Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

The following has been received in an email. Can anyone shed some light on this?

The Law 3790/2009 was implemented in August 2009. The Law imposed two type of taxes to all boats (M/Y over 10m and S/Y over 15m) being in the Greek territory for more than 40 days (modified by another ministerial decision to 60 days).

The first tax is called “extra charge” and applies to all boats covering the above period of 60 days from 01.01.2009 up to 30.04.10. The “extra charge” had to be paid up to 30th April 2010. This is the tax that Greek Authorities are collecting. It is self evident that a boat which comes to Greece today has nothing to do with the “Extra Charge”

The second Tax is called “Special Tax” and applies to all boats (M/Y over 10m and S/Y over 15m) if they remain in Greek territory for a total period of over 60 days in the calendar year. Exceptionally, or the first year of the law’s implementation, the period of 60 days must have been completed between 01.01.2009 and 30.09.2009.

The activation of the “Special Tax” has been postponed by another recent Law, as the Government is working on procedures which will exclude the foreign boaters.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

Awesome! Sounds like that is what we are headed for here in the good old United States of America....we will get to have a VAT tax (killed the marine industry last time they irresponsibly tried this - something about unintended consequences)...and all our local taxes are going up too....and of course, in Florida, some places are trying to tax you in Federal waters....something illegal about that!

Aren't liberal politicians something? Legends in their own minds!!!

Cannot wait!

Oh, by the way....this must be added....when are governments in general going to realize that raising taxes, actually has the opposite affect?

Not holding my breath.....

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

I am now in my boat is Greece where she based.

Let me first state that the tax situation right now in Greece is very confused. Greece is facing its worse economic crisis since WWII. Everyone expects new and increased taxes. The parliament will be voting on an austerity package this week.

There is no doubt that at least Greek flagged boats, like mine, will pay more taxes. No word yet about foreign boats. As of now foreign boats with a EU flag cannot be taxed unless they are based in Greece. Non-EU boats have been taxed in the past and like everywhere in then EU if they stay for a long time are subject to a onetime VAT.

In the past, about 8 years ago a new tax was imposed on non-Greek boats with a punitive clause for boats departing Greece for a short period of time (a trick used to avoid taxes). This law was found unfair and was repealed 6 years ago. Now last year, the then conservative government (not liberal as implied by Boomerang) proposed a revised tax for foreign boats permanently based in Greece to bring it in line with the taxation on Greek flagged boats. This tax, as far as I know, has not been applied and/or enforced.

However, as I mentioned above, all bets are off with the present crisis. One hopes that the government will encourage private boats to visit Greece and not chase them away.

I will post any new information on this issue here as it develops.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
Ensign

The tax is being implemented

I have a 57 ft boat which spent 37 days in the water last year -

My boat was on Aegina for the year- out of the water - and there were a number of times where they were trying to tax me as being in Greece for longer than the 40 days - It took 4 days to sort the issue out.

No one ( neither the tax office or the port police) has any idea that this has been extended to 60 days -

It is an insane tax as if you spend 40 days there is no tax and at 41 days you pay E200/mt for a yacht (and E400/mt for a cruiser) - of 15m or longer - so for anyone not wanting to pay a stupid amount of money for a few days - make sure your boat is less than 15 m

If anyone else knows anything please can you advise me
Old 12-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmic View Post

The tax is being implemented

I have a 57 ft boat which spent 37 days in the water last year -

My boat was on Aegina for the year- out of the water - and there were a number of times where they were trying to tax me as being in Greece for longer than the 40 days - It took 4 days to sort the issue out.

No one ( neither the tax office or the port police) has any idea that this has been extended to 60 days -

It is an insane tax as if you spend 40 days there is no tax and at 41 days you pay E200/mt for a yacht (and E400/mt for a cruiser) - of 15m or longer - so for anyone not wanting to pay a stupid amount of money for a few days - make sure your boat is less than 15 m

If anyone else knows anything please can you advise me
Please could you let me know when you paid this. I'm given to understand by the RYA that the tax was implemented for a while in the early summer and then suspended or some such like. Were you caught during the period when the tax was in force? I'd like to know as I'm thinking of buying a 17m boat and want to keep it in Greece. Obviously if they're collecting the tax then it's a no go.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Can anyone answer the following--

How to they calculate the "over 15 meters"? Is it based upon the boat's registration--in my case this would be the US Documentation? Or, do they measure? Just curious (since I'm not in the EU) but for many US sailing vessels, this actually is an important distinction. In the case of our vessel, the US Documentation has us at 47' (that measurement is based on "verticals" thus the stem to the rudder stock and doesn't include overhangs of bow and stern) which would have us under 15 meters by a smidgen (47*12/39) but our length on deck is 54' and our sparred length even more.

Further, if a Non-EU flagged vessel has paid EU VAT (for example US flagged vessel spending years in EU), then would that vessel still pay this duty/tax?

Here in the USA, we do have a very similar problem where numerous states are imposing "use tax/property tax" on boats that are in the particular state's waters for more than a specified period of time. Some states, I understand have 30 and 60 day limits w/o tax, others have 90 day and 6 month limits. The issue becomes that one can pay use/property tax in multiple states, which is an unintended consequence of the active enforcement of these laws.

Thanks!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post

Can anyone answer the following--

How to they calculate the "over 15 meters"? Is it based upon the boat's registration--in my case this would be the US Documentation? Or, do they measure? Just curious (since I'm not in the EU) but for many US sailing vessels, this actually is an important distinction. In the case of our vessel, the US Documentation has us at 47' (that measurement is based on "verticals" thus the stem to the rudder stock and doesn't include overhangs of bow and stern) which would have us under 15 meters by a smidgen (47*12/39) but our length on deck is 54' and our sparred length even more.

Further, if a Non-EU flagged vessel has paid EU VAT (for example US flagged vessel spending years in EU), then would that vessel still pay this duty/tax?

Here in the USA, we do have a very similar problem where numerous states are imposing "use tax/property tax" on boats that are in the particular state's waters for more than a specified period of time. Some states, I understand have 30 and 60 day limits w/o tax, others have 90 day and 6 month limits. The issue becomes that one can pay use/property tax in multiple states, which is an unintended consequence of the active enforcement of these laws.

Thanks!
Even though they may or may not have implemented this tax regime, I know from past experience that the Port Police, who administer this tax, treat all these taxes, harbour dues, etc. as a paperwork exercise. The guys collecting the money and issuing the receipts and documents rarely set foot outside their offices. Lower ranks have to do the footwork round the harbours. Also estimating length when you are moored stern or bows to is next to impossible.

From what I understand everyone pays this tax unless they are a genuine Greek flagged charter boat.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Mike

Our Mod "Istioploos" spends six months of the year on his boat in Greece so he would be one to assist you. Unfortunately, he has just left for a holiday in Kenya and will be offline for about two weeks.

Perhaps others may be along shortly that could answer your questions but, things are a little quiet on the forum heading up to the Christmas weekend.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greece