Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-21-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50
Cool

Lori and I are planning our multi-year circumnavigation starting (hopefully) next year October. Last night we thought it would be interesting to take jobs in Australia or New Zealand for a year or two just to extend our travels.

So, we were wondering if anyone from down under could give us some insight into the job market and how difficult it would be to find a live aboard slip somewhere along the Eastern Coast.

Auzzie...are you out there? Any advice for a couple of Septics?

Old 06-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Trim,

Go to http://seek.com.au and register free of charge to receive weekly updates of available jobs within Oz and NZ. You can add specific criteria so that you will receive notification of only those positions which suit your qualifications. There is another similar site, though not quite as large, 'careerone'.

Finding marinas along the east coast which permit liveaboards is not difficult as most seaside towns and cities are well equipped. Generally, prices will vary but you should have no trouble finding good marina berths at around AU$150-175 per week all found. In some cases where longer terms (three months) are involved, it should be possible to find some marinas where you can tie up for considerably less.

Of course all Seppo's are welcome, but a little cultural advice...

1) Gridiron is stupid, rugby league and AFL are brilliant

2) Baseball is stupid, cricket is king.

3) Dennis who?...Connor?....Nup, don't know the name!

4) Bloody oath...Vegemite is my favourite snack at home in the US.

5) Practice this sentence..."Fair dinkum?...Geez, basketball is a bloke's game in America".

Always happy to help

Cheers David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:49 AM   #3
Admiral

I've always thought Aussy rules rugby was the best, manliest, game ever invented...it reminds me of "Smear the Qu@@r" which we played as kids.

I don’t really consider Cricket or Baseball sports since you can play both while taking a nap.

So, what I’m hearing is that most marinas in Oz allow liveaboards…is that correct?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:20 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Hi Trim,

Job market it pretty good, as unemployment is at record lows and there are labour shortages in some industries.

Easiest to get work in Capital cities or (I guess) mining boom areas (Central Queensland, Perth + NW Western Australia). employment in regional towns may be a bit harder.

About the legality of work, check out

http://www.immigration.gov.au/immigration.htm

There are 3 broad options:

1. Get a business to sponsor you as a professional or skilled worker;

2. The Working Holiday Programmes for people between 18 and 30 to holiday in Australia and to supplement their travel funds through incidental employment.

3. Work for cash or with phony tax file number etc without worrying too much about the legality. The worst that could happen is that you cannot claim back the income tax that the employer deducts, or that you are asked to leave the country.

cheers

Rob
Old 06-21-2007, 01:34 AM   #5
Admiral

Hmmm....this is very interesting! Seems that I could get a job in OZ pretty quick based on the number of openings in my field that I found.

The big question remains about the liveaboard in the marinas. In the US, getting a liveaboard slip is nearly impossible. Also, what are the best cities to look for work near if you want to liveabaord your boat?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:40 AM   #6
Admiral

Hi Trim,

Yes, the jobs market is extremely buoyant at the moment. Obtaining a permit to work can be a bit of a problem, but searching Australian Government sites will provide answers to your questions. I would strongly advise against working with a false Tax File Number*. Obviously it is illegal, can land you in jail or see the imposition of a hefty fine and, it can implicate your employer.

Duckie's suggestion that the worst that may happen is you being asked to leave the country, may be pertinent to penniless backpackers, but in your case you have a major and valuable investment at the end of the dock, which you do not want to put at risk, and I expect your good reputation has a high degree of personal value.

Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne are obvious jobs pools and all have marinas which will accept liveaboards. In my experience, the big public marinas will allow liveaboards, the boutique marinas within communities will not.

Cheers

David.

*Cruiser Log will not support illegal, unethical or immoral activity irrespective of its nature or of the country in which it is proposed.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:24 AM   #7
Admiral

David,

Where do you keep you vessel? Could you provide some names of marinas that I could investigate prior to our departure as to liveaboard slip availability or some web link with Oz marina contacts?

At this point I'm pretty darn sure we will stop over in Oz for a couple of years if possible. Maybe we could drop by for a beer???

Next week we move into our 1 bedroom apartment for 12 months while we finish the major interior reworks on Trim…not many really…just stuff that would be a problem if we lived aboard.

Cheers,

Ken
Old 06-21-2007, 03:47 AM   #8
Admiral

Never having tried to work while abroad, I am relating what has been told to me by others.

If you wish to work legally, you will need a work permit, or work visa/resident visa. Cruising friend who was offered a job when he arrived in Oz had to leave the country to apply for and obtain the visa. That was standard, but I do not know if there are any exceptions to that rule, or if that rule has been changed.

I am most familiar with Brisbane. There are liveaboard marinas in many places. One that was quite popular was Manly, where there are several marinas behind the breakwater. The train station is within walking distance, and it takes you to Brisbane in 1/2 hour, 45 minutes, approx. Several Aussie friends lived on their boats in Manly and commuted by train to Brisbane.

Sydney Harbor is huge, and Sydney is the largest city in Oz.

Australia is a civilized country. Not all are. Another cruising friend worked illegally in one of the Caribbean islands, where hiring cruisers was quite popular. Every so often the authorities would check work visas/permits, and arrest any that were illegals. The jail wasn't something you would want to be in - a fire hose washed prisoners and cell in one fell swoop, for example, and the local chinese restaurant provided food for the prisoners at a cost to the government of $1.00 US per day! I was told in Venezuela by a Venezuelan that the goverment did not feel that it was necessary to feed their prisoners. Their families brought food for their unfortunate relative and enough food to be shared with everyone in the cell.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:34 AM   #9
Admiral

I found this helpful site, but still looking for a list of Australian Marinas...

http://www.superyachtbase.com/Information/customs.htm
Old 06-21-2007, 05:01 AM   #10
Admiral

Hi Trim,

The peak body for marinas Australia wide is MIAA whose website is http://www.marinas.net.au/ On the RHS of the page there is a DIRECTORY heading; the drop down menu contains a comprehensive listing of marinas across the country.

My boat is in Cullen Bay Marina in Darwin, which is the capital city of the Northern Territory. Cruisers generally would arrive from the Pacific along the east coast and eventually make their way to the north coast and Darwin, before setting off northward through Indonesia to Thailand, or westward across the Indian Ocean.

Jeanne's suggestion of Manly in Brisbane is excellent. Brisbane being a beautiful sub tropical city with a good rail network and a friendly population.

Cheers

David.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:59 AM   #11
Admiral

Super link....Thanks Dave!

I'll let ya know what we find.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #12
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

You can probably get a 12 month visa. BUT, be careful if/when you leave the country to apply for another visa or extension.

Our own experience was that when we flew home to apply for an extension they refused our application. It should be noted that we had already had a 3 month multiple entry visa and a 12 month visa. We intended to circumnavigate Australia.

They said that we had already had enough visas and they "questioned our true intent". They did suggest that we apply for a retirement visa. They would not even give us a short visa to return to sort out our assets (boat, car, clothing, etc.) and suggested we employ an agent to dispose of same and/or move them out. They obviously did not need our tourist Dollar.

We loved the country, loved the people, loved the lifestyle but, will NEVER return there.

This experience prompted us to finally retire from cruising permanently.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #13
Admiral

Were you employed in Australia when this happened?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Were you employed in Australia when this happened?
No - not at all.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:49 AM   #15
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
Never having tried to work while abroad, I am relating what has been told to me by others.

If you wish to work legally, you will need a work permit, or work visa/resident visa. Cruising friend who was offered a job when he arrived in Oz had to leave the country to apply for and obtain the visa. That was standard, but I do not know if there are any exceptions to that rule, or if that rule has been changed.

I
I understand it is general rule that you have to apply for the work visa from outside Australia.

Like Jeanne, I know of people who have had to fly from Australia to NZ for a week to get the work visa processed then fly back again.

Unfortunately, some politicians like to make mileage by appearing to be tough on "illegal immigrants" . The politican debate has a somewhat racist undertone, with publicity about strong action against Asian migrants and refugees. In fact, the biggest number of people overstaying tourist visas are British.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:56 AM   #16
Admiral

Info from:

http://www.superyachtbase.com/Information/tax.htm

Cruising in Australia

A Cruising Permit will be issued for visiting vessels that do not wish to undertake charter work. This permit will be for an initial period of up to 12 months. Extensions can be applied for and are generally granted. GST tax is payable on all purchases (eg. fuel and other consumables) if under a cruising permit. Superyacht Base Australia can assist with these requirements.

Refit, Repairs and Maintenance

The owners or masters of yachts cruising Australian waters on cruising permits will be able to obtain Goods and Services Tax (GST)-free repairs or refits by presenting their cruising permits to their repairers/refitters. The Australian Taxation Office will not require presentation of documents showing prior arrangement of repairs or refits.

GST-free repairs/refits include any repairs or refits to the yachts which are done during the course of their visits to Australia. Examples of these include:

• repairs necessitated by accidents in Australia; and

• routine maintenance

To be GST free the supply of goods must be provided by the supplier of the refit/repairs to the vessel.

The repairer/refitter can make a GST-free supply of the repair/refit by retaining a copy of the cruising permit. In addition to the cruising permit, the repairer/refitter will retain the financial records ordinarily required for taxation and accounting purposes.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #17
Lieutenant

Hiya Trim,

Did you notice that "engineering manager" is one of the occupations on the Australian skilled migration program?

http://www.immigration.gov.au/skilled/gene...ation/index.htm

I don't know if you come within the under 45 age criteria.

cheers

Duckie
Old 07-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #18
Admiral

Well, I meet the criteria for the next 3 years. Very interesting....I will have to research this a bit deeper.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #19
Ensign

Engineering - is an area in the north west of Western Australia (Pilbara Region, where I am) with the iron ore mining and offshore petroleum / gas industry, that you could walk into a job anytime you want and probably name your price.

A lot of the mining industry jobs are two weeks on / one week off arrangements for fly in fly out workerswith family down south in Perth.

Of course of you were in a marina live aboard - you'd have a week every 3rd one to go explore the area, while still getting paid!

Its a big area - heck you could go gold prospecting with a metal detector to supplement your income on your week off - see the countryside up close and personal and pocket a few nuggets or your trouble. Lotta alluvial Gold about up in the northwest - if you know where to look...and theres a pair of books published with every goldfield ever found in West Aus if you can find a copy (i got a burnt CD for a carton of beer!).

Lots of opportunities if you know where to look - I know of guys from the US who come down here every year to prospect for Gold with metal detectors - they always go home agead of their airfares fuel and food costs - if you know what your doing $1K a week is emiinently achieveable waving one of the new generation 'minelabs' metal detectors about in some of our more productive ground.

Theres a heap of ways to make a quid down here.

Cheers
Old 07-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #20

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I was searching about for info on liveaboards in AU when I found this old thread. Fancy it that here we are 5 years later and our own Trim50 has been out cruising and now has picked up an engineering job in AU. Just as he was talking about

Also--what is is the deal with Liveaboard rules in AU? I've now heard from several sources that some areas don't allow it at all whereas others are quite open to it.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote