Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > Cruiser's Market
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Blountstown
Default Sailboat Wanted

Hello I am Disabled and on low income! And Ive always wanted and dreamed to have my own sailboat! But I cant afford nor can I get a loan to buy a 38 to 40 ft sailboat! So I need help! I am Looking for someone that could donate one or if they know of one for free! let me know please! thanks

Old 06-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hi there,

You might consider setting your sights a little smaller to fit your budget. There are numerous folks sailing and cruising on mid-20 ft vessels, quite happily. Smaller boats have smaller gear that is easier to handle and depending on your disability that can be very helpful. Smaller gear means much less money to fix it when it eventually breaks.

Cruisers are almost all on fixed incomes and small budgets. When they are not disabled, they also don't have a disability pension, social security disability, or similar disability benefits so their budget is even tighter than yours may be. Given that, start small, ask questions here about what works for other cruisers on a budget.

Do beware of free boats as they're often in such bad shape that they'll cost you more to make seaworthy than if you just brought together enough money to buy one in decent shape.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Yea true if i was going by myself!

But I am going to be sailing with 2 other people! plus it has to have the center cockpit with the steering wheel thingy! so the smallest we could go is a 30 ft that is a maybe it depends on the layout! we would need at least 2 V berth cabins!
Old 06-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bclord View Post
But I am going to be sailing with 2 other people! plus it has to have the center cockpit with the steering wheel thingy! so the smallest we could go is a 30 ft that is a maybe it depends on the layout! we would need at least 2 V berth cabins!

There are many people who have sailed together on quite small boats. Three is a bit of a crowd on a 26' Contessa for sure, but there have been families cruising on 28' and 30' boats. In particular a family of 5 circumnavigated aboard a Rawson 30, I know of 3 adults who sailed from SoCal to the South Pacific in a coastal cruiser Catalina 27. I would not have done it in that particular boat but they did so. Where do you plan to sail to? Where are you now?

Perhaps you can tells us a bit more about your own previous sailing experiences and what brings you to wanting a boat.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #5
Ensign

Well I am located near Panama City Florida and I have sailed a snark boat! but other than that I dont really have any other sailing experience yet! But when I was a child my parents took me sailing on a small sailboat with them almost every weekend during the summers and I loved it! Plus I enjoy the outdoors and love the water! I grew up going to the beach and swimming in the pool! I guess im a human fish! lol and I have done a lot of research on sailing abroad and really like the lifestyle! So I want to live abroad and I want to start by traveling thru keys to the virgin island! I have been looking at the 30 ft sailboats and think I could go to that size! I really like the pearson, hunter and morgan sailboats!
Old 06-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I wish you luck in your quest, but it is an absolute truism that sailing boats are generally worth what you pay for them.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:33 AM   #7
Ensign

Yea I know it would be cool if I could get a brand new 38 ft hunter sailboat for free! lol but I know that would never happen! It would take a whole lot of pure luck! So Ill settle for a sailboat with at least a good hull and deck and stuff like that! The interior,motor, hoses and sails are no biggie! Because Ill slowly fix it up as I can!
Old 06-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Richmond
Vessel Name: No Regrets

Check with the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in Maryland.They have more than 200 boats a year donated to them, including new boats in the $100,000 range. They sell them cheap to expensive. I was just up there and some of the boats I looked at ranged from $750 to $50,000. Many were fixer uppers and in bad shape internally, but solid hulls and decks. Post on Craigslist, and check out "free boat" on Craigslist as well. There are several websites (paid memberships of $19.95 and up of course for the year) that list free boats. There are some good deals out there, but the folks here are right, you get what you pay for. Consider selling everything you have to raise the money you need. Spend at least $10,000. Hold a fundraiser etc. etc. and in the end, sell your car if you have one. That should net you some money. And consider a loan. You're going to need slip fees, haul outs, painting, insurance, repairs, fuel costs. Do your research and set some goals. It's possible. I'm doing the same thing - looking for an affordable, but in good shape boat. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:46 AM   #9
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

That link should be Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels, Maryland

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail