Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > Cruiser's Market
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
Ensign

Default AIS wanted in Australia

Looking for a used AIS sap, leaving on long cruise early May

Old 04-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

Hey Andyaye,

Don't bother trying to track down a second hand AIS. You can purchase a Standard Horizon DCS enabled VHF complete with integrated AIS (using your existing VHF antenna) for around $31o AU brand new. If you then attach a small multiplexer to that ($60) you will be able to also bring up all the AIS info and tracking on both a Raymarine or a Garmin Radar/chartplotter.

It's one hell of a lot cheaper than a stand alone AIS that will need its own antenna and the bonus is you get to upgrade your VHF to a DSC calling unit as well. We've done this on our last two yachts.

Fair winds,

Mico/Australis

Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Ensign

Default Ais

Can you tell me where to buy this please?
I need to do an rs232 interface to my pc nav program
I don't use chart plotters.
Thanks for your help
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Hi,

I'm assuming you are in Oz at the moment then. You can either google standard horizon and find a distributor close by or go to Whitworths and buy one through them. I think most chandlery stores will be able to order one for you if you don't go direct.
The AIS display is a bit on the small side but it gives you all the information you need including a nifty button entitled 'CALL'. If you press that, a phone will ring on the other ships bridge. It's a fantastic way to speak direct to the skipper of the other vessel. Usually if you just get on the VHF and call you will not be responded to but if you press that - they will answer. We did that in white out conditions in the midst of a huge storm off Papua New Guinea when we got an AIS alarm. The skipper answered and then thanked us for informing him we were on a collision course as he could not pick us up on radar. Between us both, we were able to work out who would do what to ensure safety of both vessels. Mind you they were a huge cargo ship and we would have barely scratched their paintwork!

As a side note, Singapore have now introduced a maritime law that all vessels (commercial and recreational) carry the ability to both send and receive AIS. Being up here in Borneo and planning on heading across that way next year, we may have to bite the bullet and get a dedicated AIS transponder

Fair winds,

Mico/Australis
Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
Rear Admiral

Here is an image and a youtube link:

Standard Horizon Matrix AIS+ GX2150 VHF Radio - YouTube
Old 04-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Rear Admiral

Standard Horizon GX2150
Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Where do you get an AIS capable multiplexer for $60?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Rear Admiral

oops - that should have been $160 - I'll dig through my receipts and post the contact but it comes out of New Zealand. It also helps having an electronics mate who refuses to believe the PR put out by the main marine suppliers that you have to use their system entirely.

For instance, up in Borneo we now have a Raymarine AIS talking to a Garmin Radar/chart plotter which in turn talks to a Raymarine depth sounder display talking to a 15 year old Silva depth transducer all integrated with a new raymarine autohelm and Tac Tic wind wifi display unit. It can be done - you just need to find someone who refuses to accept the word 'can't'.

Tony, our electronics and mechanical wiz in Kota Kinabalu is going to have serious difficulties should he ever decide to leave Borneo as all the rest of the marina boats have agreed to remove his prop during the night and secure his keel to the bottom of the marina!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Ensign

Matrix sounds good, but Whitworth doesn't stock.. would like to get a transponder but price is a bit high
Old 04-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #10
Nicholson

Home Port: Grand Rapids
Vessel Name: ROXY

I gave up trying to make all this stuff work and bought the stand-alone Watchmate 850 from NZ. it does anchor watch too, it is insanely simple to use; uses 3 watts; doesn't care what power you use (12-30). You can share the VHS antenna if that's a problem. I recommend the add on GPS unless the current version has a higher gain than the internal mine has.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #11
Muscle Rev Xtreme

Home Port: delhi
Vessel Name: Anil kumar

The image is not just showing a clear review of it i am still wondering of to get the clear overview

Tags
australia