Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to Aliisa

We are planning to sail north from ABC's to the north coast of Jamaica and then explore the south coast of Cuba, returning to San Blas / Panama area in June. Any comments based on first-hand knowlege would appreciated. We have never been up there and travel on a 32ft Australian reg. steel sloop (husband and wife).

Cheers,

Lauri G.

Sy Aliisa

Old 02-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Laurie

Nice to see you here again - welcome back!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to Aliisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Laurie

Nice to see you here again - welcome back!
Thanks, mate! I'm very slack with these forums and stuff. Too busy with... hmm... with what?! Writing some travel articles to Finland, I can barely keep our own Aliisa.net up to date. Hope to get some good positive replies, as we're keen to see Cuba and Jamaica...

Lauri
Old 03-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Also see Cuba and Jamaica on the Cruising Wiki - HERE.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
Ensign

I 10 years of cruising, the south coast of Cuba was the best experience we ever had. We departed Florida and did not ant to do the traditional thorny path south to the Caribbean, and because we have extended family in Cuba, we sailed south first. Once in Varadero we decided to sail west to Los Morros and around the Cape. What started as a planned 12 - 15 day transit, ended up taking us 73 days. On the south coast we had not one bad day, (although we lost our steering gear near maria La Gorda) one day where we had to lock the boat or the dinghy and not one day where we had any regrets.

There were bays where from the time of Christopher Colon until that day, there were maybe 2 to 3 hundred boats through. Where do you want me to start. The people, the mangroves, the sailing, the lobster, (as thick as your arm) the history, the culture......? It is an inexpensive proposition to cruise the south coast. I would recommend Calders Guide and the Cuban Charts. They were invaluable. When Calder says to watch for the sticks marking a channel, there are actually sticks marking a channel. At night, after fresh snapper and lobster dinner and a few Sundowners of course, watching for the green flash through a completely clear sky, with not one boat in the bay and not one jet roaring overhead you get the feeling of how cruising should be, and in most cases was many years ago in the Caribbean. If you would like more info, please ask for my email and i will take time to make recommendations.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:31 AM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamar View Post
I 10 years of cruising, the south coast of Cuba was the best experience we ever had. We departed Florida and did not ant to do the traditional thorny path south to the Caribbean, and because we have extended family in Cuba, we sailed south first. Once in Varadero we decided to sail west to Los Morros and around the Cape. What started as a planned 12 - 15 day transit, ended up taking us 73 days. On the south coast we had not one bad day, (although we lost our steering gear near maria La Gorda) one day where we had to lock the boat or the dinghy and not one day where we had any regrets.

There were bays where from the time of Christopher Colon until that day, there were maybe 2 to 3 hundred boats through. Where do you want me to start. The people, the mangroves, the sailing, the lobster, (as thick as your arm) the history, the culture......? It is an inexpensive proposition to cruise the south coast. I would recommend Calders Guide and the Cuban Charts. They were invaluable. When Calder says to watch for the sticks marking a channel, there are actually sticks marking a channel. At night, after fresh snapper and lobster dinner and a few Sundowners of course, watching for the green flash through a completely clear sky, with not one boat in the bay and not one jet roaring overhead you get the feeling of how cruising should be, and in most cases was many years ago in the Caribbean. If you would like more info, please ask for my email and i will take time to make recommendations.
We are heading the same directions and would love to get your email and ask some questions. Thank you! hansentripp47#gmail.com
Old 12-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Bellamar

Sounds wonderful. When were you there and do you know if it is any different, especially regarding the paperwork, now. We hope to visit this spring (Feb to April)

John