Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
Ensign

The last 3 weeks of September in Central and Southern Dalamatia is a short window of time that provides an ideal playground for sailing and island hopping.

I exclude the first week of September, just in case, as the weather can be unstable between the "Vela Gospa" religious festival (15[sup]th[/sup] Aug) and the beginning of September. It can get quite humid and the risk of short storms and rain is higher than almost any other time of year.

What makes this period ideal for sailing? Well the Italian Feragosto ends in late August, and the marina's become much easier to access later in the day compared to the majority of August.

This means that you can sail all day without worrying about planning your overnight berthing.

The average temperature is in the mid twenties, which is pleasant without being too hot, and the wind conditions are stable, with a comfortable prevailing NW breeze on most days.

So it all sounds a bit like late May or June, well the difference is that the sea is still very warm from the peak season, often in the mid twenties, and you can still get that summer holiday feel, compared to the fresher seas of late spring.

The night temperature is also much closer to the daytime temperature, which means sleeping on a yacht that isn't air-conditioned or heated is more comfortable.

The social side of things is also pretty vibrant at this time of year. While the hordes of tourists have left by now, the bars and restaurants are still buzzing with a relaxed post summer feel, and there is plenty of after hours fun to be had, as most nightclubs as still open during mid September (and some of these don't even open until mid July).

The summer feel starts to fade slowly towards the last week of September, and while it is still a good time to go, If the social side of sailing is important then I wouldn't recommend going after the 15[sup]th[/sup] Oct, when most of the islands bars and restaurants shut down into their winter hibernation, after the Vis regatta, the last big social event of the Summer.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Ensign

Hi,

I'm chartering my very first yacht bareboat on the 20th September from Sibenik. Sounds from your experience that I couldn't have chosen a better time or place! Have you any highlights you'd recommend? We're probably going to head up North from Sibenik up through Kornati?

Thanks,

Ed

Old 10-15-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardMontague View Post
Hi,

I'm chartering my very first yacht bareboat on the 20th September from Sibenik. Sounds from your experience that I couldn't have chosen a better time or place! Have you any highlights you'd recommend? We're probably going to head up North from Sibenik up through Kornati?

Thanks,

Ed
Hi Ed,

Well you've been and gone since you asked the question so I'd be interested to know which way you went. I'd personally favour heading south and about - which is the area we spent most time in last summer.

Anyway - hope you enjoyed Croiatia as much as we did.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 12-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardMontague View Post
Hi,

Thanks,

Ed
Hi Ed,

I have chartered in Adriatic a half dozen times over the last few years. Sibernik is a great place to start. Be aware that you are chartering near the end of the season so the boats could be pretty beat up. During the high season, they only fix the things that you find and tell them to fix. Preventive maintenance is performed in the winter. Tourism is a very important part of the Croatian economy, so the authorities aren't very particular about who charters a boat, so expect to find unofficial anchorages full of boats without anchor lights, etc.

I have found the Kornati to be rather baren. I, too, reocmmend further south. Bigger islands, bigger villages fasinating culture.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Commander

I would also recommend Vis and Hvar, My favourite place is this:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...01811&t=h&z=16

My question is: how the weather looks like near oct 23?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwas View Post

I would also recommend Vis and Hvar, My favourite place is this:

http://maps.google.c....01811&t=h&z=16

My question is: how the weather looks like near oct 23?
Weather is more rough at that period, still can be enjoyable but can't be promised as in september. I work as a skipper in Croatia last 6 years, have been in Greece and in Turkey, but Croatia is number 1 in my oppinion, not only because is my home country...
Old 09-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: Auckland

Hello, the weather can be a bit rough in October, yes , maybe it isn't the best because of the wind, but it all depends from season to season. Greece is very nice to sail in, but i agree, sailing in Croatia is number 1, i've spent many lovely seasons there

Tags
croatia