Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #21
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Living aboard in Australia can be a bit of a hit and miss kind of thing depending on where you are ... Sure each state has its rules but how they are applied or to what degree they are applied seems to depend on the actual location.

In NSW its either 3 days on and 3 days off ... or 30 days on and 30 days off, thats in most harbours but its pretty easy to get away with living on your yacht.

On the Gold Coast and Broadwater there are so many nice anchorages that its easy to move from one to another and not have any problems. The Great Sandy Straights are similar behind Fraser island. The Whitsundays is cool and no probs. Hinchenbrook Passage is also not a problem.

In Queensland, the further north you go the more relaxed it gets. There are quite a few live a boards in Cairns and Port Douglas.

I have been asked in a couple of places down south to move along as the marine authorities felt I had overstayed my welcome as a live aboard. Tweed heads is a little like that but I stayed there for several months.

Lexx

Old 07-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #22
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Melbourne - forget it. There is only one marina in Port Philip that allows live-aboards, and it's in Geelong (a satellite city to Melbourne). There used to be a few old guys living in yachts close to the Melbourne CBD but they were moved out when the docklands project was being developed.

Sydney - NSW Maritime official rules for Sydney Harbour are 21 days per year on swing moorings although nothing stops the owner from cruising about, dropping anchor and staying there a few days. I don't have data on marinas, too expensive for me to consider.

I agree with Lexx that the further north you go the more relaxed the rules seem to become.

In most cases you can get away with a few days at a time, but since all yachts are regarded as secondary accommodation - i.e. authorities have no concept of cruising as a lifestyle - you should expect to be hassled on a regular basis. I believe that overseas visitors would have a better chance since they have a firmer basis upon which to convince authorities that they have no alternative.

The main issue is the lack of facilities. Even if you have an EPA approved black water tank (and probably grey water tank soon enough) the pump-out stations are few and far between and generally privately owned by marina operators. Tying up at someone's private jetty to go shopping would also cause havoc to regular users. Add to this the litigious nature of the society and requirement for $10m insurance just to stay in most marinas and the overall picture starts to look bleak in populated areas.

There are always ways to skirt the rules though. Keep your head down, don't make a lot of noise after hours, and move around on a regular basis. Generally the maritime authorities don't go looking for trouble, you really have to be asking for it. Annoying the locals with loud music, nakedness or effluent is the best way to attract attention.

Rob

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #23
Capt'n

Maybe its the 'lack' of enforcing the rules why I like Port Douglas so much. We are supposed to have black water holding tanks but with the lack of pump out facilities no one enforces that. Here in Dickson Inlet there are probably 20 live aboard yachts with 40 to 50 people on anchor or Pile Berths and loads more living aboard in our two marina's.

The authorities don't bother us, the marine patrol only comes up about once a month from Cairns for 2 or 3 days as we are reasonably well behaved and they have no reason to bother us. The less on water problems there are, the less the authorities flex their muscles.

I can think of lots of worse places to be based out of, the yachties are in the main really good people here. Friendly, outgoing, ready to lend a hand. The yacht club is fantastic, formal attire is considered thongs, (flip flops for non aussies). Good bar prices for sundowners and great food in an idealic location. Good cruising grounds, good fishing and sub tropical climate.

Now we just got to keep it quiet so we don't get too popular ... laughs.

Lexx
Old 07-05-2012, 03:58 AM   #24
Admiral

Hi Lexx,

I hear from some friends moored off Cairns that life is pretty good there as well. Dayyum, methinks this might be the area to head for when I finally get mobile.

I suppose work is thin on the ground, so I'll have to find a means of support. BTW, how do you establish an internet connection?

Rob
p.s. Love the sig, I'm a big fan of Buckaroo Banzai.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #25
Capt'n

Hi Rob,

Not to try and tempt you too much buttt .... we have Low Isle just 8 miles from Port Douglas, a great place to spend a day, BBQing,swimming and snorkelling ... Snapper Island is just 12 miles ... good fishing and snorkelling. Lots of near by reefs to enjoy as well. Then there is Hope Island just 40 miles to the north and Fitzroy Island just under 40 miles to the south. Both great for 3 day weekends or mid weeks escapes. Cooktown just 63 miles to the north for something different and Lizard island is always popular as well.

Does that make you just wanna up and come here ... grinzzzz.

I don't know what sort of work you do but there is always something available in Cairns ... Port Douglas is mostly hospitality with a smattering of other jobs coming up now and then. I am biased but Port Douglas kills Cairns hands down for lifestyle, especially yachting wise.

I tend to be a bit of a boat bum and love a relaxed lifestyle working when I have to. I generally do odd jobs kinda thing, working on other peoples boats for the most part but strictly on a part time basis.

I use telstra 3G prepaid internet through a wifi dongle. Pretty good coverage for the most part and reasonable cost wise.

Hope this helps,

Lexx
Old 09-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #26
Lieutenant

So is there NO other marinas with liveaboards in all of Port Phillip? What about cruisers who are passing through AU and want to visit Melbourne for a few months? Is it like here where there is an official "no liveaboard" rule but cruisers stay for a few weeks to several months? Or, as long as you provide a residence address you can stay on your boat as much as you want?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #27
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I can only definitely answer for a few marinas on the east and north coasts. Most marinas will allow cruising boats to stay in their marinas as long as there is no intention to set up a permanent camp.

Most marinas where I have stayed use the 'no liveaboards' rule as their get-out-of-jail-free card. If you upset the authorities with noise, flapping laundry, power tools, rebuilding your outboard on the dockside and similar anti social pursuits, they can cite the rule and you must go.

If you are quiet and generally do not bring attention to yourself, they seem to be far more liberal. Pay your fees in advance and keep your head down...and make friends with the bloke in the office, and you might be lucky enough to stay for an extended period.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #28
Admiral

HandyBilly: What he said. ----^

There are a few newer marinas right in the heart of Melbourne that I haven't checked, but a thorough survey done 12 months ago says "No" to permanent live-aboards in Port Phillip, except for the one in Geelong. There are a few places in Westernport but even those are being crunched by the local councils.

The city marinas that allow it are geared up for superyachts in the 90+ ft class, which is where the money is. I'm from Melbourne and I find the situation ridiculous, but that's the way it is.

If I were to sail in there, I'd probably anchor off Mordialloc pier and use the dinghy to get ashore. There's a nice little boating community based in the creek and unlike most parts of the bay it isn't totally focused on day sailing and racing. Lots of old timber fishing boats and the boat builder there (Pompei) has basic stuff like paint and bulk rope. Pompei Boat builders Mordialloc

The pier is public and mooring boats alongside is allowed, so you could tie up a dinghy halfway along near the shelter shed and go shopping at the local supermarket or strip shopping centre, which is within 1km. I've seen a 100' motor boat pick up a crowd of people from there to go day cruising, so it's deep enough to bring the yacht alongside if you need to load anything large or heavy.

In warmer weather there are kids diving off the pier (illegally, I might add) but your stuff should be safe during daylight hours as long as you don't take any silly risks like parking it on the beach without a lock attached. There is a haulout facility available in the creek but I'd only use it in a dire emergency; access is difficult and they always seem to be busy.

Fishing is also pretty good with snapper, bay trout (Australian salmon), mullet, garfish, banjo sharks, gummy shark - and the occasional bream and trevally - being caught. You'll need a state fishing licence, which is available on the internet or from the bait shop at the start of the pier. I think it costs about $25/year. An old Greek bloke at the end of the pier called Harry should be able to tell you what to use for bait. :-)

Public toilets (daytime hours) and free electric BBQs are on the shoreline. Cold water showers also available somewhere for bathers, I've never used them so can't tell you where they are.

Rob