Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-27-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

If you are missing Oz whilst cruising, break out a jar of Vegemite, and hit the galley with the following recipes http://www.vegemite.com.au/index.cfm?fusea...recipes.welcome . If you were not reared on Vegemite, you may find all this vaguely disgusting....But if there is anything which says 'Aussie' better than 'World Cup Cricket', it is Vegemite.

David

I'm getting hungry...A cheese and vegemite sandwich and a cup of tea is in order.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:50 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
If you are missing Oz whilst cruising, break out a jar of Vegemite, and hit the galley with the following recipes http://www.vegemite.com.au/index.cfm?fusea...recipes.welcome . If you were not reared on Vegemite, you may find all this vaguely disgusting....But if there is anything which says 'Aussie' better than 'World Cup Cricket', it is Vegemite.

David

I'm getting hungry...A cheese and vegemite sandwich and a cup of tea is in order.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only problem with Vegemite is that is regarded as a very inferior copy of Marmite.

In order to disguise the flavour texture and after taste of Vegemite - it is heard that spreading it on strong cheese may help, also following the example of the Chinese who follow a cup of coffee with a cup of tea.

In many parts of the world this Vegemite is not permitted within 12 nm of the shoreline - good thing too!

I shall now treat myself to a cream cracker and marmite.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
Admiral

For dedicated followers and addicts of Vegemite there is a travel pack available. It comes in a yellow tube.

On holiday in Spain my mother, suffering from sunburn, got up durig the night to cover her burning parts with a cooling lotion (also in a tube). Digging in her bag, without having firt switched the light on (so as not to disturb my father who was sleeping soundly) she identifid the tube she was loking for and proceeded to squeeze out its cotents and slap it onto her body.

And yes...........you are absolutely right. My father woke anyway of the screams as the vegemite coating added a little spice to already burned meat.

That would never have happened with Marmite which, I believe, only comes in glass jars!

I think I will be putting a lttle cheese on my cracker

Aye

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:23 AM   #4
Admiral

Must just add that I just read markje4's contribution to the Handy Hints for Cruisers thread http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/index.php...&#entry7553 and am creasing myself laughing.

Bob Brooks wrote.....

"This enterprising guy went further to determine

that it was vitamin B1 that the insects hated. An overdose of B1 is

dissipated by sweat and this keeps you bite free. It really works, just

buy B1 as 100mg pills and take one with each meal. Sometimes B1 is

marketed as Thiamin Hydrochloride."

to which markje4 replied....

"and as any good Aussie will tell you - the world's best sorce of Vitamin B1 is VEGEMITE!"

I must ask my mom if she was ever bothered by mozzies after that.

Aye

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 05-27-2007, 05:57 AM   #5
Admiral

marmite?...Marmite?...MARMITE? Marmite is similar and may have preceeded the great VEG (In fact Vegemite was originally called 'Pawill'....as in Ma might, but Pa will!). But as with anything, imrpovements are made. I mean, beer was brewed in England long before it was brewed, and significantly improved, in Oz.

So it is with vegemite.....But perhaps only aussies have the taste sophistication to truly enjoy a classic. You can knock Foster's, you can knock Holden's, you can even claim that kangaroos aren't pests....But leave the Vegemite alone!

Marmite indeed......

David

Old 05-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #6
Rear Admiral

Quote:
But leave the Vegemite alone!
No Problem – Done Deal!

My first mate and I each acquired identical small jars of Vegemite, as gifts from separate friends in Oz. Well, we thought they were our friends, until I tried some on toast; (with a very open mind, knowing what it was, knowing how many people in Oz just love it, and most in the US that have tried it do not). Later I tried it again.... Now we just have twin jars on display, as a curiosity, a conversation piece, and as a reminder of our friends from down under, and "We just leave it alone".

They are still very good friends, and we know their intentions were well meant, and they must have had a most difficult time parting with their much desired treat, national food, and cultural icon. We are of the opinion, that if Vegemite should catch on in other parts of the world, it could cause a shortage and drive up prices. So as not to add to the problem, "We just leave it alone".

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Admiral

Well said Jeff,

I think the difference is, that aussies are fed Vegemite from the time they are able to open their mouths. Consequently we become used to the taste and (this is where the rest of the world says we are odd) we come to enjoy it. It is far better for you than sugar filled spreads, is full of vitamins and minerals and it also means that an aussie abroad will always have something to eat....No one else will touch it!

Cheers

Old 05-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
Admiral

As a former colonial ( are you ever 'former" ?)

I have a great affinity with colonial Australians - what is so appealing about them is this strange addiction to vitamin B, an addiction which pursued in the hope that it can replace that lost due to the imbibing of watered down beer. An artful marketeer way back suggested that a product called Vegemite would supply all that Vit B lost - ever since, the ultra sensitive Aussie has defended the addiction - but I suppose thats what makes them so appealing - their sensitivity.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
Admiral

Stop it Dickie, you'll make me cry. :icon_boohoo1:

Old 05-27-2007, 10:09 PM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Stop it Dickie, you'll make me cry. :icon_boohoo1:
Oh! Davie I'll join you.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #11
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to Robinsvoyage

Quote:

David

I never liked vegemite or marmite when I lived there.. I once traded a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for one to another kid, and regret it. I still feel sore about that.

Incidentally, in Canada I ran across the Cadburry Crunch Bar, which is the same as an Australian Violent Crumble. Delicious.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #12
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to sailman

Two friends of mine from England turned me on to Marmite about 10 years ago. It took a couple years to aquire a taste for it .Now I like it but my family avoids me when I bring out the jar. Why would I want to spend another two years suffering getting to like Vegemite. I do like the B1 issue though and how it gets rid of flying pests. No-see-ems just about bled me to death in Southern Mexico.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
Admiral

Not wanting to relegate Vegemite totally, I am sure there are many uses for it other than scaring mozzies off.......

Packing stern glands for example........anyone got any other suggestions as to the usefulness of this universal embrication?

Normally engaged on Vegemite free cruising but I now keep a small tube on board in case I run into Auzzee along the way. "We're Happy Little Vegemites"

And now I know why Auzzee likes it so much

Aye,

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA 60.photobucket.com/albums/h17/mrc72/Vegemite.jpg[/img]

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 05-29-2007, 10:28 PM   #14
Admiral

And if you want to get your brother into trouble, a small smear of vegemite makes very convincing 'skiddies'.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:22 PM   #15
Admiral

Quote:
And if you want to get your brother into trouble, a small smear of vegemite makes very convincing 'skiddies'.
Would work well on a bossy elder sister !!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #16
Ensign

Oh my, vegemite!

I was visiting a very good and dear friend in Freo last year. Sitting on the table was a small jar of vegemite. I decided I needed to expand my horizons and at least dab a finger in and taste the aromatic goo. My "chum" (that would be "friend" in the U.S. but as I learned, in Oz that's "dogfood") ... anyway, my "chum" just sat there and grinned at me. I should have known that something wasn't quite right. She's originally from the U.S., but has been a permanent fixture in WA for about 25 years now. Anyway, as I was saying, I dipped my finger into the jar, and stuck it in my mouth ... not a bad, nutty, slightly cocoa/bitter-chocolate kind of flavor ... but for a moment only. Oh my my ... the aftertaste just about ruined the rest of the day. It even wrapped itself up, into, and around my smelling unit! I tried everything to make it go away ... soda, tea, water, beer ... lots of beer ... (beer is really good in Oz!) ... and then some more beer ... but all to no avail. That taste just sat there, clinging to my tastebuds, waiting for eternity to pass. Which of course, it did, in due time ... like the next day. Vegemite may be a healthful, tasty (to the Aussies) treat ... but as they say, it is truly an acquired taste. But hey, at least I gave it a fair go!

Phil
Old 06-30-2007, 10:37 PM   #17
Admiral

SSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHH!

We don't need to advertise to the world that feeding visitors Vegemite, is just our cute Aussie way of turning Yanks into drunkards.

The Vegemite Kid.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #18
Rear Admiral

In my earlier post, I related the story of our friends from Oz sending us Vegemite. Now our new neighbors from the UK {Wales} brought over some Marmite, we have yet to try. He, David despises it, spitting and sputtering in disgust Hates it, while his wife Iona loves it. Her advice is on bread or toast with a slice of wonderful cheese. I'll give it a try, in every combination.

I am mustering the courage to attempt a side by side taste test. I am adventurous, brave indeed; just waiting for a day, when I have two days afterwards for recovery, case I turn green or something.

Report to follow......{provided I live, and retain some mental capacaity}.....

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 AM   #19
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Not wanting to relegate Vegemite totally, I am sure there are many uses for it other than scaring mozzies off.......
http://gallerytalk.typepad.com/talk/2007/0...ueen_in_ve.html

No greater honour could be bestowed by an Australian artist than to render one's portrait in Vegemite!

Mark
Old 07-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Here's a vegemite story.

The (Australian) company that ran the marketing campaign for vegemite -- not the company that makes the stuff, but their advertising agency basically -- opened a new office around the San Francisco bay area. They sent out hundreds of these leaflets to companies that they saw as potential clients. Attached to each leaflet was a small sample of vegemite. The leaflet said:

"If we can make 15 million people eat this stuff, imagine what we can do for your product!".