Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > Ship's Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

I will start this thread by asking for suggestions of what sailing/cruising/technical books you find most useful to have on board.

This is NOT an exercise to promote booksellers or publishers but rather to assist us all to build up a good "ship's library".

We will build a single "sticky" thread that will contain all suggestions for easy reference.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
Admiral

Without a doubt, the most useful book I have, appart from my navigational tables and other publications, is Nigel Calders, Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual. Don't leave home without it!

I also carry a fantastic little German book called Das Yachtsegel which is a useful reference work concerning sails and sailmaking.

I also always carry Slocum's Sailing Alone Arround the World. Not reallly a technical book as such but one which I find essential. It restores the mental balance when the going gets tough.

Otherwise my fore cabin shelf is packed with all manner of paperbacks - everyting drom Charles Dickens to Colin Dexter. Reading is a great joy to me when afloat and, unless done at night, does not drain the batteries.

A prayer book is useful in case of burrial at sea - singlehanders should note that this is superfluous in their case.

Aye,

Stephen

yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Here is a list to start building on.

For detailed descriptions of books use the Amazon.com search box above - enter (or copy/paste) the book's name.

Also, for a list of cruising books visit HERE.

Chapmon Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling by Chapman

Annapolis Book of Seamanship, The

Boatowners Mechanical & Electrical Manual by Calder

Cruising Essentials by Jimmy Cornell

Heavy Weather Sailing by Adlard Coles

How to Sail around the World by Hal Roth

Voyager's Handbook, The: The Essential Guide to Blue Water Cruising by Beth A. Leonard

Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual by Don Casey

Complete Rigger's Apprentice, The by Brian Toss

Complete Sailing Manual by Steve Sleight

Cruising Under Sail by Eric Hiscock

Dan Spurr's Boatbook - Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat

Handbook of Knots, The by Des Pawson

The Pacific Crossing Guide by Royal Cruising Association

Singlehanded Sailing: The Experiences and Techniques of the Lone Voyagers by Richard Henderson

World Cruising Routes by Jimmy Cornell

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:57 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Most sail training site will list books for their courses. I would suggest that the books be rated from novice to advance. A bad read for a novice is - Heavy Weather Sailing by Adlard Coles, However, Tropical America Cruising would be better. Otherwise one could always go to a marine book store and look at their books.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
Rear Admiral

Boaters Pocket Reference {Your Comprehensive Resource For Boats and Boating}

By Thomas McEwan

ISBN 0-9774052-0-6

766 pages - but fits in your back pocket or shirt pocket.

ISBN 978-0-9774052-0-6, Second printing,

800 pages, 435 illustrations, 94 photographs, index,

Anchor Cove Publishing, $14.95 - USD

www.anchorcovepublishing.com

A very handy reference. If I lost my copy, I would replace it pronto.

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

More delving into recesses which have not been explored for many moons has led me to one of my favourite books. It is a volume containing two separate works (volume 1 & 2) by Ferenc Mate. Entitled "The Finely Fitted Yacht', this well written and often humourous book, details "Over 200 small boat projects to enhance the seaworthiness, safety, beauty and comfort of your boat".

From making your own baggywrinkles, to mast steps, cutlery drawers and projects specific to every cabin and every exterior part of your boat, this book has it all.

Of all the boat books I own, I think this is the book I would most regret losing.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:32 AM   #7
Admiral

What about the true 'rubbish' books though?

I recently purchased a book which had been recommended, in a verbose book review, by the Editor of a major American cruising magazine. Expecting the Editor to be a man of truth and character, I bought a book which was described variously as 'great', 'amusing', 'with unexpected twists and turns in the plot' etc. etc. etc.

I ordered the book through the recommended international agency and when I commenced reading it, I could not believe how dull, boring, totally predictable, bland and without plot or direction this turgid garbage proved to be.

It was poorly written, ridiculously padded tripe of the 'we went here, then we went there, then we did this, then we did that' genre that I am sure by now will be on the 50cent pile at most crappy booksellers.

What a surprise to find that the authoress was a long time contributor to the same magazine and I suspect the Editor either did not read the publication, or else he deliberately set out to deceive his readership.

If you want to know the name of the mag and the absolute blasted junk that I paid $30 for, please send me a PM and I shall furnish the details.

David.

PS To send a PM, click on my name above the photo in the LH margin, then when you get to my details, click on 'send a message'.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
Ensign

The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South aka the Thornless Path to Windward. Got me from St. Johns to Bahamas although it is specifically written for the other way. Unlike the Bahamas Guidebook West Marine , Bruce Van Sant provides accurate GPS points. Without it, I would have relied on the guidebook and been of the rocks.

Lew
Old 08-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

The Sushi Cook Book: A Step-by-step Guide

by Katsuji Yamamoto (Author), Roger Hicks (Author), Katsuji Yamamoto (Author)

"Ken Schultz's Field Guide to Saltwater Fish" This book is great for recognizing those fish you've never caught before, color photos and evaluation of edibility.

Ken Schultz; Paperback; $12.21
Old 08-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
It was poorly written, ridiculously padded tripe of the 'we went here, then we went there, then we did this, then we did that' genre that I am sure by now will be on the 50cent pile at most crappy booksellers.
So I take it you didn't like the book
Old 08-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #11
Admiral

That's correct Ken, I tried to convey the message in as subtle a manner as I could manage, given the literary garbage pile which I had been conned into buying.

I love good books on cruising and have amassed quite an impressive library. However, I do get a bit miffed when yet another marginally articulate cruising companion writes in that style, then thinks the world will just love the movie when Hollywood discovers the story.

A comprehensive log does not a great tale make!

Still seething.....

David

Old 02-20-2008, 02:33 AM   #12
Ensign

I'm always looking for new books, here in Aus there are many good (ie cheap) secondhand bookstores and libraries sell off their old books too. I recently purchased for $2 "Songs of the Sirens" by Ernest K Gann 1968 SBN 340 10844 4 - which I have enjoyed immensley........... "the Mike was now the number-two vessel of the Western Ocean Fishing Company, a firm whose assets consisted almost entirely of stationery which we had ordered in a moment of grandiose planning. How it might increase our catch of fish remained forever a mystery" and describing the Mike ....... "and a flying bridge atop her wheelhouse which gave us a heady feeling of importance."

Drake by Ernle Bradford 1965 is currently occupying my time

If you like Fantasy fiction Robin Hobb 'The Liveship Traders' (Trilogy) is excellent. Wonderful ideas and superb descriptions. How about......... "Many, of course, will rant and rave against the garment fate has woven for them, but they pick it up and don it all the same, and most wear it until the end of their days. You...you would rather go naked into the storm" Superb ... the idea of discarding your destiny as if a garment and going unprotected into the future. Or maybe you can see a different meaning?

or: "We were speaking of people living their dreams, and I said that few do, and even fewer enjoy the experience" Obvious or profound?

or: "For a time, silence blew by with the wind" so much better than 'nothing happened'

Robin Hobb is quite widely read and her books are in most mainstream bookshops new and secondhand.

For a more lifelike perspective try Hulya Leigh. 'Once upon a boat' a true story of happiness and disaster.

Adlard Coles and Slocum are excellent of course.

The trouble with good books is that as you start to enjoy them you realise they must finish. A bit like voyaging really.

Jeges Nuttall
Old 10-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #13
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
I will start this thread by asking for suggestions of what sailing/cruising/technical books you find most useful to have on board.

This is NOT an exercise to promote booksellers or publishers but rather to assist us all to build up a good "ship's library".

We will build a single "sticky" thread that will contain all suggestions for easy reference.

Having a library list of all possibly useful books isn't as helpful as some guidance from those that have used them and found them especially helpful....how about some 'expert' guidance to narrow the universe!
Old 10-19-2008, 01:29 AM   #14
Admiral

Hi Jimm,

For Australians : Alan Lucas's guides invaluable - for others his works on cruising, boats, and equipment are standards for their time.

For DC voltage and systems: Edgar J. Beyn's 12 Volt Doctor's Practical Handbookand his other books on the Boat's Electric System.

Propeller Handbook : David Gerr's The Complete Reference for Choosing, Installing, and Understanding Boat Propellers.

The Sailing Dictionary : Joachim Schult (Author), Barbara Webb (Translator)

Marine Diesel Engines : Nigel Calder's book one of the best-illustrated engine books ever, Calder explains basic concepts in a thoroughly enjoyable way.

World Cruising Routes : Jimmy Cornell's works on routes for cruising, great for the circumnavigator.

Weather Predicting Simplified: Michael Carr's book on how to read weather charts and satellite images.

The Complete Rigger's Apprentice: Brion Toss's tools and techniques for modern and traditional rigging.

Is that a start?

Tags
books

« - | "Easy Reading" »