Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-26-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi all,

I've known of these for a while, but I've only just gotten them confirmed. I've also updated the site, http://www.waituimarinafiji.com/clearance.html, which also has lots of other clearance 'stuff' on it about Fiji.

First, there is now a F$9.00 'meal fee' charged if you clear outside of normal working hours (0800-1300, 1400-1630 M-TTh, 0800-1300, 1400-1600 Friday, exclusive of holidays). Please note that the Customs Officers do not get this money, it goes into the general fund. Please do not be rude to the Officers, they are just 'working stiffs', doing their jobs, with families to feed, trying to get on with life best they can, etc. They do not set policy. THEY only get overtime if they work in excess of 48 hours/week.

Second is only applicable if you have weapons on board. If you wish to check out in a different port than that which you checked in at, you will have to pay for a Police Constable to carry the weapon to you. In a recent case, it would have cost F$750 to transport a yacht's weapons from Savusavu to Lautoka. There is no fee assessed if you clear at the same port you arrived at.

Whether or not you have weapons, you are given three (3) hours to up anchor and be underway from the time you clear the country. If you have weapons, you must coordinate with Customs and the Police to place the weapons on board after you have cleared, and before the three hours are up, otherwise you'll be leaving without them. In the words of the cruiser 'If I'd have known how much of a hassle these were going to be, I'd have left them at home, and now I can't get rid of them, and I'm not going to give them to the Police"

Don't even think about not declaring a weapon here. A cruiser was recently arrested in Denerau for having an undeclared air rifle on board.

I'll be posting this around the internet sailing boards, save Cruiser's Forum, who won't let me post there as being 'commercial' (and who else would know more about this than a local? Go figger!).

If you have any further questions, please feel free to drop me an email.

best,

Michael

Bebi Electronics, Ltd.

Winners of the Fiji Government 2006 Unique Exporter of the Year Award
MichaelHomsany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Admiral

Thanks Michael, as always very useful Local information!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Thanks for the update Michael - most appreciated.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
Ensign

Hi Michael,

Do you need to clear in straight away if only internally cleared out from Lautoka or can you wait? We'll probably be arriving late Friday.

Cheers

Pete

Tags
fiji