tasty. But it requires ingredients which are not always easily found. To get a taste of a traditional Japanese BBQ and beer snack, I suggest trying yakitori next time you fire up the barbie.

Soak a few bamboo skewers in water for an hour (helps stop them burning during cooking and reduces the chance of splinters). Thread the skewers through alternate series of: a piece of diced chicken (or pork), a slice of leek (or onion if you prefer) and green pepper. Fry in a pan.

Wash thoroughly, then steam some good rice.(washing the rice will reduce the 'glug' factor)

Mix well, equal parts (1/3 cup) Mirin, sake and soy sauce (preferably the nice light brown japanese soy instead of the black Chinese...but the rough Chinese soy will suffice if needs be), then add one level desertspoon of brown or raw sugar. Slowly reduce this mixture over a hot flame to the consistency of warmish honey.

Go to the fridge and find some nice cold beer!

Liberally coat the chicken with the sauce mix on a bed of plain rice and drizzle a little sauce around the edge of the plate. If your taste is for hot foods, shake a little ground chilli powder (preferably Korean) over the whole thing.

Yakitori is a traditional snack and one of those tastes which makes beer taste even better.

At most yakitoria, the chef will offer a choice of pork or chicken, which are interchangable on the skewer...The magic is in the sauce.

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

I am married to a Filapina, and when we have guest on board. They are always in for a great surprise. She makes wonderful soups, and treats they have never laid their eyes on. She also bakes a bit too, so we always have something for the sweet tooth. Where ever we go I always take a little bit of the Orient with me, or is that a little Oriental with me?..LOL

Old 09-29-2007, 12:36 AM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Where ever we go I always take a little bit of the Orient with me, or is that a little Oriental with me?
I remember my navigation teacher Nic Robinson - Hongkong, reminding me that "to orientate" did not mean " to determine one's position with reference to another point" but rather to " To define the position of, in relation to the Orient or East;

So Frolic, when you wake in the morning remember to locate East.