Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #21
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwas' date='16 July 2010 - 04:44 PM View Post

In the meanwhile western countries apparently still think that giving citizen's money to murderers and pirates is better than giving taxpayer money to get the country in its feet.

Yes, citizens pay the higher price for the goods at the end. The extra expenses go to security people (murderers) and pirates.
I would not blame the governments for the problem with Somalia pirates, though their inaction is shameful. Blame the insurance companies for the freight companies for supporting the piracy by their payment of big ransoms for their ships. The first multimillion ransom provided the funds to more aggresively arm the pirates and better supply them with assault vessels and a "mother ship". Now it is big business in Somalia, and it is much more difficult to stop. It is no longer a few very brave men in a couple fast boats. Now it's hundreds of young men looking to make a fortune in a day, and it's dozens of very fast boats.

A bit like the plague. Stop it when only a few are infected and you can stop it in its tracks, but once it gets a foothold it's a disaster popping up everywhere. A HYDRA with no Hercules to kill it.

Magwas, I think that you were a bit harsh there, though perhaps the events of the past few years deserve that type of comment. But could we tone down the political comments? I'd rather be sailing.

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #22
Admiral

Do we have any news on the fate of the Cruising couple by the name of Chandler who were kidnapped by Somali pirates from their boat last October 2009 ????

Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #23
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Unfortunately non form sources I can get a second source on. To put that in plan talk it means the sources I am finding are not backed up by any source that I can say is trustworthy for the information they provide. There is some info out there but most of it is shaky. Sorry wish I could be of more help.

Michael
Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #24
Commander

Jeanne, i am sorry for being harsh, but the situation itself is.

As the somali situation is basically a political one, it is impossible to comment on it without mentioning politics, especially knowing that the main reason stated behind the very existence of UN is to prevent such situations.

I yanked the rest of my comment and try to be quiet in this this topic, but I think it is important to know why we cannot just peacefully sail there.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #25
Admiral

Does anyone, or does any news organization have any information of any kind - good or bad regarding this hapless couple.

The statistics for this year have at least shown a decline of interest by Somali Pirates in taking yachts and their crews into bondage.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #26
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

outside of the fact that the town has been taken by Islamic extremists who have said that they intend to find them and free them, No. Last news I found was 9th of May in any of three languages (English, Italian, French). If anyone can find a source of more up to date information please post.

Michael
Old 10-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #27
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Oct. 7, 2010.

Sea-jacked British couple, Paul and Rachel Chandler, aged 59 and 56, were abducted from their 38-ft yacht S/Y LYNN RIVAL, seized October 22, 2009 en route to Tanzania, and are still held in Somalia. The yacht was recovered by the crew of UK naval vessel Waveknight, after they witnessed the transfer of the Chandlers to commandeered MV KOTA WAJAR. The yacht was brought back to England. The elderly couple is now held on land close to Adado, sometimes separated for fear of a commando attack.

The case is turning more and more ugly with pirates becoming brutal, politicians ignorant and the financially incapable family intimidated by several sidelines, whose money-guided approach is undermining bids by local elders, human rights groups and the Somali Diaspora to get the innocent couple free. Some humanitarian efforts, however, have succeeded and Somali elders, respected leaders and the Somali Diaspora have renewed their demand for an unconditional release.

Latest reports from the ground say that the couple is now treated better, though they often are kept separated for fear of a military rescue attempt. Since the health of both elderly people at the beginning of the year was reportedly deteriorating rapidly relief and medicine has been sent by a humanitarian organization and was received by the couple.

Repeatedly rumours were spread concerning attacks, wounding or killing one of the hostages and also about a release managed by the TFG, but all these stories became so far not true.

With former British Premier Gordon Brown gone, some believed that the incoming politicians under conservative Premier David Cameron maybe would be more rational and humanitarian minded, would not abandon their citizens but would extend help to solve the appalling case. Unfortunately for the elderly couple in captivity also the new government in the UK made it clear that no ransom would be paid by the British government and British MPs, who had enough and wanted to cut through, were quickly whistled back.

Professor Mohamed Omar Dalha, the Minister for Rehabilitation and Social Affairs of the Somali Transitional Federal Government of Somalia had repeatedly been pleading with the hostage takers to release the couple, but to no avail.

Also, the direct approach by the family seems to have had some not so successful advisers, because an attempt to free the Chandlers mid June 2010 didn't work out, while the family according to Reuters allegedly already lost the 430,000 US$ they had collected by paying that amount blindly to to elders involved in the negotiations, a clan chief told Reuters. The pirates had demanded a $7 million ransom for the couple, but reduced the figure to less than $1 million.

Most recently the British officials who still hold a firm grip on the next of kin of the abducted couple, seem to have embarked on a campaign under the motto: "If we can't get them free, nobody else shall!" and concentrated their efforts not on uniting capable people and available resources to get a solution, but to just frustrate any independent effort. Such can be summarized as factual abandonment, though - in order to be fair - it also must be stated very clearly that neither the Transitional Federal Government, be it President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed himself, nor the Prime-Minister or several cabinet-ministers, who all promised to get the hostages free, have achieved anything. Likewise the Somali Diaspora, who apparently collected money, which now is said to have disappeared, did also not prove to be helpful.

With next of kin in retreat, the British government blocking, officials incapable, the media gagged and even friends helpless, the chances of the Chandlers look bleak, while fundamentalist Al-Shabaab are approaching the area where they are held.

The last proof of life from the couple dates from mid September 2010.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:36 AM   #28
Admiral

Britain trying to obtain release of the Chandlers taken as a hostage :-

HOSTAGE LINK
Old 10-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #29
Retired Mod

.... "Please help us, these people are not treating us well," said Rachel Chandler. "I'm old, I'm 56 and my husband is 60 years old. We need to be together because we have not much time left."

According to a source close to the negotiations, the Chandlers are now together after being held for months in separate locations near the central Somali town of Amara. ...

Latest update - HERE

Old 11-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #30
Admiral

There is a report circulating that the Chandlers have been released by the pirates.

HOWEVER the BBC make no mention of this in their latest bulletin an hour ago.

CLICK
Old 11-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #31
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

There is a report circulating that the Chandlers have been released by the pirates.

HOWEVER the BBC make no mention of this in their latest bulletin an hour ago.

CLICK
Now confirmed by many Reputable News Sources.

Great news for them, their families, friends and all who ply the seas.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #32
Retired Mod

Fantastic news!

Story - HERE

Old 11-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #33
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to gslabbert5119

Yeah really cool, saw this on the news this morning, still unfortunately a ransom was paid. Still they are alive and well.

https://BlueWaterCruising.com

https://photographybygavin.com

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
gslabbert5119 is offline   Reply With Quote