Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Ensign

We have a NZ flag yacht with NZ skipper, under 15 metres. Can anyone confirm whether the time we are liable for tax would be the actual cruising time in the water, and not the time our yacht spends on the hardstand in the winter while we are back in NZ earning the funds to continue sailing the following year. We only expect to be cruising in Greece for 6 weeks, and about the same the following year, (2011)

Hard to get a true understanding, hope someone can help

Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

This is my understanding based on talks with other cruisers who winter their boats in Greece. However, since my boat has a Greek flag I have no direct knowledge.

If you do not get any better information, please let me know and I will make inquiries in the Greek Coast Guard.

Fair winds

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

This is indeed very hard to answer at this moment, as Greece in its very awful financial situation is right now trying to create new financial sources wherever it can.

An Info from November 2009: yachts that stay in greek waters more than 40 days have to pay a special tax if they are over 15 meters (Sailing yachts) Â*or over 10 meters (Motor yachts) long.

The last info I found (german source), dates from beginning of march. It confirms that this tax has to be paid by boats of the above sizes. Boats below these sizes have to check in at the marina or harbour offices and they pay one € per meter. You need the ships papers and the personal ID of the owner.Â*

So, you should be fine as your yacht is under 15 meters.

But... one never knows what greek authorities think about next in their urgent need of money. Will check the net and will let you know as soon as something new comes up.

(On top of that there is still the topic of importing a yacht into the EU... )

Uwe

SY AquariaÂ*

Â*

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaria' date='13 May 2010 - 05:43 AM View Post

This is indeed very hard to answer at this moment, as Greece in its very awful financial situation is right now trying to create new financial sources wherever it can.

An Info from November 2009: yachts that stay in greek waters more than 40 days have to pay a special tax if they are over 15 meters (Sailing yachts) � or over 10 meters (Motor yachts) long.

The last info I found (german source), dates from beginning of march. It confirms that this tax has to be paid by boats of the above sizes. Boats below these sizes have to check in at the marina or harbour offices and they pay one € per meter. You need the ships papers and the personal ID of the owner.�

So, you should be fine as your yacht is under 15 meters.

But... one never knows what greek authorities think about next in their urgent need of money. Will check the net and will let you know as soon as something new comes up.

(On top of that there is still the topic of importing a yacht into the EU... )

Uwe

SY Aquaria�

�
Thank you all for your help. Yes it is definitely a moving target this Greek tax thing. Appreciate your help