Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-03-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban
Thumbs down

"Auzzee" has made direct contact with the correct Australian authorities who have kindly supplied the correct information on the requirements for cruisers.

With thanks.

Link to full details.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Retired Mod

It is rumoured that the "Advance Notice Of Arrival" rules have been relaxed for Australia. Does anyone have confirmation of this.

Anything to do with the new government?

Old 01-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
It is rumoured that the "Advance Notice Of Arrival" rules have been relaxed for Australia. Does anyone have confirmation of this.

Anything to do with the new government?
It would not surprise me. The "new government" is somewhat more "relaxed" than the last government. I'll check up with them directly.

Del
Old 01-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Retired Mod

There is no change on the official website, but rumours abound!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
Admiral

The official position reiterated today the 14th January remains as follows (NO CHANGE) !!!

Here is the actual extract from the regulation issued by Australian Customs from their :-

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4791

Home > information for yachts travelling to Australia - let us know you're coming

Print this page

Information for yachts travelling to australia - let us know you're coming

The Master of a vessel arriving in Australia is required by law to give notice of impending arrival not later than 96 hours before arrival. Penalties may apply for failure to do so.

If the journey, from a place outside Australia, is likely to take less than ninety-six (96) hours then the below sliding scale is used based on the steaming time from the previous foreign port (section 64(5)(cool.gif(i) of the Customs Act- Customs Regulations section 27).

Likely duration of journey

Specified period

72 hours or more but less than 96 hours :- 72 hours

-------------------------------------------------------------

48 hours or more but less than 72 hours :- 48 hours

24 hours or more but less than 48 hours :- 24 hours

Less than 24 hours :- 12 hours

There are several agencies interested in your arrival - principally Customs, Quarantine and Immigration.

96 hours notice may be given by either;

* Sending an email to yachtreport@customs.gov.au:

* Sending a fax to +61 2 6275 6331;

* Phoning the Australian Customs National Communications Centre on +61 3 9244 8973.

You will need to provide the following information

* The name of your craft;

* Your intended first port of arrival;

* Your estimated arrival time;

* Your last four ports;

* The details of people on board including name, date of birth, nationality and passport number;

* Details of any illness or disease recently encountered;

* If you have any animals on board;

* If you have any firearms on board.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggest you keep a copy of email or fax sent to customs

--------------------------------------------------------------------

IGNOR any other information as mere wishful thinking - follow the rules !
Old 02-08-2009, 04:53 AM   #6
Ensign

Some of our customs people are real asses!! Stay away from Bundaberg and Cairns. Mackay and Brisbane are good.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Ensign

Hello

We cleared Australian customs this week, they are not making any allowance for any shortfall in notification / policy.

We made notification at Alitou as per policy

We moved onto a remote location in the Calvidos Chain awaiting weather

Whilst there we attended the opening of a new schoolhouse built by a group of cruising Ausie boats (Cruise Aiders)

One of the volunteers had traveled up on a boat that was going on and needed a lift back to Australia and we were going that way

His passport was in order so we helped out

HOWEVER

Australian customs are currently bringing action against us in the way of a heavy fine ($5000)????

The additional crew was not on the crew list in the notification, we do not have email on board and was in a remote location.

They displayed no intrest in the extra crew and checked him in without problem

He left the boat no questions asked, he was Australian citizen with a correct passport

They interviewed us and are pursuing legal action against us

Be aware of Australian Customs if all the dots are not in the correct place they will prosecute without consideration or commensense
Old 10-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by greexc View Post

Hello

We cleared Australian customs this week, they are not making any allowance for any shortfall in notification / policy.

We made notification at Alitou as per policy

We moved onto a remote location in the Calvidos Chain awaiting weather

Whilst there we attended the opening of a new schoolhouse built by a group of cruising Ausie boats (Cruise Aiders)

One of the volunteers had traveled up on a boat that was going on and needed a lift back to Australia and we were going that way

His passport was in order so we helped out

HOWEVER

Australian customs are currently bringing action against us in the way of a heavy fine ($5000)????

The additional crew was not on the crew list in the notification, we do not have email on board and was in a remote location.

They displayed no intrest in the extra crew and checked him in without problem

He left the boat no questions asked, he was Australian citizen with a correct passport

They interviewed us and are pursuing legal action against us

Be aware of Australian Customs if all the dots are not in the correct place they will prosecute without consideration or commensense
G'day you 'mob'. I'm sure 'we' - all of us - are wishing you well, good-luck & Gawd-speed. Bit like the ant & the elephant - eh. However that said - do not give in - I'm not quite sure just how you 'appeal' this one. It's 0430 in Cairns & I fly out to Darwin in less than 2 hrs. however I'll put my head to work & see if I can help. Good luck & let us know what's happening as it happens. I'm sure someone in here - especially in Aust. will come up with some - valid appeal process. Ciao, james aka "JJ-geri-hat-trick"
Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 AM   #9
Ensign

Hello

Thanks for the reply

Two officers of Australian Customs came to our boat yesterday and delivered a CD with a copy of the interview they made.

Clearly they are proceeding with there process

I asked for information on where the process was at but they informed me that they were unable to give me any information on what was happening.

I was requested to sign for the delivery of the CD

I will be moving south in the coming days and remain apprehensive about the outcome of this event with customs

Does anyone have any experience with anything similar?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Raven View Post

G'day you 'mob'. I'm sure 'we' - all of us - are wishing you well, good-luck & Gawd-speed. Bit like the ant & the elephant - eh. However that said - do not give in - I'm not quite sure just how you 'appeal' this one. It's 0430 in Cairns & I fly out to Darwin in less than 2 hrs. however I'll put my head to work & see if I can help. Good luck & let us know what's happening as it happens. I'm sure someone in here - especially in Aust. will come up with some - valid appeal process. Ciao, james aka "JJ-geri-hat-trick"
Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Rear Admiral

Here in Australia, across all our statutory authorities and regulatory bodies we have seen a significant retreat by front line staff to give comment, answer or inform in clear concrete detail about such issues. This has been bought about largely through the politicisation of the public service that leaves middle managers and ground delivery staff unable to give any comment or advice that might be misinterpreted or given in error. The fall back for them is to simply parrot 'visit our website or read the brochure' Unfortunately that doesn't help as often FAQ's are too generalised to be worth the paper they are written on for us mere publics.

Individual initiative even well meaning and generous from these front line staff is strongly frowned upon by higher management who have an eye firmly fixed upon risk management and the threat of legal comeback should they get it wrong. I stood at the front counter of a major Australian Customs office wanting some advice about crew requirements and import details. Both staff I dealt with refused to answer anything and simply said - please sir - the information is available on our website'.

Having been a senior manager in the Department of Fisheries in a past life, I asked them both 'are either of you familiar with your management act and the legislation that supports it? Surely the questions I am asking we can resolve here and now in your office' Both backed away and simply repeated the 'website easy out'. I left frustrated and angry even though I understood what the 'avoidance of personal responsibility' management culture had produced.

So I sent my questions in by email. All government departments have to answer within a few days under their customer service policy. They answered 4 of the questions - the rest were fobbed off. I then cc'd their response to their regional manager and their Director General with a covering note about their responsibility to answer clearly my simple questions. I got an email the following day - all answered very very clearly.

NEVER EVER take verbal assurances in these matters - get it in writing. Use the system instead of letting it use you.

fair winds,

Mico
Old 03-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Muscle Rev Xtreme

Home Port: delhi
Vessel Name: Anil kumar

i think these all process are much complicated here to enter the australia
Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
Lieutenant

Home Port: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sooke
Send a message via MSN to BJSmith

Coff's Harbor officals are reasonable and sort of friendly. I just got nervous when they put on those blue gloves to do the drug spray test. I made a comment about will they have to do a body cavity search? They do have a sense of humor.

Tags
australia