Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello,

The french sail forum to which I participate too is very concerned about the existence (or not) of new rules for the Bodrum/Fethié aerea . It looks like the presence of black and grey water tanks could be now controlled . Has anybpdy heard something about this ? .

Thanks

Jacques

Old 02-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Ensign

Hi Jaques, got this from my Capt. late Jan:

SUMMARY OF ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATIONS FOR YACHTS

DUE TO BE IMPLEMENTED IN MUGLA ON 1 MARCH 2010

All boats must have black and grey water tanks, both with deck fittings that enable them to be pumped out. There is to be no discharge into Turkish waters.

The blue card is to be issued by Harbour Masters and marinas after they have checked that both black and grey tanks are fitted and that no water from any sink etc runs into the sea. It will contain details of the yacht and crew.

All discharge must be done by pumping out at one of 30 stations sited strategically in marinas and harbours throughout the region.

The blue card will be digitally updated with the pumped out volume of both grey and black water.

The Coastguard and other enforcement agencies can demand the blue card, read it electronically and see when tanks were last pumped out and how many litres were pumped out. This allows then to check that you are not secret dischargers into the sea.

There are special regulations covering the Göçek area bays, prohibiting the use of anchors. Use of fixed mooring buoys will be compulsory, for a maximum of 11 days (outside marinas). The number of vessels in the area may be restricted. Cooking on deck and ashore is prohibited.

Don't know if this helps, but we now have to re-think an up and coming trip.

Steve

Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Hello Jaques,

I too have altered my plans of sailing to Turkey this Spring. The whole situation is very confused indeed. A member of the Turkish Tourist Board attended the London Boat Show in January and apparently made certain statements which in fact do not agree with other official versions. I have been reading reports from British people living in Turkey aboard their boats and it seems that some are leaving, others are taking a chance and staying in the marinas where they have berths. The rules affect one area of Turkey apparently and some local authorities within that area say they will enforce the laws, while others may not.

There are not nearly enough facilities,( pump out stations) to deal with all the many boats which sail in the area, but if a vessel is boarded by the Maritime Police, Coastguard or whoever else is in authority, and the yacht crew cannot produce the "Blue Card" which records details of pump outs, then I understand heavy fines are possible. I do not pretend to fully understand the situation but for me anyway, I will not take the chance, where some authorities are saying one thing and other authorities seem to take different views. That doesn't help when the Coast Guard stop and fine me.

I think it will be some time before the various official bodies in Turkey finally decide just how the law can operate without the pump out facilities being provided.If I learn any more (not just rumours) I will pass it on, here on the forum. In the meantime I'm bound for Greece in a few weeks instead....Oh! hang on...they're all on strike there I think..
Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks,

For Stevnyk :

After 15 years in Corsica my boat is in Turkey for 3 years and I never had any problem or control. I use to sail 2 or 3 months beetween Turkey and Greece each year, in Srping (april to june) and in late september. I know high sesaon is very different (Meltemi, crowded and very high temperature) and there a lot of rumors about fines at this period . But, in fact

The fact is there is a new regulation (law ?) for the aerea between Bodrum and Fethie and this text is very confused : hopefully, it doesn't say you need 2 tanks but that, for foreign boats, "grey waters" must be connected with the "blak water tank" io order to be pumped out. But the problem is I know no boat with a system like that. It will be be very difficult to intall it on a small boat (37').

For Saxon

Please do not change your project : Turkey is so wonderfull and you have thousands kilometers of coasts without restricting reglementation... Greek islands nearby are spendid too... In spring there are no control...

Jacques
Old 02-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Athene of Lymington

Home Port: Lymington
Vessel Name: Athene of Lymington

I too keep my yacht in Kusadasi and, even if this ill-conceived measure comes into being, there are huge stretches of the Turkish coast from Bodrum north to Gokceada that, whilst not as leafy and attractive as the Bodrum - Fethiye stretch affected by this new rule, are still delightful and much less crowded. The same applies to the stretch from Fethiye round to Antalya.

I suspect that this measure will be heavily modified by the time it takes effect, especially where foreign-flagged yachts are concerned. However, if it proves too onerous, many foreign yachts will simply relocate to marinas in other areas, including Greece.

The most sensible solution would probably be to exclude all foreign-flagged yachts except the largest (say, over 15 metres) and those run as commercial operations, e.g. charter and hotel boats.

Otherwise yotties passing (quickly!) through the Bodrum - Fethiye area will simply have to keep their legs crossed and their bodies cleansed with Wet Ones baby wipes. Perhaps the local Turkish supermarkets will do a roaring trade in Pampers for yacht crews?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailor_diapers.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1258
Old 04-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Latest news on this issue - HERE

Also see Turkey on the Cruising Wiki - HERE for general information.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
Ensign

Thanks for the news... and for the link with the newspaper I did'nt know.

Tags
turkey, water tank