Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Help with a passageplan Port St Louis to Tunisia

Hi All

Anyone have any guidance about this route, it'll be my first 7 day journey in my new old boat - what advice is there please?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Ah, I was just on your liferaft post and asked if this is your first passage on the boat. Yup. I see.

I have no experience in the area of interest. JeanneP may have, but I think she's traveling right now so don't know if she'll be around anytime soon here.

You can, of course, check the Cruisers Wiki Tunisia - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki for any country of interest. After your trip, you could help other cruisers by adding to the wiki as well.

Good luck on the passage!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Passage Weather is a great site for wind and wave forecasts. Clickable maps for most of the world. Primarily gives you surface wind direction and speeds, surface pressure and wave height and direction.

The link to the site is ... http://www.passageweather.com/

That should assist you some with the weather.

Lexx
Old 06-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Ensign

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks for helping me, you're right wiki for cruisers is useful, I'll see what I can add of value later on.

I'll use passage weather, windguru and predict wind to preplan the route. Unfortunately the further I am from shore without internet, the older my data becomes of course. I don't have Navtex, all I have is the VHF.

A friend arrived from Greece recently having left with good forecasts and then spending 24hours in a Force 8-9 gale.

I guess the only way to avoid surprises is to stay at home - or am I missing something?

Thanks
J
Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

You are not missing anything sometimes surprises happen and we should be prepared for unpleasant events and happenings. I do with what I can find out at the time of departure 7 day weather forecasts etc and then trust my good judgement.

You can't preplan everything and yes sometimes things go wrong... but the other option of staying home for me is no option at all.

Lexx